Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Overpriced mandolins ...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Overpriced mandolins ...

Quote Originally Posted by sachmo63 View Post
    Brad, I don't think that's very nice. The OP was mearly pointing out what has been discussed here at length; that some mandolins are very much over priced and whether you agree with the OP or not does not give you permission to boss people around and call them names I.e. (Flame Thrower).
    I Brad's comment is fair. (BTW you know his name -- but yours is sachmo6?)

Yes this topic HAS been discussed here in the past, about a million times, and I think calling the original post incendiary (a subjective evaluation) seems as reasonable as the original poster's negative, and equally SUBJECTIVE, comments about the 'inferior" and more expensive mandolins he (she?) tested.

It would not be at all surprising to find other mandolin pickers would find the $22K mandolin to be MUCH better than his/her (name?) Givens. Then what?

I don't put much stock in the OP evaluation anyway because it seems to me that the store mandolins were being compared to the memory of the Givens? Maybe the Givens would not have sounded so superior in an ACTUAL back to back comparison?
    Last edited by Bernie Daniel; Dec-28-2014 at 1:15am.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    1. "How mandolins sound" is a subjective judgment.
    +1 on everything Allen says. But the above quote is most likely the key to the OP's apparent disgust of the mandolins. I personally know a man who prefers the mellow woody sound of an old flatback over the cleaner crisper sound of a carved mandolin. He would take a flatback over an early Gibson that would have most folks drooling. The man used to play bluegrass, but now his music tastes have changed and so have his opinions about what sounds good. What may sound foul to you may sound great to another... perhaps even $22000 great.

So the question is, if you didnt like the sound, what do you care if they are way off in price? I see violins on ebay every day that I wouldnt give $50 for and are listed and over a grand. But it doesnt bother me cause even if they were $50, I would buy them. You see what im saying here is you really only have a reason to complain about the price of something if you would actually like to buy that something.

Knowing how incredibly difficult it is to make a living on any type of skilled labor/art in this time in which we live, I have to go with the outlook of charge what you think you can get. The value of something, when it comes down to it, is how much someone is willing to dig out of their wallet. Sure, there are guides for values of things such as cars and antiques, but those guides are simply a reporting of how much the average person was willing to pay for whatever it is your valuating. I have experienced trying to make a living off of fine woodwork. Most people who were buying thought I was overcharging, and most people who knew what went into my product though I was undercharging. It turns out I never made over $10/hr, generally less, and would often work day and night to get my product out in a reasonable time.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pianoman89 For This Useful Post:

OMG......... why don't we just tie the OP to a stake and have an old fashioned blood sacrifice for him daring to voice his opinion of some mandolins he tried, didn't care for, and then had the sheer audacity to voice his opinion they were overpriced.
    If I miss one day’s practice, I notice it. If I miss two days’ practice, the critics notice it. If I miss three days’ practice, the public notices it.
    Franz Liszt, 1894

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rubydubyr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    I stopped into the local wine store to make a Christmas purchase a few days ago.
    Lots of bottles on the shelves there at astronomical prices. I'd never pay that kind of money for a bottle of wine. Those bottles are there because some people have different preferences than my own.
    I'm perfectly happy with a <$10 dollar bottle of Australian Cabernet.
    I dont' lose any sleep over it.
    Yes it is all relative.

When in high school and before I should have been able to buy anything with alcohol in it we had our favorite wine (favorite = we could afford it) -- it was called "Thunderbird". Someone even memorialized it with a poem.

What's the word?
    Thunderbird!
    What's the price?
    Forty twice!

We did not lose any sleep drinking our 80 cent a bottle wine either -- though I expect we might have lost some stomach lining. If it were still on the market it would probably be used to degrease transmission parts.

At least you stayed on topic with your post..............
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

7. The following members say thank you to Bernie Daniel for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rubydubyr View Post
    OMG......... why don't we just tie the OP to a stake and have an old fashioned blood sacrifice for him daring to voice his opinion of some mandolins he tried, didn't care for, and then had the sheer audacity to voice his opinion they were overpriced.
    Hyperbole perhaps?

I'm wondering how the maker of the $22K mandolin would feel about the OP. What comes around goes around eh?
    Bernie
    ____

Definitely a double standard at work. Few here would argue that an entry-level Rogue would be overpriced at $500. But then no maker is being dissed because it just comes from a big factory after all.

