Thread: Breedlove Crossover

Default Breedlove Crossover

I am stoked... Just picked the up the Crossover last night-so easy to play My Kentucky is a a-style w/f holes . This Breedlove is black with, what I call a matte finish and a oval hole Wow - what a difference in sound. Brighter would be a good. It is easier to play or just my imagination playing tricks on me. MAS has definitely struck I love this Crossover. Just wanted to gush, sorry if I slobbered,in the process. Later. Joni. PS. Still love my Kentucky

2. The following members say thank you to Joni for this post:

Default Re: Breedlove Crossover

HI Joni,

Congratulations on the new mandolin. You can never have too many!
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Still love your Kentucky? Looks like you are going to be one that can do a good job of catching but a poor job releasing. Soon you'll have a house full of mandolins and NEED just one more, believe me I know from personal experience.

I got a chance to play the cross overs and I did like them. I have an Eastman 505 which is great but I did like the neck on the corss over better. Sound was very nice too. Enjoy it!

I still have my Kay-Dad bought me the Kay from Sears. The bridge isn't adjustable and very hard to play This was eons ago, fast forward 2 1/2 years ago- I started taking lessons again and picked up my Kentucky - much easier to play-when I was 7 or 8. I didn't know about low action or anything. So I am very happy about this gorgeous Breedlove. I will try not to totally ignore my Kentucky although I think it's gonna be tough. Joni

Love mine also . Same as yours, black oval hole .
    I did add a pickguard and also a strap post on the neck heel , which took it to another higher
    level than it already was .
    Have mine hanging on a wall and it's usually the first go to mandolin each morning .
    Congrats and enjoy !

Nicely done! Hope is does well for you for years to come.
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

I also got a Crossover this week. Mine is the oval hole model with the honey amber finish. I really am enjoying this thing, plays like butter and the tone is warm. Can't beat it for the price!

I got the Crossover OO last month, and am very satisfied with it. Definitely has a thicker than average neck and wide nut which makes for comfortable playing and it feels solid in the hand. The arch is very slight, almost like a hybrid between a flat top and an arch top, but I don't find that problematic at all as I like that sound. For a sub-$300 instrument you can't go wrong; it plays and is constructed like a $500 instrument easily.

It does have a chunky neck in comparison to most mandolins, but I like my Crossover OO. Enjoy Joni.
    -Jim

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Congrats Joni on the new Breedlove!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Hi All- New member and mandolin beginner. Just got my black OO Crossover this week ($230). It's a 2014 with laminate sides/back. I noticed the 2015 Crossovers are all solid wood, but I couldn't find one for less than $499. I chose the BL because of the wider nut and being a BL guitar lover/player. Still, man those frets are so close together. I'm amazed that players with larger hands are able to get such clear notes out of the shorter nut widths. I've never really handled another mandolin, so I'm not sure how the BL compares, but I'm happy so many on this forum have given it a thumbs up.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to starting to learn and participating in the forum. Anyone found a set of strings for the Crossover they're in love with?

Thanks,