Thread: Fret & fretboard help suggest a luthier

Default Fret & fretboard help suggest a luthier

I live in Northwest Houston, TX. I have a Roy Marsh two point mandolin it has a very strong E and A string and is a very unusual build. The issue is there is a rise on the fingerboard about the 14th fret. In order to eliminate buzzing up the neck I need to raise the bridge and the action is a little high.but does niot totally solve the issues. I compromise between buzzing and playability.
    Any suggestion for a repairman or luthier who could plane the neck, level the frets or bith to correct the problem?
    The Mandolin has stainless steel large Frets, a narrow round profile neck, 1 piece rib and block milled from a solid piece of wood, a Maple neck and back with a Adirondack spruce top. The ribs were milled not bent.

Default Re: Fret & fretboard help suggest a luthier

There are pictures on my orofile page but I coukd not post them as attachments from my Iphone no drag and drop feature

I live in Conroe and can very highly recommend Neil Sargent Guitar Repair. Neil is a one man shop in the Houston Heights area and does excellent work for not enough money. Everybody I know in Houston uses him. You can find his address and phone number by googling.
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!

Thanks John

I had Neil work on my 12 string Guild in the late 80's early 99's when his shop was next to The Violin Gallery & The Guitar Gallery. Last I heard he was doing some work for Mike Fuller and Fulker's Vintage Guitars on a Referal basis.

If you are willing to drive a couple hours, Steve Hartz of the Old Time String Shop in Nacogdoches does excellent mandolin repair work. I believe he is a Cafe member, but I do not know his username.

I did not realize Steve did reoair work. I played a little at his General Store on the square. Great player good guy.

Yes, he closed the shop for a few years and remodled, but hes back to repairing. Hes also building these incredible old timey banjos. He can set anything up to practically play itself, and his prices are very reasonable...