Best way to find out what something is "worth" is put it on auction, like a lot of high-end instruments. It sells to the highest bidder and by definition that's what it's worth. Would that $22K mando get $22K on auction? It might go higher or it might go lower, but you can't argue that it ended up at the wrong price.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman89 View Post
    I personally know a man who prefers the mellow woody sound of an old flatback over the cleaner crisper sound of a carved mandolin. He would take a flatback over an early Gibson that would have most folks drooling.
    O, the horror! Sounds like a man after my own heart, and one with good taste! <3 And I'm a woman with such preferences, and think the added bonus that they're less expensive is just gravy. I hope the likes of us aren't considered too eccentric or freakish around here?

So now the question is why the OP posts to comment about high prices, or "overpriced" instruments? I can't climb into his/her head and answer that, but perhaps it's just one person's way of expressing joyfulness at the good fortune of having a (relatively) reasonably priced instrument that so well satisfies him or her?

I know certain people around here take extreme umbrage at any criticism (or even perceived slights) made toward any of their sacred cows, and for that reason I kind of try to keep my own gloating to a minimum. But for my part, it's a fact that I wouldn't trade a single one of my flatbacks for a carved one, even one costing more than I earn annually (especially an f-hole model), if I actually had to keep and play it. Of course, if I could flip it and get something else that I actually wanted or needed, that would be another story. ;-)

bratsche
    (And I happily tell anyone my real name who sends me a PM - I just have this thing about wanting it to remain unsearchable on the interwebz.)
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bratsche For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    I hope the likes of us aren't considered too eccentric or freakish around here?[/SIZE]
    I should hope not. Its hard to beat the sound of a Brazilian Rosewood flatback, especially when your playing in a small group and don't need to cut through to be heard.

I surly was not intending to slight the flatback, just pointing out that, as previously stated, sound is such a subjective quality.

Amongst mandolins in almost all price ranges for 'decent' instruments,there will be variations in tonal quality. Some will be ok,some will be good & others that will sound very good indeed 'within their price range'. One thing that i've found with my own instruments,is that on a daily basis,especially as temperatures range up & down,their tonal & volume aspects change. When mine are cold,they go sharp - literally, & sound thin & tinny. However,when they get warm,the sound opens up & they usually sound superb. Deep,woody bass (especially on my Lebeda) but even the trebles sound more full bodied. You could simply have caught the high priced instruments that you played on a bad day - it does happen. Maybe if you'd had your Givens with you at the time,a more fair comparison might have been made.
    Ron Mc's analogy re.cars - Any car will get you from A to B,but who would suggest that a high cost / performance car wouldn't be a more enjoyable driving / riding experience - probably not many. In exactly the same way,even a relative newcomer to the mandolin world would enjoy playing a high cost ''excellent sounding / playing'' mandolin rather than a $50 'beater'.
    If your Givens sounds as good as you say,then you're very fortunate. You've already got what many of us are constantly searching to find. I found my own 'ideal' in my recently purchased Ellis "A" style,but that doesn't mean that my Weber "Fern" & my Lebeda "Special" are inferior - no way !. They're simply different sounding mandolins, & i enjoy all of themfor exactly that reason. I take any one of them 'out to play' as my choice dictates & i'm never disappointed,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Pricing is something that is sometimes hard for many of us to understand with mandolins as with many other things. The observation that, "this is a topic that has been discussed many times here" speaks to that difficulty. It will come up again. And there will be arguments both ways as with everything that is difficult to understand.

Fortunately, pricing is something we only have to justify to ourselves. We look to others for confirmation because that is human nature. In the beginning there is a very poor understanding. But I think after just a few years of play, its not so hard to determine what something is worth to us. But its still human nature to try to get our pals to agree with our valuation.

So we can say whether we agree or not for us (but not for anyone else). But there is no need to get testy.

I assume the reason the op didnt announce the builder or the shop is that he didnt want to hurt anyone's feelings. And I assume some dont use their real name because there is no telling who gets enraged by what on a public forum; and who knows the mental stability of strangers and why expose their family to something like that on a forum that is just suppose to be for fun. Only a small fraction of those reading the forum ever become members, and only a fraction of the members ever post.

