Thread: Looking for someone to help me find armrest for OM.

Registered User Ginny Aitchison's Avatar

Question Looking for someone to help me find armrest for OM.

I have searched thru mandolin cafe's forums but have been unsuccessful in locating a person or company who can make an arm rest for my newest acquisition - an Octave mandolin. I've googled names and Music stores and have had no luck. Perhaps you know of someone who is currently making these. Appreciate your help, thanks !!!

Default Re: Looking for someone to help me find armrest for OM.

Check with Doug Edwards at Hill Country Stringworks.

I second the above. Check out Doug Edwards at Hill Country Stringworks. I have two of his armrests and they are great.
    Michael A. Harris
    the dulcILLINI
    Collings MF5 Mandolin
    Collings MT2 Mandola
    McSpadden Custom Mountain Dulcimer
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Travel Guitar
    "Home is the place we grow up wanting to leave and die trying to get back to." Nash

How deep is the body of your OM? Since most people make armrests using viola clamp hardware, there are some instrument bodies just too deep to clamp. One of my mandolas is so deep that I had to make a foam armrest for it that fits on the side prongs of the tailpiece, and does not clamp to the body at all. And on my Baby Taylor OM conversion, I glued the armrest to the top (sacrilege, right? But the double sided tape kept slipping...)

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    How deep is the body of your OM? Since most people make armrests using viola clamp hardware, there are some instrument bodies just too deep to clamp....
    With standard/easily available clamps. However, you can get longer than standard clamps (up to 39 mm) here in chrome or gold color. These work on my 2-1/4" deep OM. Alternately, any machine shop can drill and tap a new turnbuckle barrel for you, just about any length you want. I have an armrest on my Eastman 'cello that opens up to 3-1/2". The barrels are 2-1/2" long. I don't care for the stick-on items; I put one on my Ovation 12 string because I couldn't come up with a clamp to work on the curved side and back.

Thanks..I emailed hi he said he couldn't do it. Nice guy but....no luck

My Trinity College OM is 2 3/4 " deep. Doug, nice guy however said he can only go as deep as 2 1/2.
    Any one have any other ppl? or suggestions? Thanks very much
    The problem might come from the fact that I said I didn't want a permanent arm rest. I am afraid that if I don't like it..I'm stuck with it. Or do you all like having yours permanently there?

Hi maybe this guy could help

http://www.leoswood.com/armrests.html

Regards Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    How deep is the body of your OM? Since most people make armrests using viola clamp hardware, there are some instrument bodies just too deep to clamp...
    With standard/easily available clamps. However, you can get longer than standard clamps (up to 39 mm) here in chrome or gold color. These work on my 2-1/4" deep OM. Alternately, any machine shop can drill and tap a new turnbuckle barrel for you, just about any length you want. I have an armrest on my Eastman 'cello that opens up to 3-1/2". The barrels are 2-1/2" long. I don't care for the stick-on items; I put one on my Ovation 12 string because I couldn't come up with a clamp to work on the curved side and back.
    I know, I've made my own armrests with 40mm barrel clamps for all but this latest mandola, which has a 3.5" body depth, and my Baby Taylor, which is slightly less. I just can't picture having such long and unsightly barrels on them, enough to go and look for a machinist to make them up for me. I kind of like the fact that the one I made for this mandola is so lightweight, pops on and off the tailpiece so easily, but doesn't put any stress on it while playing.

bratsche
    Last edited by bratsche; Jan-08-2015 at 4:39pm. Reason: clarification
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Blog Entries

I worked the problem from the other side. I have a terrycloth arm sweatband I wear on my right arm. Fits all mandolins, mandolas, guitars, everything.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I've seen BELL armrests on Octave Mandolins and guitars... check EBAY for them. Also John Pearse armrests...

I bought a couple of 50mm barrels from ABM parts in Germany - they're not in their current catalogue but had some old stock may still have a few if you contact them.

The barrels I bought are now with Dave White at De Faoite Instruments - he might make a rest for you but if you're not in the UK might be easier to order the barrels from Germany and get someone local to make the rest.
    Frank Sings But Walt Disney.
    My YouTube channel

Thanks everyone. I am having more luck now. Doug at HCS is going to a machine shop to see if he can get attachments for the turnbuckle - I say that like I even know what that is ? - but I can guess it's what you'd call the clamp. ) I guess the next step would be a stick-on but I'm leery of that. My mando teacher knows Lynn Dudenbostel so he might be able to help too. Also liked the post about the terry cloth sweat band. hmmm. Thanks again.

Blog Entries

Hi --I made and arm rest for my Gibson tenor guitar (4.25") depth -- I got the extended (2.5") turnbuckles and longer screw clamps from Steve Bell in Wisconsin. I think he makes his own out of hollow metal round stock. I made the rosewood rest myself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arm rest01.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	128853   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arm rest02.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	128854   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arm rest03.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	128855  

Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.