Thread: Removing rust from a case hinge

Registered User Nathan Kellstadt's Avatar

Default Removing rust from a case hinge

I just got a tkl case in a trade and one of the hinges has a good amount of rust build up (otherwise the case is in good shape). Any tips for how to remove some of this? I'm not expecting it to look new, but it would be nice to put a dent in it. Thanks.

2. The following members say thank you to Nathan Kellstadt for this post:

Default Re: Removing rust from a case hinge

Quote Originally Posted by nkellstadt View Post
    I just got a tkl case in a trade and one of the hinges has a good amount of rust build up (otherwise the case is in good shape). Any tips for how to remove some of this? I'm not expecting it to look new, but it would be nice to put a dent in it. Thanks.
    If it’s right through the chrome you’ll not be able to do more than clean it up, but a good automotive product such as Autosol should do the trick.

http://www.autosol.com
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

1 dip a cotton swab with liquid wrench/penetrating oil and let it sit, wipe , repeat-this is very effective ,but you must let it sit, perhaps for several hours-

2 0000 steel wool-this or courser wool will work, but it will leave very fine scratches-probably not an issue if rusted

3 if its very bad, a dremel tool with wire buffing wheel will work-wear goggles always

4 a good metal polish after the above, usch as Flitz or Simichrome

ive personally used all of these techniques and they work-they are very controllable.

An old trick in the auto restoration world is Coca-Cola and a piece of aluminum foil. Let the soda soak for a couple of minutes and then rub it with the foil.

6. The following members say thank you to George R. Lane for this post:

A good product for removing rust used to be called "Navel Jelly", I don`t know if it is still being made or not, try a hardware store and ask for it....Just wipe it on and wipe it off after a few minutes....

Willie

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    An old trick in the auto restoration world is Coca-Cola and a piece of aluminum foil. Let the soda soak for a couple of minutes and then rub it with the foil.
    If you don't want the stickiness of the Coke, try a little white vinegar. It's the carbonic acid in the Coke and the acetic acid in the vinegar that do the work. The vinegar is stronger so you my want to start by diluting it a little.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Hoppe's No. 9 powder solvent (available at gun shops), meant for rifle and handgun bores, works pretty good.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

The white vinegar method is common for dealing with old hand tools and antiques.

Personally,i'd stay clear of anything liquid that might affect the case covering. I'd use one of the small,brass bristled, suede shoe brushes that you can buy & simply brush the rust off after masking around the hinge to prevent damage to the covering. After that,an application of any lubricant such as 3-In-One oil, which contains a rust inhibitor should work fine. A smear over the hinge with your finger is all you'll need. I've cleaned rust from more than a few banjo cases in my time & they all worked ok afterwards.
    Any bits of rust that do stay on,will only help stop the hinge becoming rusty once again,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.