I have made friends on this forum who know who I am. And I don't mind the owner of the forum knowing who I am. But I don't want the world knowing who I am. Not because I am ashamed of anything I say. But because there are lots of kinds of people in the world many of whom are unable to control themselves and I dont need that kind of hassle in my life.

So those of you who use your name, that is fine with me. Yes I do feel more connected by knowing it. On the other hand, just because others elect not to do so, does not in any way lesson the relevance of their post. And the "calling out" of such a thing as a bullying ploy certainly reinforces my decision.

--Astro

(hint: Not my real name)
    Last edited by Astro; Dec-28-2014 at 6:08am.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Astro For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    Definitely a double standard at work. Few here would argue that an entry-level Rogue would be overpriced at $500...
    I'm pretty sure I would. They sell for less than $50.00.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Something to consider a whole bunch is that the top players I show things to pretty much never use the term "tone." They're looking at things other than tone.
    Stephen Perry

It's all in the eyes, ears and wallet of the beholder !

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Perry View Post
    Something to consider a whole bunch is that the top players I show things to pretty much never use the term "tone." They're looking at things other than tone.
    Interesting Stephen. What things do the top players say they are looking for ?
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    Hyperbole perhaps?

I'm wondering how the maker of the $22K mandolin would feel about the OP. What comes around goes around eh?
    Do you have a personal stake in this? Is that why you are so quick to heat the tar and gather the feathers?????
    If I miss one day’s practice, I notice it. If I miss two days’ practice, the critics notice it. If I miss three days’ practice, the public notices it.
    Franz Liszt, 1894

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman89 View Post
    ... personally know a man who prefers the mellow woody sound of an old flatback over the cleaner crisper sound of a carved mandolin. He would take a flatback over an early Gibson that would have most folks drooling. The man used to play bluegrass, but now his music tastes have changed and so have his opinions about what sounds good. What may sound foul to you may sound great to another... perhaps even $22000 great.....
    Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    O, the horror! Sounds like a man after my own heart, and one with good taste! <3 And I'm a woman with such preferences, and think the added bonus that they're less expensive is just gravy. I hope the likes of us aren't considered too eccentric or freakish around here? .....I know certain people around here take extreme umbrage at any criticism (or even perceived slights) made toward any of their sacred cows, and for that reason I kind of try to keep my own gloating to a minimum. But for my part, it's a fact that I wouldn't trade a single one of my flatbacks for a carved one, even one costing more than I earn annually (especially an f-hole model), if I actually had to keep and play it. Of course, if I could flip it and get something else that I actually wanted or needed, that would be another story.... ;-)
    Well I certainly agree that the sound of a flat back or gourd back mandolin is perfect for classical and Neapolitan etc. music. And who would argue with that after seeing and/or hearing Caterina Lichtenberg play a piece?

They might even sound OK for doing Rawhide (levity here) -- I really don't know!

However, the other point you make about -- that all of us F-style enthusiasts are "thin skinned" about our scroll envy is a red herring.

Do you EVER hear the F-style devotees putting down a flat back, a tater bug or an A-style mandolin or chiding the folks who choose to own one? Doubt it. Could have happened but not enough for me to recall an occasion.

It seems to me that the only people who stir up this hornet's nest are those mandolinists who DON"T own a scroll? So perhaps the old saw wears thin or dull after the 1000th time?

For someone like the OP who does not like the looks of an F-style mandolin and/or thinks they cost too much -- here is a very simple solution: DON"T BUY ONE!!!

I do like his/her tag line though!
    Bernie
    ____

22. The following members say thank you to Bernie Daniel for this post:

The "worth" of an item is what someone/the public is willing to pay for it. The "value" of an item is when quality/performance exceeds the item's "worth."

24. The following members say thank you to Randy Linam for this post:

Great point, Petrus
    Franz Liszt, 1894

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Pricing is something that is sometimes hard for many of us to understand with mandolins as with many other things. The observation that, "this is a topic that has been discussed many times here" speaks to that difficulty. It will come up again. And there will be arguments both ways as with everything that is difficult to understand.

Fortunately, pricing is something we only have to justify to ourselves. We look to others for confirmation because that is human nature. In the beginning there is a very poor understanding. But I think after just a few years of play, its not so hard to determine what something is worth to us. But its still human nature to try to get our pals to agree with our valuation.

So we can say whether we agree or not for us (but not for anyone else). But there is no need to get testy.

