Thread: 1953 Mandolin made in Paris by Deslaurier

Default 1953 Mandolin made in Paris by Deslaurier

Over the weekend I bought a 1953 flat back mandolin, made by P. Deslaurier in Paris. Model is "Renato." Serial number 111. Back and sides are birds-eye maple and top is spruce. Fingerboard rosewood. Came with a nice wood case as well. A great flea market find in Antibes France. Anyone heard of these? Not finding much online.

Default Re: 1953 Mandolin made in Paris by Deslaurier

And a few photos of the Deslaurier "Renato" mandolin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	with case.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	154372   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Renato.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	154374   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Birdseye Maple Back.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	154373  

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Nice find! Is that Birds Eye maple on the back? Please let us know how it sounds and plays, particularly with that neck profile.

A general web search turns up some references to P Deslaurier in relation to other instruments as well: snare drums and horns, for instance.

Might he have been a Parisian instrument dealer? This one has the look of some of the mandolins we have seen from the various Mirecourt builders. I have a catalog or two from there in my files and can check when I get home.

Jim or somebody might have quicker access and an opinion or two.

Nice case, too. And I enjoy that '50s era typeface used on the label. Reminiscent of "Futura" one of my favorites.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

4. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

I have a feeling that he was a dealer as well. There are also references to horns and other band instruments. Note the labels inside and outside the instrument. Many of the wooden stringed instruments sold in this era in France were actually built in the French colonies such as Vietnam.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Likely to be Mirecourt built rather than Vietnam. Vietnam instrumnets nearly always had some unusual fancy features, like carved headstocks and the like.

I agree with my esteemed colleagues that this is probably a dealer with a store brand added. The headstock looks identical to those from the Jérôme Thibouville-Lamy (JTL) shop. How do you know it is 1953, BTW? The jpegs I have are from earlier samples and the catalogs are from the beginning of the last century.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I am not knowledgable about French mandolins at all.
    Here's a similar bowl back one though:
    https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/44968155
    and here's some general info on French makers:
    http://www.mandolinluthier.com/frenc...lin_makers.htm

very interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I agree with my esteemed colleagues that this is probably a dealer with a store brand added. The headstock looks identical to those from the Jérôme Thibouville-Lamy (JTL) shop. How do you know it is 1953, BTW? The jpegs I have are from earlier samples and the catalogs are from the beginning of the last century.
    Thanks for the feedback. And yes, probably a distributor of instruments, not the maker. The paper label inside the mandolin has the date stamped as 1953.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Thanks for the JTL information. I have sent them photos to see if they can identify my mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    Nice find! Is that Birds Eye maple on the back? Please let us know how it sounds and plays, particularly with that neck profile.

A general web search turns up some references to P Deslaurier in relation to other instruments as well: snare drums and horns, for instance.

Might he have been a Parisian instrument dealer? This one has the look of some of the mandolins we have seen from the various Mirecourt builders. I have a catalog or two from there in my files and can check when I get home.

Jim or somebody might have quicker access and an opinion or two.

Nice case, too. And I enjoy that '50s era typeface used on the label. Reminiscent of "Futura" one of my favorites.

Mick
    Mick - Thanks so much for the quick reply. It is birds eye maple on the sides and the back. Rosewood fingerboard and what looks like a spruce top. I have ordered a new set of strings but even the old ones that were on it sound pretty good. Plenty of volume if a little bright sounding (compared to the F4 Gibson I have at home in Maine). And yes, let me know if you turn up something similar to mine in your files! Mark