Thread: Kerr's Collection of Merry Melodies

Default Kerr's Collection of Merry Melodies

Hi,

As a fan of fiddle tunes volumes (Ryan's Mammoth and Phillips Collections), I would like to see if anyone has worked with Kerr's Collection of Merry Melodies?

I have just learned a tune from one of the volumes (#4) and I am considering trying to track down the books. But before I do, if anybody could offer any experience, insight, feedback on these, I would really appreciate it.

Also, any tips on tracking down copies would be welcomed as well.

Cheers!

Default Re: Kerr's Collection of Merry Melodies

I have all 4 books, I bought them in1971 just before the UK changed over to decimal currency, they were priced at 6 shillings or 30 new pence each.

I believe they are still available, they had them at The Music Room in Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire the last time I was there, they have a good mail order service too. Mind they are considerably more expensive now.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Thanks for the tip Dave! The Music Room had 3 of the 4... I have bookmarked their site and will be sure to keep up with their stock. Now my hunt for volume 2 begins!

Do you have a link for the book?

They are a great source of trad music from Scotland and beyond, highly recommended by me anyway.

J S Kerr was a Glasgow publisher. The Kerr's Collection was the "bible" of Scottish tunes for dancing for many years and is a prized possession of those of us lucky enough to have a copy of any of the volumes. I have a copy of "Kerr's Collection of Reels & Strathspeys, Highland Schottisches, Country Dances, Jigs, Hornpipes, Flirtations Etc - Arranged for the Violin"! Ever heard of a flirtation before?
    Book 1 of "Kerr's Collection of Merry Melodies for the Violin" contains 447 tunes, Book 2 has 445, Book 3 has 446 and Book 4 has 444, so plenty to be getting on with! They were published, probably in the 1870s/1880s; no dates on the books as far as I know. The company published loads of books and tunes and arrangements.
    There's information about them on the net if you search for JS Kerr, music publisher.
    I have noted a possible address for you to check out for copies:
    http://www.sheetmusicwarehouse.co.uk...rr%2C+Glasgow.
    Thought I had already posted this reply earlier, but it seems not to have come up, so here it is again!
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

7. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

Kerr's Vol 1 has lots and lots of core repertoire Scottish tunes, as well as sections on Irish jigs, reels etc.

The other three are less essential. Volume 1 is the one to get. Strongly recommended.
    David A. Gordon

John, thanks for the link, but it isn't working... could you check it again?? Thanks

Blog Entries

I have them and I love them. I even found a hard cover of one of the volumes.

They are a great source of tunes to resurrect. It is also fun to see how a particular tune I have played for years in jams and sessions and dances, has changed from how it was published in Kerr's.

When it is snow, sleet, and freezing rain outside, there is not much better than putting up a pot of coffee or tea, and putting a tune book out on the music stand and going after it. I have gone through many long stretches where Kerr's was most often been what I put out.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

BTW cmateer: a friendly suggestion -- there is truly no reason to post the same new thread in three different places. We can find you in any of them. It makes it easier for you, too, to find answers to your questions in one place.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I just bought a pair of 1885 edition hardcover books, Vol. 1 and 2 on ebay that I look forward to receiving.

So happy to see everyone commenting on this thread. I thought I purchased #1, #3, and #4 yesterday online but I just received an email notifying me that they no longer had them in stock. Ugh! After some savvy web-searching, I managed to track down #1, #2, and #4. Still looking for #3....

Oh, and if anybody reading is interested: In my web travels, I discovered that onlinesheetmusic.com is offering a 397-song collection for $14.99. This looks like a mixed-bag rather than a specific volume, but 397 tunes is nothing to sneeze at, right?! Check it out here.

When I inherited a mandolin from my late Uncle Donald Jackson I also got a book with it, Kerr's Violin Instructor and Irish Folksong Album, the book I regret to say disappeared years ago and I've never come across one since.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    Ibanez Artist 5 string

Quote Originally Posted by golfunit View Post
    John, thanks for the link, but it isn't working... could you check it again?? Thanks
    Here it is again, so hope this one works. It is a UK-based company.
    http://www.sheetmusicwarehouse.co.uk
    i have amanded it to the home page and you can then search for the Kerr's books on this page. Hope this helps.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

Done a search John, no results.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    Ibanez Artist 5 string

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hanson View Post
    Done a search John, no results.

Dave H
    They had one when I first visited the site the other day, Dave, but it seems to be gone now - maybe as a resut of this thread?
    Or am I suffering from New-Year-induced delusions? Happy New Year anyway!

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

Found it here at the Boosey and Hawkes website, UK.
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas