Thread: What is the ideal tension for a string?

Question What is the ideal tension for a string?

What is the ideal tension for a string?
    I know, there are lots of on-line string tension calculators and string tension tables available in the web. These allow to find the string tension for a given string for a given tuning at a given scale length. And allows you to find a string for a given scale length, tuning and desired tension, which is my use case here.

But what string tension shall be our target? For a given tuning and scale length.

Some relations are obvious some are not. Lets start with the easy ones:
    - Tension shall not be too high to avoid string breakage and damage to the instrument.
    But how to find out the tension a string can stand? O.k. string tension information from the vendor for the engineered use gives a starting point, what the string should easily bear.
    - Tension shall be high enough to avoid the string to sound sloppy.
    In my definition of sloppiness relates to the dependency of string's oscillation frequency from the loudness/amplitude of this oscillation. This clearly always exists, but when it becomes noticeable or obvious, then the string tension surely is too low. This is my main interest.
    - Tension shall make playing the instrument easy (like butter )
    - Tension shall be high enough to drive the sound board and create rich tone/timbre.

But how do these factors influence each other?
    - Is it true, that heavier strings need more tension to avoid sloppiness?
    - Is it true, that longer scale length needs more tension to avoid sloppiness?
    - Is it true, that deeper tuning needs more tension to avoid sloppiness?
    - Is it true, that deeper tuning needs more tension to produce rich and loud tones?

Any comment on this is highly appreciated.
    Last edited by Toni Schula; Jan-09-2015 at 1:15pm. Reason: Added my use case

Default Re: What is the ideal tension for a string?

Apart from the technical aspects, which that chart addresses, one thing is to consider that certain stringed instruments sound the way they do due to the design and tension of the strings.

Turkish baglama sazes, for instance, are made to work with relatively lower tension strings on a very small, short bridge.
    Greek Bouzoukis use a higher tension stringing, but still a relatively low bridge.
    Irish bouzoukis usually use higher tension strings and a higher bridge.
    Gibson style mandolins use a higher tension stringing and a higher bridge.
    Neapolitan (bowlback) and many flatback mandolins use lighter gauge strings and lower bridges.

All of this contributes to the tone of the type of instrument.

Just an opinion.....now once you are talking about a specific instrument, then you can find the ideal string tension, meaning finding the ideal gauge.

Q. What is the ideal tension for a string?

A. Tuned to the proper pitch, I'd reckon...

Provided we are talking music wire, the ideal string tension is where it works the best, whatever "best" means to you, which I expect to be somewhere between rattling and breaking. I'd be happy, if a string simply feels and sounds right.
    If you want to get more serious, you might refer to the D'Addario tension chart: In a mandolin medium set, the e-strings (0.011) have a tension of 23.1 lbs, the d-strings have 23.3 lbs. The a-strings, however, of the same medium set (0.015) have only 19.7 lbs. To my experience, on some mandolins, a thicker 0.016 a-string - 21.9 lbs - (as in the GHS medium set) sounds and feels just right, which is what you would expect, since the tension is closer to both the e-strings and the d-strings. But surprisingly, on some instruments, the thinner 0.015 a-string sounds and feels better.
    Now if that's still not serious enough - refer to Roger Siminoff's findings, it's fun.
    Last edited by Hendrik Ahrend; Jan-09-2015 at 7:15pm.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    Apart from the technical aspects, which that chart addresses, one thing is to consider that certain stringed instruments sound the way they do due to the design and tension of the strings.
    Good point David, thanks for bringing it into the discussion.
    Of course the instrument is a major influence on the joice of gauge.

This time I am trying to understand the physics of an oscillating string wire in order to later do some more intelligent, more guided trial and error with an actual instrument.

I believe to understand the high border of acceptable max. tension and therefor max. gauge. I definitely do not understand the minimum border and the range in between well enough

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    Thanks Jacob. That is a very valuable ressource.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Eagle View Post
    Provided we are talking music wire, the ideal string tension is where it works the best, whatever "best" means to you, which I expect to be somewhere between rattling and breaking. I'd be happy, if a string simply feels and sounds right.
    If you want to get more serious, you might refer to the D'Addario tension chart: In a mandolin medium set, the e-strings (0.011) have a tension of 23.1 lbs, the d-strings have 23.3 lbs. The a-strings, however, of the same medium set (0.015) have only 19.7 lbs. To my experience, on some mandolins, a thicker 0.016 a-string - 21.9 lbs - (as in the GHS medium set) sounds and feels just right, which is what you would expect, since the tension is closer to both the e-strings and the d-strings. But surprisingly, on some instruments, the thinner 0.015 a-string sounds and feels better.
    Now if that's still not serious enough - refer to Roger Siminoff's findings, it's fun.
    Henry, do you mean this one String Tension: What It Means and How It Became Important

Thanks a lot. This is excellent! I will need some time to really digest it.

9. The following members say thank you to Toni Schula for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bauzl View Post
    Henry, do you mean this one String Tension: What It Means and How It Became Important

Thanks a lot. This is excellent! I will need some time to really digest it.
    Oh yeah, I meant that; Roger has done a lot of interesting research in the past - sometimes to be taken with a grain of salt IMHO.

Goldilocks and the 3 bears is an old folk tale http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sto...he_Three_Bears

Added complication is what feels right, (Porridge temp wise), for 1 person
    may be different from another ..

I Am at a Loss as to why the same J74 string feels at a higher tension on My Mix A5 and my 1922 A4 at the same Pitch,

but it Does ..

IMHO, if you really lay hard on the pick Stroke, to mortally Wound the Master-tone
    Banjo player in your Bluegrass Band with your Volume,
    you may like a higher tension string set at least on the Higher A & E..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Just a heads up - about 3 weeks ago, we launched a new tension app, designed to help players of all walks dial in the tension that they're looking for - you can find it here - www.stringtensionpro.com

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ddawson2010 For This Useful Post: