Thread: Old Ellis F5 vs New Ellis F5

Default Re: Old Ellis F5 vs New Ellis F5

How about Ellis F5 Exclusive?
    Cathy Pelosi

Precision Pearl Inc.
    Ellis Mandolins
    Pava Mandolins

Got my strings from Elderly and put on the EXP74CMs. They sound fantastic. More even, full, and less brash than the J74s.

Quote Originally Posted by JWalterWeatherman View Post
    Got my strings from Elderly and put on the EXP74CMs. They sound fantastic. More even, full, and less brash than the J74s.

Tolja...And they settle in real nice. Cheers.
    2017 Ellis F5 Special #438

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	064.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	204.1 KB 
ID:	134369Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0129.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	156.8 KB 
ID:	134370

Here are a few photos of Ellis #42 (an old one! 1985 January issue...as appearing in Frets Magazine and a some others)....
    Jason
    www.fauxgrassmusic.com

That mandolin is a killer instrument and Tom did a fantastic job setting this one up when i acquired it last year. He did a refret, replaced the pickguard, a new james tailpiece and a great set up...its a dream! it records very well, looks awesome and is very inspiring to spend time with because of the tone and character...I love Ellis mandolins!

6. The following members say thank you to MandoJason for this post:

Gryphon Strings in Palo Alto just took in a 2015 Ellis F5 on consignment, so I went down there yesterday with a mandobuddy to play it. Its tone was tremendous up and down the neck and the strings --- strong on melody and chop. Whether I played it quietly or at full throttle, it sounded gorgeous. My wallet insisted that I hand it back, though.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Interesting to see this pop up. I was thinking about posting a thread comparing Pava to Ellis. I'm not sure if it's a fair comparison except that Tom himself says in his Fretboard Journal video that they're close to the same product, sonically at least.

I owned an Ellis F5 in the past that was so far above my playing level that I was a little embarrassed play it, which I eventually sold to chip at my mortgage. I currently have a Pava A that sounds wonderful and I'm not afraid to play out either for fear of damaging it or a sense of personal humility. It's a great fit for me, but it doesn't keep me from coveting a return to Ellis. Those A4s look mighty sweet.

I'm MarcusCA's mando buddy, and yes, the Ellis at Gryphon was stellar. Big, strong voice throughout, easy to play, perfect fit/finish. I also just bought Pava #262 from Sylvan Music two weeks ago. After a long conversation with another mando buddy at River of the West, I came to the conclusion that the scroll of the F does not add to the sound, and the Pava A5 has a ton of sound (scroll or no scroll)...definitely worth the money. As for a side by side with the Ellis, I'm content knowing that, as my RoW mando buddy reminded me, both Pava and Ellis come from the same shop, so all instruments get the same TLC, etc. It really shows. When considering the 'mandonomics' of it all, I can't wrap my head around how a 10K instrument and a 2.5K instrument coming from the same shop have 7.5K difference in tone, playability, etc. For us, the ongoing musical research is fascinating and fun, for sure, however. I'll be content to continue doing blind side by sides, picking high end mandolins as a kind of musical welfare service for the likes of Gryphon and Sylvan. Those instruments need to be played!!!
    ma dh'fheumas tu tarraing, dčan sin gu socair

Instruments

Mann 2 Point - 2011
    Girouard Mandola - 2013
    Pava A5 - 2019

10. The following members say thank you to Toycona for this post:

I do have a question for Ellis owners out there - what how many has he produced so far? I know that Pava is in the 300s now and was curious if Mr. Ellis cracked the 400 threshold yet.
    ma dh'fheumas tu tarraing, dčan sin gu socair

Instruments

Mann 2 Point - 2011
    Girouard Mandola - 2013
    Pava A5 - 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Toycona View Post
    I'm MarcusCA's mando buddy, and yes, the Ellis at Gryphon was stellar. Big, strong voice throughout, easy to play, perfect fit/finish. I also just bought Pava #262 from Sylvan Music two weeks ago. After a long conversation with another mando buddy at River of the West, I came to the conclusion that the scroll of the F does not add to the sound, and the Pava A5 has a ton of sound (scroll or no scroll)...definitely worth the money. As for a side by side with the Ellis, I'm content knowing that, as my RoW mando buddy reminded me, both Pava and Ellis come from the same shop, so all instruments get the same TLC, etc. It really shows. When considering the 'mandonomics' of it all, I can't wrap my head around how a 10K instrument and a 2.5K instrument coming from the same shop have 7.5K difference in tone, playability, etc. For us, the ongoing musical research is fascinating and fun, for sure, however. I'll be content to continue doing blind side by sides, picking high end mandolins as a kind of musical welfare service for the likes of Gryphon and Sylvan. Those instruments need to be played!!!
    I have a Pava and have played several others. Also played and heard a handful of Ellis mandolins. Hard to quantify, but the Ellises in general had a more sophisticated, complex tone, though the difference was small. Sound-wise it might be hard to justify a 10k difference between a Pava Satin A and an Ellis F5 Special or Reserve (especially if I’ m trying to justify it to my wife). But, and no knock on Pava, IMHO no one makes a better looking mandolin than Ellis. If I had the means I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Toycona View Post
    I do have a question for Ellis owners out there - what how many has he produced so far? I know that Pava is in the 300s now and was curious if Mr. Ellis cracked the 400 threshold yet.
    #464 was the subject of a recent Facebook build thread. I believe this is either the most recent at TME or the NAMM mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Martin View Post
    I ... IMHO no one makes a better looking mandolin than Ellis. If I had the means I would buy one in a heartbeat.
    Me too. I doubt I'd spring for another F5, but an A5 or A4 would be really special to own.

I believe #464 now is in the possession of Scott R. Based on his signature here https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...MM-2019-Report
    Mandolin: Kentucky KM150
    Other instruments: way too many, and yet, not nearly enough.

My blog: https://theoffgridmusician.music.blog/
    My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChF...yWuaTrtB4YORAg
    My Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/africanbanjogunnar/
    Free backing tracks:
    https://backingtrackers.wordpress.com/

16. The following members say thank you to Gunnar for this post:

I live right between Sylvan and Gryphon. I'll pat myself on the back for being able to stay out of them for the most part. I've spent good money in both those fine stores. Has anyone played that birdseye Collings F5?

It is true that once you get to the level of even the cheapest Pava, or an MT, the extra money you throw at something like an Ellis doesn't get you proportional sonic dividends. But what you do get is something that pleases you. Perhaps that final (ha) sonic improvement, but certainly a satisfaction in owning a fine piece of craftsmanship, and face facts, Ellis envy among your peers.

It's very much like owning a presentation grade firearm. Functionally much the same, but aesthetically superior. But I had to laugh last week when a friend of mine loaned out my guitar at the open mic we co host. He knew I would not mind and the guitar he had was pristine. Mine was a 65 Epiphone Texan, long since past caring about the odd little ding.

I don't know if I could take an Ellis anywhere. I'd like to find out though.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post

I don't know if I could take an Ellis anywhere. I'd like to find out though.
    Just get a nice case... then play the heck out of it. I would not take one "up the jungle", but I do take mine with me every time I perform. Would not go anywhere to play without it.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

A fellow stopped in the store the other evening just as I was leaving from teaching. He'd taken a few lessons from me. He was holding a Hoffee case. He asked me to look at his Gilcrist it had a buzz on the first string. It sure is a sweet mandolin but yes it had a buzz on the E. I told him the store was closed but he could come back in the morning and the repair guy could fix that. Now they have a tone and cost perhaps a bit more than an Ellis.