Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wintergrass 2015

RedKnucklesUnclesCousin GKWilson's Avatar

Default Re: Wintergrass 2015

Still jammin' hard at 1:30!!! Tai's my new hero.
    Wintergrass is so much fun. Just walking down the hallways jam after jam going on.
    And you never know who might join in. Some of your Bluegrass hero's standing right
    next to you. And on the other side some young gun like Tai. And not just holding their
    own, but pushing us old guys around [musically speaking]. Gotta love it.

That's Jason Bowerman playing fiddle next to Tai.
    He builds great Tenor 4,5, and 8 string guitars.
    He built my Tenor when he was in the Breedlove custom guitar shop.
    He showed me his second F5 mandolin he just finished. He isn't selling them.
    But, I checked it out and it's perfect and beautiful in every way.
    So, somewhere down the road we'll probably start seeing some.
    Gary
    vincit qui se vincit

2. The following members say thank you to GKWilson for this post:

It was a great time. Gets better every year since I know more of you great folks to jam with. All the bands were great, but my favorite show was "I Draw Slow". Sunday of Wintergrass after the kids show always feels like the day after Christmas; sorry it's over so soon. At least I get to jam with my local bluegrass club tomorrow, and I'll see The Henhouse Prowlers this Friday and Fruition next Saturday.

4. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

The BG changed to Irish when the whiskey was brought out...

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eddie Sheehy For This Useful Post:

Wow ~ where to begin ... the last week has been a whirlwind of music and driving. I can't say enough good things about the Wintergrass Youth Academy program that they put on. The kids went from 8:30am to 9:00pm with a couple of breaks for food. In the morning and afternoon they did small and large group activities and prepared for their performance Friday evening. They even got to sing Happy Birthday to Del McCoury friday afternoon up on stage! From 6-9pm there was a Youth Jam in one of the rooms that Ben Hunter and Joe Seamons lead. These guys were amazing with the kids and some great friendships were made.

Friday night we caught Don Julin and Billy Strings up on the 3rd floor and man those guys can play. I also really enjoyed his workshop and was officially my first lesson as a mandolin player after almost 5 1/2 years of playing. After leaving the show around midnight, Jason Bowerman and gang were jamming at the top of the stairs and invited my oldest son, Tai, to join in. That's the jam that the video was posted from earlier. Jason is a great guy and we always enjoy spending time with him. The reddish/brown dred in the jam was Jason's guitar and it sounded awesome. The guitar players were passing it around and drooling on it

Saturday morning we went looking for a fiddle for Tai but left empty handed. Again, Jason introduced us to a few very knowledgeable people (you never know who you will see at Wintergrass) and helped Tai out trying different fiddles and explaining what to look for and what to avoid when looking for an instrument. He's been renting a fiddle for about 6 months and has gotten a taste of what the nicer ones sound and play like.

Tristan Scroggins and Ronnie McCoury's workshop were entertaining and they played us a few things, but we didn't touch our mandolins. Tim Connell had us playing in his Gypsy, Jazz & Swing Chords for Mandolin workshop and was a bit too advanced for me. I was understanding what he was saying, but my fingers couldn't move fast enough. Tai on the other hand was eating it up.

Tai and Ekou (my youngest son - also playing mandolin) asked me if they could post this video on the Mandolin Cafe. After the youth jam on Saturday night, the kids went down to one of the main hallways and opened a case and jammed for another couple of hours. They had been playing 10-12 hours for the past 3 days and just didn't want to stop. As a parent it was amazing to watch the friendships and music grow in them. We'll definitely be back next year

Last edited by Denman John; Mar-04-2015 at 2:52am.
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Denman John For This Useful Post:

This photo shot by old buddy Craig (builds outstanding mandolins, but is not the greatest photographer) Wilson pictures me with the $17K octave Big Sky Girl referred to in her earlier post. Crafted by Mike Kemnitzer, it is I believe one of only two he ever built. It's in amazingly fine condition, sounds terrific, and $17K doesn't seem like a bad deal at all for a giant Nugget.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nugget-Wintergrass Feb 2015.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	136.8 KB 
ID:	131323

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogle For This Useful Post:

RedKnucklesUnclesCousin GKWilson's Avatar

I saw you playing that bad boy Bogle.
    I would have hung around and said hi if I new you were a member.
    I went through that door behind you to see Austin Clark.
    I found Lawrence Smart, Cahalan Morrison and Greg Spatz jamming on
    some of Austin's tasty toys. Nice.
    Greg [a John Reischman Bluejay] and his wife [in the WA. BG Hall of Fame]
    were selling fiddles next to Jason and his guitars. That's probably who Denman
    John spoke to. As it seems to happen in BG they're great people.
    Glad you and the boys had a good time D John.
    Eddie and I were looking for you. I hope he found you. Hope to see you next year.
    Gary
    vincit qui se vincit

GKWilson is correct, it was Greg Spatz and his wife who were helping us out. I forget her name, (Welsh), but I know it took me 3 tries to pronounce it somewhat similar. She has been doing repairs and restorations for the past 8 years and is now apprenticing with Jonathan Cooper (who's booth it was). She had her first build there and a student Chinese fiddle that she modified and finished. Very nice, but a little out of our price range at this time. Jonathan Cooper's violins started at $15,000 and they were incredible.

Out of the 3 mandolins that Austin Clark had, the 2 point spoke to me the most. I didn't know that Jason Bowerman had a mandolin with him. From his guitars and an octave I've seen, I would imagine that they would be top shelf. He was the one that recommended us to go to Wintergrass a couple of years ago. We finally made it

I did bump into and introduce myself to Eddie Friday morning. I was hoping our paths would cross again ... Great playing from Cafe member John in the Don Julin's workshop ... Great people, great music and great memories ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0037.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	131416
    Last edited by Denman John; Mar-05-2015 at 10:28pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Denman John View Post
    Out of the 3 mandolins that Austin Clark had, the 2 point spoke to me the most.
    I liked Austin's 2 point a lot as well, probably my fave of his instruments, but he also had a really nice F5 that had just been strung up a week prior to Wintergrass that was going to be a winner for someone for sure.

David

14. The following members say thank you to DSDarr for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DSDarr View Post
    I liked Austin's 2 point a lot as well, probably my fave of his instruments, but he also had a really nice F5 that had just been strung up a week prior to Wintergrass that was going to be a winner for someone for sure.

David
    I really enjoyed spending time with Austin and playing his mandolins. Really good guy that just happens to build incredible mandolin family instruments. My son preferred one of his F5's and I liked the 2 point ~ you can't go wrong either way. I don't really like the looks of most 2 point mandolins, but that one just felt right in my hands. Nice neck profile, great setup and a little rounder tone that had hints of an oval hole sound. Take what you will from it. That was the nicest sounding and playing mandolin I played at Wintergrass, other than my own. I probably won't be in the market for another mandolin for at least a couple of years, but if I were, I'd be on that one! Saw a really nice Heiden in Don Julin's workshop. Checked out a Northfield and couple of Collings that were nice. I also briefly checked out Cafe member John's Sonny Morris F4 that was really good. It had a nice organic look and it felt and sounded very nice! So many nice instruments there ...

16. The following members say thank you to Denman John for this post:

Caridwen Irvine-Spatz

18. The following members say thank you to bobrem for this post:

Looks like I left my Bluechip CT-55, with Sorensen logo on the back, behind at Wintergrass. Whoever found it please enjoy picking with it and spread the good word about Sorensen mandolins...