Thread: Eastman MDC805 mandocello, and what I did about it

Default Eastman MDC805 mandocello, and what I did about it

A friend of mine recently got an Eastman mandocello. As the well-known story goes, they are nicely made, look great, and sound quite nice as well. But they are usually not very playable out of the box.

I have to say, once it was set up well, which took a fair amount of experimentation to get the spacing dialed in, this is the first Eastman I've played which I think is really a good instrument. Not "a good instrument for the price", it's a good mandocello, period. I'm comparing it to several other good mandocellos I've played, mostly old Gibsons, as well as the guitar-to-mandocello conversions I've made myself.

The nut spacing I used, which is a kludge since the strings do not sit centered on the neck, does not feel like kludge in practice. You forget all about it. There's nothing wrong with the neck shape. I wouldn't feel the need to reshape or narrow the neck if this were mine.
    After playing all evening on this thing, my hands felt no more fatigued than if I'd been playing jazz on my Strat.

So anyway.. yeah. More mandocellos in the world. It's a good thing.

Nut pic and specs:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_2074.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	128122

Name:	Mandocello Nut CNC.PDF 
Views:	241 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	128121

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Eastman MDC805 mandocello, and what I did about it

Marty - I've wondered (and its been suggested on this forum) that the Eastman could be modified to be a 10-stringer. There's certainly enough room; I have 2 10 stringers with narrower fingerboards. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

4. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

Blog Entries

The more I hear these instruments, the more I think I'd like to build one. Thanks for the wonderful playing, Marty - it was beautiful!
    =============================
    Apollonio Acousto-electric bouzouki (in shop)
    Mixter 10 string mandola (still waiting 2+ yrs)
    Unknown brand Mandocaster (on the way!)
    =============================
    "Doubt begins only at the last frontiers of what is possible." -- Ambrose Bierce

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    A friend of mine recently got an Eastman mandocello. As the well-known story goes, they are nicely made, look great, and sound quite nice as well. But they are usually not very playable out of the box.

I have to say, once it was set up well, which took a fair amount of experimentation to get the spacing dialed in, this is the first Eastman I've played which I think is really a good instrument. Not "a good instrument for the price", it's a good mandocello, period. I'm comparing it to several other good mandocellos I've played, mostly old Gibsons, as well as the guitar-to-mandocello conversions I've made myself.

The nut spacing I used, which is a kludge since the strings do not sit centered on the neck, does not feel like kludge in practice. You forget all about it. There's nothing wrong with the neck shape. I wouldn't feel the need to reshape or narrow the neck if this were mine.
    After playing all evening on this thing, my hands felt no more fatigued than if I'd been playing jazz on my Strat.

Outstanding post - -Thanks!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    Marty - I've wondered (and its been suggested on this forum) that the Eastman could be modified to be a 10-stringer. There's certainly enough room; I have 2 10 stringers with narrower fingerboards. What are your thoughts? Thanks.
    Hi Bart, it would make a good sounding cittern, I'm sure. Whether it makes sense to citternify a decent $2000 instrument is another question. Once you get that much into it, plus the cost of worthwhile ten-string tuning machines and the hassle of fitting them, you might as well add in another thousand or two and get a nice purpose built instrument with the scale length designed to work for the tuning you have in mind.
    This instrument also has other ergonomics problems... It's big and it is awkward to hold it when seated. Using a strap and standing up is probably the solution to that.
    Life is full of compromises... Designing one of these which is ergonomically superior is no weekend project.

8. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

Blog Entries

Hi Bart, it would make a good sounding cittern, I'm sure. Whether it makes sense to citternify a decent $2000 instrument is another question. Once you get that much into it, plus the cost of worthwhile ten-string tuning machines and the hassle of fitting them, you might as well add in another thousand or two and get a nice purpose built instrument with the scale length designed to work for the tuning you have in mind.
    This instrument also has other ergonomics problems... It's big and it is awkward to hold it when seated. Using a strap and standing up is probably the solution to that.
    Life is full of compromises... Designing one of these which is ergonomically superior is no weekend project.
    I thought your comment on mandocello ergonomics was interesting.

Of course the Eastman MDC805 is basically an 8 string jumbo body (16" lower bout) guitar. I have several Gibson jumbos (i.e., L-7 & L-50) and as you know I converted another L-50 into a "K-50" mandocello. I really do not consider this platform to be an issue for holding or playing. I also converted a super jumbo (17" lower bout) and that is not really a problem to hold either. But clearly opinions will vary on that.

What do you consider the ideal configuration for a mandocello? An A-style (e.g., K-1) or F-style (e.g., K-4) or jumbo box with with a cut out on the treble side (e.g., L-5C) -- or something else again?

I believe that your point about scale length bears a lot of thought. Some on this forum and other places have argued for a mandocello with a 27" (cello) scale. How an instrument like this would be to play depends entirely on HOW it was played --chords versus picking melodies etc.

I do think the 24.75" scale on the Gibson L-50 I converted is on the boarder line of being too short. I felt the opposite about the 25.5" Epiphone Zenith I did earlier. The 25" scale Vega C-66 seemed closest to ideal to me?
    Last edited by Bernie Daniel; Dec-28-2014 at 4:12pm.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    I have a Hathway mc strung up as bouzouki and I want to make it into CGDDAAEE or CGDdAaEe
    So I wont have to change the tuners but I just have to calculate the nut spacing
    I think that would be a better way to modify the Eastman

Sounds great to me, nice playing as well, I was thinking about an Eastman, but shied away at the thought of having to mess with the setup, I guess I would like to play one before I bought it, hard to do in Upstate NY.

Appreciate the demo.

Nut pic and specs:

Name:	_MG_2074.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	128122

Name:	Mandocello Nut CNC.PDF 
Views:	241 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	128121

Hi Marty,

I've been wondering how to adjust the spacing on my Eastman mandocello and this looks interesting. Did you also make the same compensations at the bridge? If so, would you mind posting the measurements [similar to your bridge spacing diagram]? Did you have to make a new bridge?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

Hi Mike. I did not have to do anything to the bridge, it seemed fine. Good luck!

What do you consider the ideal configuration for a mandocello? An A-style (e.g., K-1) or F-style (e.g., K-4) or jumbo box with with a cut out on the treble side (e.g., L-5C) -- or something else again? Ah, Bernie, I think Marty has something in mind: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/gr...301&do=discuss