Thread: New issue

Default New issue

Anyone have an issue with their callouses where after you play a bit you have string indentations imprinted in the callous and the string (especially the a and e strings) kinda slips into that indentation so that when you play notes on that string you aren't really pushing the string down onto the fret board?

(and yes, I know this is a really long run on sentence..... )
    If I miss one day’s practice, I notice it. If I miss two days’ practice, the critics notice it. If I miss three days’ practice, the public notices it.
    Franz Liszt, 1894

Default Re: New issue

Not a new issue here on the cafe. Use the search function to find other thread discussions about callouses. Lot of talk before to use super glue if you tear one off.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Riley View Post
    Not a new issue here on the cafe. Use the search function to find other thread discussions about callouses. Lot of talk before to use super glue if you tear one off.
    I searched, there's a lot..... no clue what thread to look in or what post to search for, but thanks
    If I miss one day’s practice, I notice it. If I miss two days’ practice, the critics notice it. If I miss three days’ practice, the public notices it.
    Franz Liszt, 1894

I definitely have callouses with double string indentations, but it doesn't cause me any problem with making a clear note. Remember that you do not need to push the string down to the fingerboard, you only need to apply enough pressure with string to fret to make a clear sounding note.

If you are having trouble making a clear note, then you might need to lighten up your touch so your callouses are not so deep.

5. The following members say thank you to Nashville for this post:

I get indentations in my calluses, but they don't last that long, just a few minutes after I stop playing. My fingertips are sort of like memory foam.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by rubydubyr View Post
    I searched, there's a lot..... no clue what thread to look in or what post to search for, but thanks
    LOL. One time I thought I would look thru all forum posts to see if anything had alredi been said or asked that I might be interested in. Didn't take very long at all. Gave up 5 minutes later. Those indentations should make pull-offs real easy.
    Last edited by Rodney Riley; Dec-31-2014 at 3:40pm.

I think the calluses problem is mostly a beginners' issue. When I started, they were growing to an alarming level in the first few months, but now my fingertips are permanently sort-of-leathery but supple with no build-up of hard skin tissue.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Jonas View Post
    I think the calluses problem is mostly a beginners' issue. When I started, they were growing to an alarming level in the first few months, but now my fingertips are permanently sort-of-leathery but supple with no build-up of hard skin tissue.

Martin
    That gives me hope, thanks Martin
    Franz Liszt, 1894

Quote Originally Posted by Nashville View Post
    I definitely have callouses with double string indentations, but it doesn't cause me any problem with making a clear note. Remember that you do not need to push the string down to the fingerboard, you only need to apply enough pressure with string to fret to make a clear sounding note.

If you are having trouble making a clear note, then you might need to lighten up your touch so your callouses are not so deep.
    ummm, I am supposed to be ON the fret, and push the sting down ON the fret, as in the little ridge that sticks up?????
    Franz Liszt, 1894

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Riley View Post
    LOL. One time I thought I would look thru all forum posts to see if anything had alredi been said or asked that I might be interested in. Didn't take very long at all. Gave up 5 minutes later. Those indentations should make pull-offs real easy.
    I can't, and don't even try to keep up with all the daily posts..... I just look at the title and see if its something I might want to read or scan. Anyone who can keep up with it all seriously has too much time on their hands.
    Franz Liszt, 1894

ummm, I am supposed to be ON the fret, and push the sting down ON the fret, as in the little ridge that sticks up?????
    Never mind Nash, I just found this on mandolin mania:
    "The fingerboard is bisected over its entire length, by wires that are embedded in it. These wires are called frets. When you play the mandolin, your fingers should go BEHIND the frets, not ON the frets. When you press your finger behind a fret, you push the string tight against the fret. That action changes the sound that the string makes, and so produces the note you're playing."
    Franz Liszt, 1894

A bar table candle held under the calluses for a few seconds will get you through the night and toughen them in no time. That is, if you are in bars a fair amount of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ddminpgfl View Post
    A bar table candle held under the calluses for a few seconds will get you through the night and toughen them in no time. That is, if you are in bars a fair amount of the time.
    And if you drink enough, you won't care whether you have callouses or not.......
    Franz Liszt, 1894

It may be a combination of two things -- what Nashville said about not pressing harder than you have to, for a clear note on the fret, and also just not playing long enough or frequently enough to have tougher calluses.

I get double string indents in my calluses every time I play, and they go away in a short time after playing. They're not exactly rock-hard, but I do play almost every day. I've been playing fretted instruments for a very long time too, which may have something to do with a finger's "readiness" to build up extra layers when required (not sure about that, but it sounds good as a theory).

Also, one of the few advantages of getting older, is that your skin dries out and toughens up a bit. That may be a factor. I'm in my early 60's, and I'm noticing that the main problem with calluses these days (and fingernails too, for fingerpicking guitar) is that I'm having to file down the rough edges, instead of worrying if I have enough callus or fingernails at all. By the time I'm too old to play, I'll have great fingernails and fingertips! Doesn't seem quite fair...

And if you drink enough, you won't care whether you have callouses or not.......
    That too, but you'll feel it on your fingers in the morning.