Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mandocello conversion... soon

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandocello conversion... soon

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    You all may remember that I use octave pairs on my Eastman; having a thick and thin string together on the C, G and D also seems to prevent the rattles; I've never experienced it.
    Yes running octave tuning on the C,G, & D courses does eliminate the rattle. The trade off, it seems to me, is to give a very different sound to the mandocello. I think the octave tuning detracts from the booming bass sound --but it adds sustain.

The question you have to decide is should the smaller string be on the treble or bass side?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    The question you have to decide is should the smaller string be on the treble or bass side?
    I like the higher octave string on the treble side; opposite of most 12 string guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    I like the higher octave string on the treble side; opposite of most 12 string guitars.
    Most…. mine must fall outside that category as I like the higher octave on the treble side too, which is where my cheap 12-string has it. Only downside is that sometimes you miss the lighter string on softer strumming or picking but it’s still an amazingly full sound. I recorded a single a few years back as a session musician and the producer liked the sound so much he made it a 3-track with an acoustic version, just to highlight the 12-string sound.
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Though not the same instrument, my buchanan zouk is octave strung - I tried putting the high strings on the treble side, but ended up re-stringing. I really missed how it sounded when strung 12 string style. The Forster will strung in unison though...
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    No lie. I cheat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nut cam.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	128112

Machining is actually less than one minute, but it has a tool change, so it's about 2 minutes.
    I keep looking at that diagram and it is a marvelous thing to see. Why is there no vertical red perpendicular red cut marker on the second D-string?

Maybe you could add a mandocello fret board, nut and bridge cutting service to your shop -- OTOH the 5 jobs a year would probably not be worth the effort!

I guess this is why Eastman has done nothing about this issue for years too?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Got my Eastman in the mail today. She sure is a big old girl hanging around my neck!
    More later!

Bernie, the red line (material engagement cut) is there, but it's overlaid by the yellow (rapid move retract) is overlaying it.
    Yes, there's not much market for this kind of work. But money isn't everything.

4 fresh new pix....

http://s588.photobucket.com/user/stu...tml?sort=3&o=0

It's 9 years old and in good shape. Notice it has dots unlike the new Eastman stuff.
    Sounds good, plays nice.
    Ordering new tuners, cast tailpiece, and will fab up a new bridge and nut.
    Will add a Donnell Mini-Flex mic system later.

Happy New Year indeed!

That's awesome.. with the oval hole, it will make a great 'cello. Let us know how it comes out.