I assume the reason the op didnt announce the builder or the shop is that he didnt want to hurt anyone's feelings. And I assume some dont use their real name because there is no telling who gets enraged by what on a public forum; and who knows the mental stability of strangers and why expose their family to something like that on a forum that is just suppose to be for fun. Only a small fraction of those reading the forum ever become members, and only a fraction of the members ever post.

I have made friends on this forum who know who I am. And I don't mind the owner of the forum knowing who I am. But I don't want the world knowing who I am. Not because I am ashamed of anything I say. But because there are lots of kinds of people in the world many of whom are unable to control themselves and I dont need that kind of hassle in my life.

So those of you who use your name, that is fine with me. Yes I do feel more connected by knowing it. On the other hand, just because others elect not to do so, does not in any way lesson the relevance of their post. And the "calling out" of such a thing as a bullying ploy certainly reinforces my decision.

--Astro

(hint: Not my real name)
    Hear, Hear!!!!! Very well said and thank you muchly for a voice of sanity in the wilderness!
    Franz Liszt, 1894

Interesting Stephen. What things do the top players say they are looking for ?
    I was just wondering that myself.......
    Franz Liszt, 1894

On the bright side, there is something for everyone out there. It's truly amazing the selection of instruments now available in this modern world, truly amazing. Something in every price range that is decent and sometimes great and sometimes spectacular. Everyone can find their little piece of mandolin heaven.

Blog Entries

Pricing is something that is sometimes hard for many of us to understand with mandolins as with many other things. The observation that, "this is a topic that has been discussed many times here" speaks to that difficulty. It will come up again. And there will be arguments both ways as with everything that is difficult to understand....
    Which is why screeds like the OP don't make much sense -- one should not buy a mandolin that they think is "butt ugly" or does not sound good, or is too expensive. There problems solved!

...I assume the reason the op didnt announce the builder or the shop is that he didnt want to hurt anyone's feelings.....
    Well since the shop was in the "Big City" -- which is New York? And the mandolin was priced at $22K --how many choices for the "local, famous luthier" can you come up with?

...On the other hand, just because others elect not to do so, does not in any way lesson the relevance of their post...
    I don't always agree with that -- depends on the issue.
    Last edited by Bernie Daniel; Dec-28-2014 at 9:37am.
    Bernie
    ____

Thanks for the discussion! For the record, irrationality is a human trait. We all have it, some to a greater extent than others. And The Greater Fool theory is an economic one, not coined by me. And, yes, I don't like F scrolls. Never have; never will. If you want to pay for an F scroll, go ahead by all means. I would rather have a $2,000 mandolin and $20,000 in savings than a $22,000 mandolin. If I was a pro, making money from music, then I could justify the high-priced instrument, likening it to "my bulldozer". (I had an in-law who made money with his bulldozer.)

Some might think that I overpaid in 1979 but that was in an expanding market and the prices rose accordingly. Most failed to notice the final paragraph in my second post, the one about the industry expert predicting a stagnation of prices as the retiring Boomers start to dump their collections. If you have not been paying attention of late, there are a lot of Boomers who are not prepared for retirement. Maybe 100% of those with the large collections of instruments (not just mandolins) are financially secure, but I doubt it.

I do not want to name the luthier out of respect for him and his craft. He probably makes some decent instruments, but has overpriced the two that I tried in my humble opinion.
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

In other posts the OP tells us he is in Minnesota. When he went to "the big city" he tried instruments by a "local famous luthier". Ok who makes mandolins in Minnesota, is well known for them, and charges up to 22000 for them? It ain't rocket science folks. Not hard to figure out at all. Starts with a B? Anyone else besides me connect those dots?

The OP is doing what we all tell everyone to do. Play a bunch of instruments and find out what sound you like. Sounds to me like he is enacting exactly what most of us preach. If he knows what he likes then that is to his advantage.

I have somewhat the opposite problem. All my mandolins sound distinctly different but I think they all sound good as well! So I guess I have multiple ideas of what a good mandolin sounds like.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

32. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

This topic seems to resurface on a regular basis. Which seems to indicate that there are lots of folks out there, even in the mandolin playing world, that question the value of higher priced mandolins.

To me the answer is really simple: Buy what you like and can afford. Let others do the same. Go make music with what you have and enjoy it.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.