Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Andy irvine new supergroup

Default Andy irvine new supergroup

Check out Andy's website for Usher's Island. Creme de la creme of Irish music. Cant wait to see them in the new year!

2. The following members say thank you to garryireland for this post:

Default Re: Andy irvine new supergroup

Quote Originally Posted by garryireland View Post
    Check out Andy's website for Usher's Island. Creme de la creme of Irish music. Cant wait to see them in the new year!
    That's really cool, thanks Garry! Unfortunately the links at http://www.andyirvine.com/ (on the "Usher's Island" text and photo) just lead to the page for the 70th birthday DVD page for now. Hope that gets fixed and a page with more details is put up.
    "But wasn't it all stupid nonsense, rot, gibberish, and criminally fraudulent nincompoopery?"
    - Neal Stephenson, Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson View Post
    That's really cool, thanks Garry! Unfortunately the links at http://www.andyirvine.com/ (on the "Usher's Island" text and photo) just lead to the page for the 70th birthday DVD page for now. Hope that gets fixed and a page with more details is put up.
    Yeah dunno why its doing that. Should be some YouTube footage in the coming weeks I'll keep you posted!

Yeah..... like CREAM was a supergroup.
    Andy Irvine maybe not?

In the CBOM world, Andy Irvine absolutely. Remember CSN&Y - they were considered a supergroup just because they played expensive Martin D45's...

Blog Entries

You know, I've been off and on these forums for a few years now, and while I've never had to exercise the option of ignoring a contributor's posts, I've decided to do so.

Anyhow, I'll be on the lookout for the group!
    =============================
    Apollonio Acousto-electric bouzouki (in shop)
    Mixter 10 string mandola (still waiting 2+ yrs)
    Unknown brand Mandocaster (on the way!)
    "Doubt begins only at the last frontiers of what is possible." -- Ambrose Bierce

8. The following members say thank you to Rob Zamites for this post:

MikeyG 

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Zamites View Post
    You know, I've been off and on these forums for a few years now, and while I've never had to exercise the option of ignoring a contributor's posts, I've decided to do so.

Wow, you can do that? How?

Never mind, I figured it out
    Last edited by rubydubyr; Dec-31-2014 at 11:56am. Reason: add additional comment
    If I miss one day’s practice, I notice it. If I miss two days’ practice, the critics notice it. If I miss three days’ practice, the public notices it.
    Franz Liszt, 1894

I think I know who you mean Rob, and we're on the same page. Will implement ignore too. There we go...done.

P.S. Andy Irvine rules!

P.P.S. worth mentioning that I got "Aiming For the Heart" and "The Humours of Planxty" for Christmas, and the 70th birthday DVD is on its way. Haven't listened to Cream since...well, come to think of it, I've never made any effort at all to hear Cream in my entire life. Not germane to the topic anyway IMO. Really offensive when someone chimes in on a thread just to try to shoot it down.
    Last edited by Mike Anderson; Dec-31-2014 at 1:09pm.
    "But wasn't it all stupid nonsense, rot, gibberish, and criminally fraudulent nincompoopery?"

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    In the CBOM world, Andy Irvine absolutely. Remember CSN&Y - they were considered a supergroup just because they played expensive Martin D45's...
    and they all had been in bands that eventually made it to the Rock-&-Roll Hall of Fame, and they all were great songwriters, and three of them were great singers, and two of them were great guitarists, and Joni Mitchell thought they were a super group, and …
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Quote Originally Posted by NotMelloCello View Post
    Yeah..... like CREAM was a supergroup.
    Andy Irvine maybe not?
    I wonder who the admin is on this forum?

In the meantime maybe Mr. "NotMelloCello" will give us his reasons for saying "Yeah.... like CREAM was a supergroup. Andy Irvine maybe not?" ;-)

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_0519-1.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	128270

Usher’s Island

Named after one of the medieval quays along the River Liffey in Dublin, Usher’s Island is a brand-new supergroup uniting two generations of trailblazing Irish musicians, performing here together for the very first time.

The revered figures of Donal Lunny, Andy Irvine and Paddy Glackin link the band’s heritage right back to the glory days of Planxty, the Bothy Band, Moving Hearts, Mozaik and other seminal boundary-crossers, while two of today’s leading heirs to these pioneering artists, Mike McGoldrick and John Doyle, contribute their vast experience of contemporary Celtic and other international roots styles.

14. The following members say thank you to Larry S Sherman for this post:

bass player gone mando

Quote Originally Posted by Larry S Sherman View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_0519-1.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	128270

Usher’s Island

Named after one of the medieval quays along the River Liffey in Dublin, Usher’s Island is a brand-new supergroup uniting two generations of trailblazing Irish musicians, performing here together for the very first time.

The revered figures of Donal Lunny, Andy Irvine and Paddy Glackin link the band’s heritage right back to the glory days of Planxty, the Bothy Band, Moving Hearts, Mozaik and other seminal boundary-crossers, while two of today’s leading heirs to these pioneering artists, Mike McGoldrick and John Doyle, contribute their vast experience of contemporary Celtic and other international roots styles.
    Looks great on paper. Love me some Planxty. Can't wait to hear the music.
    Collings MT O
    Collings MF5 0
    Weber Gallatin Mandola
    Weber Bitterroot Mandola
    Weber Sage Octave

If we're picking nits over the "Supergroup" name, then I think the addition of Mike McGoldrick and John Doyle certainly qualifies as that, within the Irish trad context anyway.

