Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plate carving

Default Re: Plate carving

Very nice bryce. The one I made was wood (oak) and inspired by this video. Fun stuff!

Blog Entries

Hats off! Looks impressive. Where did those wheels with the "hollow ground" centers for riding the track come from? Probably hard to do but this machine looks like it is crying for a YouTube video of it in action?

Like this.

Last edited by Bernie Daniel; Jan-04-2015 at 9:55am.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bernie Daniel For This Useful Post:

I'm reviving an older thread to see if I can get help with laying out contours on top or bottom plates.

I'm using Andrew Mowry's contour maps with two piece plates. The glued, rough plate is tapered from center/midline (about 25 mm thick) to edge (about 10 mm thick). If the plate were flat--if it were a consistent thickness from middle to edge--I'd have no problem tacking the (flat) contour map to the (also flat) piece of wood and drilling away. Since it's tapered from center to edge, it seems to me that if I tacked the paper to the wedge-shaped plate I'd be distorting the contours.

Any thoughts for how to lay out these contours accurately with my flat template over an uneven surface?

Thanks for your help. Thanks in particular to Andrew Mowry.

Quote Originally Posted by HoGo View Post
    I just took large piece of thin clear plastic (I believe I just torn one of the clear plastic holders of office paper sheets- no idea how it is called in the US) and drew centerline with black permanent marker. Placed it over the drawings and transferred the lines to the plastic. Then I just pin this sheet on the centerline of the wood and draw a points 1/2" apart on the wood with very sharp very hard pencil (mason pencil) that stabs easily right through the plastic. I do one half, flip over and then other half. When all pointsare transferred I just draw over them with pencil to make them more visible. Then do the drilling.

I make the center thickness just about where it needs to be - 18mm. So sand it down in the middle some more and the contours won't be so distorted.

6. The following members say thank you to fscotte for this post:

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by MinkBrookRambler View Post
    I'm reviving an older thread to see if I can get help with laying out contours on top or bottom plates.

I'm using Andrew Mowry's contour maps with two piece plates. The glued, rough plate is tapered from center/midline (about 25 mm thick) to edge (about 10 mm thick). If the plate were flat--if it were a consistent thickness from middle to edge--I'd have no problem tacking the (flat) contour map to the (also flat) piece of wood and drilling away. Since it's tapered from center to edge, it seems to me that if I tacked the paper to the wedge-shaped plate I'd be distorting the contours.

Any thoughts for how to lay out these contours accurately with my flat template over an uneven surface?

Thanks for your help. Thanks in particular to Andrew Mowry.
    There's no problem with using wedge shaped wood. The distortion is actually smaller than you think. You won't be able to drill the holes or route the steps as precisely as you mark them over the wedge from templates. The diference due to the slope would be less than thickness of a line made by blunt pencil , nothing to worry about. Also you can plane down the thickness to your maximum arch height before you start with arch (on planer or similar machine). It will save you a lot of handwork.
    Adrian

8. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

Id also bring the center to 18mm to start but would try to plan on finishing things out closer to the 15-16mm mark depending on stiffness. Just don't start the inside until all is final on the outside so you can monitor that center thickness easier [arch height].

10. The following members say thank you to bernabe for this post:

I'd agree with Adrian that the distortion resulting from bending the templates down over arch is probably pretty minimal. I always treated the contours as approximate guidelines anyway. I'm glad the templates have been useful!

'Gotta admit that I secretly lust after that Clone 4D carver more than a LLoar signed F5!!!!!!

13. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post:

Bernie, Sorry I never answered your question. The wheels are just V-belt pulleys.

15. The following members say thank you to David Houchens for this post:

i used to do exactly what michael lewis said in his reply..the thing i found was important was the leveling of the top or back. if you try to do it on a sanding board it will take forever..to avert that problem i carved out the inside up to almost the recurve area, then leveled it..gavin