Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to learn the art of mandolin making?

Default Where to learn the art of mandolin making?

I consider myself to be an amateur luthier. I am able to do proper set-ups on guitars and mandolins and have restored several instruments (I am working on an old Harmony right now). I am interested in making a mandolin from scratch and I would like to gain more knowledge of mandolin making. Where can I learn how to become an official luthier and take my hobby to the next level?

Default Re: Where to learn the art of mandolin making?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4339.jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	127950Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2855 (1024x683) (1024x683).jpg 
Views:	417 
Size:	245.7 KB 
ID:	127951

I have attached an example of my work. This violin had 8 cracks that I repaired and I did a complete restoration on it down to a french polish finish.

You can learn right here and in your own shop. What do you want to make? An 'a' style, F style, other design. or? If you are serious about making instruments on a professional level you need to study some great instruments. Make a copy of a '24 Loar using Hogo's plans. Talk about an education, getting your head around that design is the benchmark in the mandolin world, unless you are into classical music and the bowl back mandolins. If you can make a respectable copy of an F5 you can make just about anything. Like I stated earlier, making a good F5 is a real education.

If you need to learn the basics of how mandolins are put together then get a kit to start. If you don't know just ask.

4. The following members say thank you to Michael Lewis for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MosquitoXEL View Post

That's neat ... I've never seen a smooth edge like that on a violin. Very elegant and minimalist.

As Michael said, right here.
    The search feature on this site will bring up at least one discussion on just about any question you can come up with. Read everything you can, ask questions, observe good luthiers at work, and build. It's a lifelong process, learning lutherie, so just start doing it. As for repair/restoration work, if you have any doubt whatsoever about how to proceed, ask someone with lots of repair experience. The repair field has gotten more dogmatic as "vintage instrument" values have risen, and there are accepted methods and materials that must be adhered to if your work is to be considered first rate. Gone are the days when serviceable repairs using alternative methods were grudgingly accepted, they are now sacrilege.

7. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

If you don't already have it get Siminoff's Building a Bluegrass Mandolin. I think your approach makes a lot of sense but I would buy a few junker mandos and restore them before building from scratch. I have purchased busted mandos for that purpose from $30 to $100 and have ended up with a few real nice players.

9. The following members say thank you to bart mcneil for this post:

John gives an excellent answer. Let me just offer two additional thoughts.

1. Build a kit with excellent instructions. Pick a kit that requires the maximum amount of work. Saga kits are popular but so much is already done for you. Stew Mac kits require much more work so you learn more, and the instructions are excellent. Siminoff kits are reportedly good also, and you have choices as to how much is already done. The kit from Luthiers Mercantile is pretty close to being a scratch build. Seems like any skills you gain from a kit build would transfer to a scratch build later.

2. Don Kawalek offers a mandolin building workshop in Virginia every March. It is like a camp and you build one of his kits under his instruction. At the end of the week you have a completed instrument in the white. It is a flat top, but again a lot of the construction techniques would transfer. I have never taken it but would love to someday. Those who have taken it rave about it.

Good luck!
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

11. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

I have attached an example of my work. This violin had 8 cracks that I repaired and I did a complete restoration on it down to a french polish finish.
    Ive been buying and restoring violins for 10 years and just got my first Russian style violin two days ago on ebay. Cant wait to get started on it.

As far a building from scratch, dont let it overwhelm you. Really, just take it one step at a time, and before you know it, youl be trying to figure out the best method for applying varnish. I built my first violin (with the guidance of an extremely talented luthier) when I was 12, and it is still my favorite instrument to play. Really, if youve been doing repair, your well prepared for new construction, as repair gives a good foundation of knowledge of how things go together, and can often be more difficult than new construction. As I am known to say, the only skill you need to make a decent instrument is patience. Making a masterpiece requires experience, but patience will get you on that road. My younger brother also built a violin when he was 10.
    Hope this is encouraging. Ill post a pic or two of my #1 and #2 in hopes that pics of a first attempt will encourage you even further...

The restoration looks great BTW. Im sure some may take issue with the refinish, but they way I look at it is you took an instrument that was neither playable nor visually pleasing, and turned it into both. If it had been a highly valuable instrument, you would definitely want to take a different approach. But IMO you increased the value is this violin.

Keep us updated!

- Pianoman89

13. The following members say thank you to pianoman89 for this post:

#1 is the light brown, constructed when I was 12 with the guidance on an experienced luthier. The red one is #2, but my first solo construction. Again, hope this will be encouraging to you!

Name:	031.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	127960Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.NEF.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	127961Click image for larger version. 

Name:	019.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	127962Click image for larger version. 

Name:	024.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	127963Click image for larger version. 

Name:	040.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	127964Click image for larger version. 

Name:	046.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	127965

With a mandolin, there are obviously a few other skills needed such a fretting. But having built new fretboards for mandolins as well, I can tell you if you can construct the body, fretting shouldnt be and issue for you.

Good luck!

15. The following members say thank you to pianoman89 for this post:

Well, it's not hard. And I'm not special or talented, I just enjoy the process. If you enjoy it, then it'll be easy. The most earnest parts for me is getting the binding to look nice, sanding away all the glue between the binding and plates. Getting the binding miters to look good, getting good clean fretwork edges, basically the little stuff which is called the details. Everything is just woodworking and if you love wood, you'll love the process.

