Thread: Kerr's Collection of Merry Melodies

Default Kerr's Collection of Merry Melodies

Hi,

As a fan of fiddle tunes volumes (Ryan's Mammoth and Phillips Collections), I would like to see if anyone has worked with Kerr's Collection of Merry Melodies?

I have just learned a tune from one of the volumes (#4) and I am considering trying to track down the books. But before I do, if anybody could offer any experience, insight, feedback on these, I would really appreciate it.

Also, any tips on tracking down copies would be welcomed as well.

Cheers!

Default Re: Kerr's Collection of Merry Melodies

J S Kerr was a Glasgow publisher. The Kerr's Collection was the "bible" of Scottish tunes for dancing for many years and is a prized possession of those of us lucky enough to have a copy of any of the volumes. I have a copy of "Kerr's Collection of Reels & Strathspeys, Highland Schottisches, Country Dances, Jigs, Hornpipes, Flirtations Etc - Arranged for the Violin"! Ever heard of a flirtation before?
    Book 1 of "Kerr's Collection of Merry Melodies for the Violin" contains 447 tunes, Book 2 has 445, Book 3 has 446 and Book 4 has 444, so plenty to be getting on with! They were published, probably in the 1870s/1880s; no dates on the books as far as I know. The company published loads of books and tunes and arrangements.
    There's information about them on the net if you search for JS Kerr, music publisher.
    I have noted a possible address for you to check out for copies:
    http://www.sheetmusicwarehouse.co.uk...rr%2C+Glasgow.
    Last edited by John Kelly; Dec-28-2014 at 6:58am. Reason: typos
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores