Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chicago July 3-5 The Dead anyone going

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Default Chicago July 3-5 The Dead anyone going

Anyone going to Chicago July 3-5 to see the dead. I am thinking about going i have a lot of friends that are ordering tickets now. Wish David would show up that would make it worth it
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Default Re: Chicago July 3-5 The Dead anyone going

Yep, sent off my mail order yesterday. I think it's gonna be a tough ticket to get.

The Dead died with Jerry Garcia. Anything else is just a cover band.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave Hausner For This Useful Post:

My brother asked if I wanted to shuffle off to Chicago to see them. I am on the fence. Although the cost would be astronomical for me, tickets, plus airfare and hotel and food, I am uncertain if I would enjoy it. I saw the first further show back at Liberty State Park in Jersey. Rat dog with Johnny Johnson. Johnny was great! But I kept thinking to myself that this is the best it will ever be again, and I was sad. Not that Ratdog isn't good on their own. It seemed over, which was a hard pill to swallow. Not sure how I would feel this many years later seeing them, with the obvious missing portion. I have heard may of the Other Ones shows on the dead channel, and many of Phil and Bobbies shows as well. They always make me feel like they are missing something. Hearing them with the guitar player from Dark Star was weird as well. Kind of like Elvis's band from the 70's backing an Elvis impersonator. Great band, but not Elvis.

Every now and then I will put a Dead show up on youtube. At first I am happy, then comes the sadness of what I have lost forever. Great memories , but I am uncertain that they can live up to. I know thats unfair to the surviving members who are just trying to go further themselves.
    Its not a backwards guitar.

I am not sure if we are going either, everyone's right not the same without Jerry, and Trey Anastasio will be playing his parts so i guess a lot of his fans will be going he is a good guitar player but he isn't Jerry, Bruce will be there but no word about Grisman yet
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster

I'm with Freddy. I want to go but I also want to relive that experience I had back in the day and that's just not going to happen. I think I'd rather miss the show then be disappointed. Did Grisman ever tour with them?

I agree with Dave. just cant see them without Jerry. All good things come to and end. Unfortunately I think that was 1986 with the Dead when Jerry went into that coma from apsist

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hausner View Post
    The Dead died with Jerry Garcia. Anything else is just a cover band.
    Personally, I'd say they went on life support when PigPen went.....

10. The following members say thank you to jshane for this post:

I was a serious Head for quite some time. I saw 200+ shows from 1985-1993, JGB and related. The memories and non-memories are cherished beyond measure.

However, I do not like stadiums, Chicago Summers can be Hot and humid, hot and wet, and 60K+ people plus the hassles just doesn't sound like fun. I can see Phil Lesh at TXR very easily in an intimate setting. If I go, I'd be for Hornsby oddy enough.

For me? No. For others? Have a blast!
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Spruce For This Useful Post:

Danced on the stage back in '67 when they gave a couple of free concerts here in New York. Hard to imagine traveling to Chicago and paying all that $$$ for a stadium concert.

That website is straight out of the sixties No links and snail mail tickets? Do they expect cash too?

mm

Quote Originally Posted by jshane View Post
    Personally, I'd say they went on life support when PigPen went.....
    Nah, the first couple of years post Pigpen were their best (72-74)

I don't really know why they are billing it as "playing the place they last played together in '95".
    The remaining band members played together as The Other Ones and The Dead since then.

Unless Jerry is climbing out of San Fransisco Bay (and the Ganges River) intact, it's just another post-Dead reunion....albeit, likely, the last one. (Which does make it more enticing. )

I know myself though. At the end of the run, I'll just be sad. Once again, I'll be lamenting the thing that once was, but is no more. I'm going to have to pass.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Uh, no, man, I'll be, like, groovin' at the Rainbow Gathering. I don't know just yet if it's gonna be in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, Illinois, or South Dakota. Hey, they got half a year to get it together, it'll happen. But, hey man, I ain't gonna be in no city, where The Man lives, with all the plastic people, in, like, a totally unnatural environment. I mean, whoa, man!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Rip, jh

There were 2 'Warlocks" in the Bay area in the Early 60s , One was the kids, my Friends,
    in My Highschool Class ..

the other band Changed their Name.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Rip, jh

Looks like i won't be going either. But i did get to see them a lot with Jerry. Would have loved to see Jerry with Grisman. I have seen David a lot of times.

I remember when Jerry died i was working in San Francisco, so i got to go to the polo fields everyone was there for many nights and i got to go to the official memorial, didn't have my mandolin with me but i did take my electric a red jackson with a battery operated amp, fun and sad at the same time
    Kiso Suzuki V900,

Quote Originally Posted by thistle3585 View Post
    Did Grisman ever tour with them?
    No, though he did sit in one show:
    https://archive.org/details/gd70-09-...583.sbeok.shnf
    David Nelson is playing mandolin also, hard to tell which songs who is what, but the Deadlists Project says:
    "SET 1 is acoustic Dead, the complete set. David Grisman plays mandolin on Friend Of The Devil, David Nelson joins with another mandolin on Big Railroad Blues; both continue through Ripple. There is a hint of harmonica on Dark Hollow, presumably Pigpen's. The instrumentation on To Lay Me Down is hard to figure but the electric guitar is probably Bobby and Jim Wise may be right that the piano is Jerry on this tune. The piano on Truckin' is Pigpen, however. Nelson & Grisman return on mandolin for Rosalie McFall. Jerry switches to electric guitar for Cumberland and New Speedway, then back to acoustic for Brokedown Palace. Pigpen plays piano again on this tune."

I think the gathering will be more about the nostalgia than the actual music over the three days at Soldier Field. I think they should have the shows in San Francisco, personally. It was at that last show at Soldier Field that Jerry said it was the first time he'd ever been scared of the Deadheads as they started pouring into the stadium over the back wall. Some friends of mine were there and they said it was out of hand. Not good juju in my book.

I will never forget the 70 Dead shows and 15 JGB shows that I had the fortune to go to...I wouldn't trade those memories for anything. Jerry gave me my musical voice and was very much a father figure for me at a time when I was not close with my own father. There will be people who understand this sentiment, and there will be people who will scoff at it. The Dead experience was truly unique in so many ways and unless you were a part of it, there's no way to convey how amazing it all was. It'd be like trying to explain an acid trip to someone who's never taken acid, or trying to explain color to a blind person...

W
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Smyth View Post
    I think the gathering will be more about the nostalgia than the actual music over the three days at Soldier Field. I think they should have the shows in San Francisco, personally. It was at that last show at Soldier Field that Jerry said it was the first time he'd ever been scared of the Deadheads as they started pouring into the stadium over the back wall. Some friends of mine were there and they said it was out of hand. Not good juju in my book.

I will never forget the 70 Dead shows and 15 JGB shows that I had the fortune to go to...I wouldn't trade those memories for anything. Jerry gave me my musical voice and was very much a father figure for me at a time when I was not close with my own father. There will be people who understand this sentiment, and there will be people who will scoff at it. The Dead experience was truly unique in so many ways and unless you were a part of it, there's no way to convey how amazing it all was. It'd be like trying to explain an acid trip to someone who's never taken acid, or trying to explain color to a blind person...

Or, I guess, you could just give acid to the blind person. ��

That's actually a pretty brilliant comeback, Barry!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Smyth View Post
    It was at that last show at Soldier Field that Jerry said it was the first time he'd ever been scared of the Deadheads as they started pouring into the stadium over the back wall. Some friends of mine were there and they said it was out of hand. Not good juju in my book....
    That happened at Deer Creek about a week before the final shows at Soldier Field. I was at both and the fence coming down at Deer Creek was flat out nuts. They cancelled the second show at Deer Creek and the mood the next day was indeed very somber. There were no crowd issues at Soldier Field.
    The band has stated they chose Soldier Field for these shows because of its central location to allow for ease of travel for the highest numbers of fans. And I do believe this is the first and last time the Core Four will play together since Jerry's passing. In all of the other post-Dead incarnations it was usually Bill K that was absent. Rumors abound about their inability to get along these days, so putting together this run is no small feat. And the choice of Trey for the lead guitar slot is a direct result of them not wanting a Jerry clone, and Phil's deep respect of Trey as a musician. Bill has been quite outspoken about his disdain for Jerry clones, and his dislike of Dark Star Orchestra in particular.
    I really wish I could make it to Chicago for the run, but the cost of tickets, travel, and lodging are well beyond my means. I'll be watching the high-def stream from the comfort of my home. Yeah, it's not the same, but I'll take what I can get. It's going to be a helluva party and three fantastic nights of music. Those guys can still play better than anyone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	129363

deleted
    2014 Weber F Style Yellowstone HT
    2014 Weber "Special Edition"
    2012 The Loar LM 500 VS