They're like the Irish trad equivalent of the Nashville A-list session players that show up for this kind of project, plus the Old Guard here, and I'm interested to hear how this turns out.

17. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

That's a lot of talent there...

Paul

I wonder who the admin is on this forum?
    Why? You want me banned because my thoughts disagree with yours?
    I thought this place was for sharing of opinions - whether you like them or not?
    You sound like a Democrat... or maybe worse.
    Lighten up, Francis. There is room for all of us here, believe it or not.

Oh, yeah - HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL CBOMS.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I have often been tempted to use the technical "ignore" option but have never done so. It would have prevented me from developing my own mental ignore option which is useful outside the Cafe as well where you don't get a button for that (on second thoughts, you do: cover your ears and start singing loudly, but that has its own disadvantages).

Back to Andy Irvine: he was the role model who brought me to OM playing, though I never developed his ability to play complicated melodies and sing over them. This is not the first group of excellent musicians he gathers round him (remember Patrick Street?), and the music scene is small enough to find the same musicians in many groups (you got 2 seconds to name a group Donal Lunny has not played in, excluding the Dubliners). These groups form, dissolve and re-form like clouds do, and it is all a part of the tradition; whatever happens, the results are pleasant to listen to.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

I thought this place was for sharing of opinions - whether you like them or not?

Oh, yeah - HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL CBOMS.
    It was actually Roger who posed the question. I read his post as meaning: could you justify what you said in your previous post? I am sure he did not mean for you to react intensely to his question.

In the Irish celtic world Planxty could easily be regarded as a supergroup given their influence over the last 30 years in Ireland and abroad. Since then, Andy Irvine has been behind Patrick Street and Mosaic, both with a pretty fine lineup of musicians. Their music has spawned a huge number of young musicians and followers who have helped to reinvigorate and inspire Irish and other forms of Celtic music. While Cream may have been popular at the time in terms of fans, concerts, and great albums, I would pose the question have they had a long-lasting effect on rock music, similar to what Planxty has done for irish music?
    Nic Gellie

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gellie View Post
    It was actually Roger who posed the question. I read his post as meaning: could you justify what you said in your previous post? I am sure he did not mean for you to react intensely to his question.
    That is exactly what I meant. :-)

Great to see John Doyle in there, looking forward to great things. His last CD with ‘The Alt’ is amazing.
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

24. The following members say thank you to Colin Lindsay for this post:

Francis?

NotMelloCello:

Based on your conduct on this forum on the few threads I have seen you post on, I was providing you with an opportunity to either back up your provocative post and give your reasons for questioning the OP's use of the term "supergroup" or expose yourself as a bomb-lobbing troll. You clearly chose option #2.

Blog Entries

Damn,

I'd give up darned near anything to be here for this:

Debut of Usher's Island

You lucky UK dwellers at least have a chance!
    Apollonio Acousto-electric bouzouki (in shop)
    Mixter 10 string mandola (still waiting 2+ yrs)
    Unknown brand Mandocaster (on the way!)
    "Doubt begins only at the last frontiers of what is possible." -- Ambrose Bierce

Damn,

I'd give up darned near anything to be here for this:

Debut of Usher's Island
    Ditto.

MikeyG

Unfortunately I saw NotMelloCello's comment quoted so I'll respond: NO idea what you mean by "sounding like a Democrat" - I'm pretty conservative myself. Don't think that was the point, The point was:

- you only chimed in so you could be heard. You do that a LOT, even to the point of starting completely content-free threads just so there's a mandocello thread at the top of the CBOM forum. Consider this: you could be playing your mandocello instead of wasting time doing that. If you have something substantive to say about the mandocello, go ahead, but that's just annoying.

- if it wasn't just because you're attention-hungry, it was to shoot down the idea that anyone not in the pop-rock world could form a "supergroup." Planxty was a supergroup. Patrick Street was a supergroup. Usher's Island sure looks like a supergroup from where I stand. If you don't like Irish music then you should have the good grace to stay out of threads that discuss it. I don't jump in on threads discussing rock music to tell people I loathe it.

Nuff said.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike Anderson For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

The term 'super group' was from the Celtic Connections.com article. Sadly it is often used in writing about Irish musical groups and it always has a sort of rock & roll connotation. I'd prefer some other term because I want to think of Irish music and not R&R.

One can use a context of R&R but that is making an assumption that everyone has that background. I see a similar bluegrass assumption and names tossed around for comparison. Same in the Jazz music circles. So it is out there but I'd suggest comparing 'apples to apples'.

Usher's Island - very cool. I will check it out, thanks for the tip.

Maybe there is just some confusion on NotMelloCello's part.

The OP GaryIreland said "Creme" not "Cream".

32. The following members say thank you to Ky Slim for this post: