Thread: Stuff like this only happens to me

Default Stuff like this only happens to me

I bought a really beaten up 1921 A2 project a couple months ago. I have wanted one of these for a long time to play old time and Irish tunes etc on. I must admit that I now wish that I had just bought one that was in playing condition. With my work schedule and the holidays and everything else it has been a really slow going task to get it playing. Not to mention my limited experience with repairs. But there is an old time jam this Saturday that I would really like to play this thing at.

After some work on the back and the tailpiece I'm finally installing the vintage replacement tuners. They didn't just go on btw. The bushings didn't fit in the original holes so I had to ream the holes out a little. Now they finally went in the holes but the screw holes didn't really line up. Anyway, I got them on there and I finally started to string this thing up looking forward to getting some tunes out of it but.....

One of the A string posts doesn't have a hole in it. .. ...

You can see how far along I was stringing it before I even noticed. Please feel free to make fun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Post with no hole 3.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	128296Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Post with no hole 2.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	128297Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Post with no hole 1.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	128298
    Last edited by Ky Slim; Jan-01-2015 at 1:18pm.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Stuff like this only happens to me

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	homer_doh.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	128300
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Slim View Post
    You can see how far along I was stringing it before I even noticed. Please feel free to make fun.
    Awwww, no, can't do that, I am too busy just feeling your pain Sounds like something that would happen to me. Best of luck in getting it in shape by Saturday!
    If I miss one day’s practice, I notice it. If I miss two days’ practice, the critics notice it. If I miss three days’ practice, the public notices it.
    Franz Liszt, 1894

4. The following members say thank you to rubydubyr for this post:

You can drill your own hole with a 1/16 drill, no problem. You will want to center with a center punch or something to keep the drill bit centered. No big deal. Be sure to debur the hole with a rat tail file or sandpaper or you will break strings with the sharp new edge of the hole. I would let the supplier know and see if they will send you a correct set for you to switch out at your convenience.

Another satisfied customer who wasted good money and still had to modify an almost 100 year old instrument for a cheap set of tuning machines made by 11 year old Chinese kids who play 7 string mandolinzzzz......way to go Stew Mac.

I got a replacement set from a local shop once, he dug them out of a box of parts and they fit the old Gibson nicely. The only problem was that the string holes were just below the surface of the peghead. I had to drill all 8 posts to make it usable. I kept the old gears and made them both available when I sold it. The buyer wanted the newer gears left on it. Good luck!
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Wow that's excellent quality control!
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

At least they got it 87.5% right... your cup is way more than half full!

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

10. The following members say thank you to bratsche for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by rubydubyr View Post
    Awwww, no, can't do that, I am too busy just feeling your pain Sounds like something that would happen to me. Best of luck in getting it in shape by Saturday!
    Thanks! All four keys of the bass side (G + D) on the original set were still working so I'll just put them on until stew mac can get a replacement (for the replacement) out to me. This should be fine for playing this Saturday. I will just have to do righty tighty for those 4 strings.
    Last edited by Ky Slim; Jan-01-2015 at 2:51pm.

If I miss one day’s practice, I notice it. If I miss two days’ practice, the critics notice it. If I miss three days’ practice, the public notices it.
    Franz Liszt, 1894

Quote Originally Posted by rubydubyr View Post
    I'm wondering if the Frank Ford method of stringing (www.frets.com) would hold the string on the post without a hole? He wraps the string over itself and when tightened to pitch, it looks to me like it might be tight enough not to slip. Worth trying, anyway. As a matter of fact, his method of stringing is time saving and worth knowing in any case.

If your post was intended for me Pete, I am the wrong person to address it to. At this point, if a string were to break, I'd need to take it to the store to have it replaced. I know the "theory" of replacing it, but don't quite trust myself to do so. And am in absolute AWE of people who take an old and valued instrument and actually rework it themselves! Don't even get me STARTED on my drool (and I have to be careful of that around the mandolin....) over folks who can actually BUILD one for themselves either from a kit or from scratch, and finish it, and adjust it, and...... <gasp>
    Franz Liszt, 1894

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Summers View Post
    I'm wondering if the Frank Ford method of stringing (www.frets.com) would hold the string on the post without a hole?
    I'm interested but maybe I'm missing something. I just looked at the "restringing clinic" sections for all instruments and it looks as if he goes thru the hole in each demo.

Of course the string has to go thru a hole. Make a hole.

I bet if I was making 10 gazillion string posts I would miss a few holes.

Are these StewMac Golden Age replacement tuners? If so, you should send them back and get new ones. That's obviously a huge QC error and you shouldn't have to deal with trying to drill the hole yourself.
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

18. The following members say thank you to pfox14 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pfox14 View Post
    Are these StewMac Golden Age replacement tuners? If so, you should send them back and get new ones. That's obviously a huge QC error and you shouldn't have to deal with trying to drill the hole yourself.
    Yes they are the golden age replacements. I think they will take care of it and I wouldn't try to drill a hole. I have put the original from the bass side back on there for now. The keys are really tight and I had to make 3 more screw holes but it is (or was) in tune.

I bet if I was making 10 gazillion string posts I would miss a few holes.
    I agree with this and I will be waiting to hear back from stewmac on the issue. I used to play some music with an older fellow that would have said "I guess they made those on a Friday."