Thread: Eastman MD315 Repair Question

Default Eastman MD315 Repair Question

Hello fellow luthiers,

I am awaiting shipment of this mandolin and I am wondering how you would suggest fixing the damage on the side of the mandolin. I was going to use matching stain to cover the bare wood and then superglue to fill in the gaps.

How would you guys fix this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331349083266...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Default Re: Eastman MD315 Repair Question

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57.JPG 
Views:	201 
Size:	191.9 KB 
ID:	128310

Personally, unless the binding is separating I would leave it, I have a lot worse on my guitar it adds character and lets people know that it isn't for show 8-), if you really want to fix it though stewmac has a couple of vids, I dunno what your skill level is so if this is old news please ignore em

If you want something that "barks" get a damn dog

4. The following members say thank you to Pribar for this post:

You said "fellow luthiers", are you a luthier? Make some white-glue/filler mix with some matching wood dust and rub it into the binding gap. That is all.

6. The following members say thank you to David Newton for this post:

I wouldn't be too worried about it, as it's quite common on the 300 and 500 series (no back binding). The Eastmans touchy with humdity and heat, chances are over time it will happen in other spots. My 2007 Eastman had it about 1/3 of the back when I got it, but it's never bothered me.

8. The following members say thank you to RayMan7 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by David Newton View Post
    You said "fellow luthiers", are you a luthier? Make some white-glue/filler mix with some matching wood dust and rub it into the binding gap. That is all.
    I am a hobbyist luthier, I will give that a shot. Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by RayMan7 View Post
    I wouldn't be too worried about it, as it's quite common on the 300 and 500 series (no back binding). The Eastmans touchy with humdity and heat, chances are over time it will happen in other spots. My 2007 Eastman had it about 1/3 of the back when I got it, but it's never bothered me.
    It is hard to tell exactly what is happening. Is it a surface scratch or is the back of the mandolin separating from the sides? Do you think this affects the playability or is just cosmetic?

That's near the tail block and could be a structural issue. If the back is separating it may be a problem because if it has been "fixed" by pushing glue into the void without cleaning or clamping it will be a weak area. Maybe you can look inside when you get it, and look for signs of any attempts to affect a repair. That may give you a better idea of what has been done and what to do. If it looks good inside it may just be a cosmetic thing and there is nothing to do.

Glue and 'matching' wood dust is not a repair, it is only a poor filler and it doesn't match. First determine what the issue is, then move ahead with whatever is called for.

Michael's point is spot-on. If it is only cosmetic, there's no point in making a repair that's more obvious than the defect (and believe me, on a satin finish it's darn near impossible to make a touch-up go away). If the back is loose, it needs to be properly glued and clamped or the side will eventually splay out from the back.
    Shade Tree Fretted Instrument Repair, retired
    Nevada City, California