Thread: finger plane choices

Default finger plane choices

I'm interested in people's opinions regarding finger planes. I'm looking at starting to build instruments (I think most often about mandolins and violins), and I've read lots about different finger planes. Any thoughts on the following?

-Ibex planes seem like the most commonly used product, but I hear lots of people grumble about the toll they take on one's fingers.

-the D'angelico planes available at LMII seem like they'd help with the stress on fingers, but people's opinions seem to be mixed about their utility.

-Lee Valley has detail palm planes with convex soles and a palm rest, but the blades look insubstantial in the photos I've seen, and I don't know how easily they make fine adjustments to the blade depth. Not as many people seem to have used these.

I get that there are lots of other tools involved, but for now I'm just interested in the finger plane choice. I've got plenty of hand tools--I built wooden boats in the 1990s--and have access to a fully outfitted shop at the local college.

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Default Re: finger plane choices

Thanks for asking this. I've been thinking and wondering about finger planes too. Will be watching for the experts opinions as the post.

One of the things that I found when I was first considering building an instrument was that....well, finger planes are rather pricey -at least for quality ones and for someone who isn't sure if instrument building will be something that he will keep on with. Finger planes are somewhat more of a niche tool than, say, a block plane. Other than instrument building, there use is somewhat limited. I ended up using a #7, 14mm palm gouge for carving plates and found it was be quite effective. I usually handled the tool somewhat differently than intended, but I still found it quite enjoyable to work with and so far have used it on two mandolins and a violin. I certainly am not trying to discourage you from purchasing finger planes -I still would like to get some myself. But I have found that if you are on a limited budget and just trying out building, finger planes are not a must-have.

Howdy,
    Just another amateur here. My tools of choice are: Wagner SafTplaner, ibex 12mm fingerplane, small palm gouge(with mild sweep). Here's an olde threade where the pros(and some ams) discuss fingerplanes. The ibex planes have gotten a lot more expensive in the last few years, so I understand your hesitance, but I'm happy with mine even with the bad ergonomics.

benny

The finger planes of different sizes are for different applications and I find all of them useful. I started with the 12mm round bottom IBEX many years ago and got along without the other sizes for many years, but now that i have most of them I wish I had bought them long ago. The IBEX planes are not as good as I think they should be but I still find them real work horses if you keep them sharp and adjusted. Learning how to use them properly makes all the difference between pleasure and frustration.

You can make your own planes, from tiny finger planes all the way up to huge jointers, and it's not rocket science. The key is to use good steel for the iron, and you can get that sort of thing from a machinist supply or industrial supplier. Or you can get Hock irons, which are highly rated.

you can make them out of wood and buy the ibex blades if you want

Alan Dunwell's photo essay on making your own wooden planes.

They are all a little different. What works on one project today will be the wrong size for tomorrow's and they all fit your hand different than the person who made the plane. As much as I hate to say it, you kind of have to buy them all and then get rid of the ones that don't work for you. The mid sized Ibex are a good starting point.

j.
    www.condino.com
    finger plane dork
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	condino & laarman plane (Small)..JPG 
Views:	361 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	128072   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	condino fingerplanes.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	246.6 KB 
ID:	128073  

Very appropriate reply, James.

More palm than finger, I spend a lot of time playin with these plain planes, made from the finest farwood, 3/16 trussrod cutoffs, and chopped up yard sale flat files, make a pile and see what feels best, you'll know what makes the cut.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tool5.JPG 
Views:	228 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	128086