17. The following members say thank you to fscotte for this post:

Indecently, while there is art as an aspect of lutherie, it is mostly craft. Learning to be a good craftsman is the important thing for building good instruments. Most of the art involved is in interpreting the nuances of designs. Frankly, we can slavishly duplicate high quality instruments are make great instruments by doing that alone without applying any art of our own. I feel that the better builders among us express art in their interpretation of details, and there can also be applied art in the form of inlay and other decoration, but starting out, learn the crafts involved; woodworking, fret work, set up, finishing, etc., and when you gain control of those aspects, then apply as much art as you see fit.

19. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    That's neat ... I've never seen a smooth edge like that on a violin. Very elegant and minimalist.
    That looks like a Russian style violin similar to those made by Rigat Rubus of St. Petersburg. You can see one example here.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

21. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    That looks like a Russian style violin similar to those made by Rigat Rubus of St. Petersburg. You can see one example here.
    The violin is a 1900s/late 1800s Russian violin made under the name "Schuster" in St. Petersberg. I am not a violinist so I cannot comment on the tone, but I am happy how it came out.

Thank you to all who replied. As I continue my journey on restoring and building new mandolins I will use this website for help. Thanks again!

I like the rounded look... Here is the one I just purchased. Notice the very unique scroll. Im not sure ive seen as scroll like that before even on a russian style instrument....

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman89 View Post
    I like the rounded look... Here is the one I just purchased. Notice the very unique scroll. Im not sure ive seen as scroll like that before even on a russian style instrument....
    Good luck! I look forward to seeing it when it is finished!

Blog Entries

. Where can I learn how to become an official luthier and take my hobby to the next level?
    I don't know what an official luthier is.
    I've lived and breathed mandolin building for the last four years to the exclusion of almost everything else. In two months time I should have completed my seventh instrument. Only now am I starting to produce instruments that satisfy me both acoustically and visually.

I'm not a luthier and may never be, I'm a journeyman. This year I must to learn how to make Ukuleles because a good friend has insisted I make her one.This will be an opportunity to learn about the world of flat topped and backed instruments but it still won't make me a luthier.

It's a long, mostly enjoyable and occasionally very satisfying journey. A lot of reading, experimenting, talking (asking and listening) and failure are involved. Apart from developing the woodworking skills and understanding the science as well as you can, you must develop your ear. Listen to lots of players. Listen to lots of instruments. listen to different genres. It also helps if you can play reasonably well (my Achilles heel).

In my view luthier is a well rounded artisan who can set up, repair and build a wide variety of instruments efficiently and effectively.
    ...and has a leather apron.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

27. The following members say thank you to Pete Jenner for this post:

If you live reasonably close to Don Kawaleck (Virginia) or Roger Siminoff (central California) and have the financial wherewithal, you could enroll in one of their classes in mandolin construction. Nothing like hands-on construction being supervised by somebody who knows what he's doing.
    -- John LaTorre
    Sacramento, California USA
    "Good judgment is the product of experience. Experience is the product of bad judgment" -- old aviation proverb

I think you get out of a school or class proportionally according to what you put into it. The more you know before you go the more you will be able to assimilate and grow your knowledge and skills. Start by doing something, and I suggest first put a kit together. You will learn more than you would think by doing this with a high quality kit like Siminoff or StewMac.

Roger Siminoff's facility is in Arroyo Grande up the coast from you, call him and talk. "The next one will be better". (luthier's mantra)

First of alll, change the question to Where can I learn the craft of mandolin making?

The difference is subtle but important.

I think there are several levels required to take it to the next level, so to speak. I see the names of well-known makers and most started working for someone else, also well-known. An apprenticeship, if you will. Many started at Gibson, years ago. Don't know if this is what you had in mind, relocating, etc. Don't know how many openings are available, if any. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by bart mcneil View Post
    First of alll, change the question to Where can I learn the craft of mandolin making?

The difference is subtle but important.
    Absolutely agree, but I would say the art and the craft go hand in hand. The best makers have aspects of both. Of course, the one question that Jeff brings up is what the OP is looking for: merely to increase knowledge and experience on building and restoring or to pursue a career (or both).
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Adrian Minarovic

One of the important things to remember is that there is no absolute truth in various methods and you'd better not rely on one source only. Read books and search the net but ask questions here even about build processes that sound / look simple in books or YT vids as perception may mislead badly. You'll get tons of good advice here from seasoned builders and anytime you are not sure who to listen to then LISTEN TO JOHN HAMLETT. He is very willing and helpful in his responses and always gives good advice. Listen to good advice, practice it and you'll soon become good craftsman, the art may come later...
    Adrian

34. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

Sola 

You can make things easier at the beginning by starting with simpler designs. AFAIK, a flat top (particularly the flatiron pancake style) is easier to make than a carved archtop. With fiddles, if also interested in going further with them, you can start with a box fiddle or the trapezoidal fiddle. This book by Ronald Roberts is a good start:

Name:	0robertsbook.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	128070

It's not turning up on Amazon or I'd put up a link. I found one at the local library and it got me going on box fiddles. I wish there were something as simple for mandos; again, best bet is start with a flat top, round hole before trying a complex f style.

Has anyone here considered a formal program such as the three-year full-time program at the North Bennet Street School in Boston (NFI)? That's another way to go about it, although it's a bit costly. Here's the link http://www.nbss.edu/education/progra...air/index.aspx