Thread: 1918 A1 with loose brace

Default 1918 A1 with loose brace

I apologize if this has been covered before. I just purchased a lovely pumpkin A1 in great shape except for its having a loose brace (the treble end). I intend to re-glue myself but want to verify that I'm on the right track. Is using Titebond #1 with the approach outlined here, acceptable practice?

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luth...andobrace.html
    Blow on, man.

Default Re: 1918 A1 with loose brace

While it's a steaper learning curve, hot hide glue (HHG) is a much much better option - it's what was in there originally and crucially the old HHG will re-activate when the new glue gloes in there. In contrast, if you use titebond, you will be glueing "glue to glue" which will not hold well - unless you remove all the old HHG first.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tavy For This Useful Post:

+1 on the hot hide glue, you will be able to glue it in another 50 years easily if you use HHG.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

5. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

I would recommend a thin consistency HHG, so you increase open time, which will give you enough time to get the clamp in there.
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

As simple as this repair might seem if you have never actually done this I suggest you take the instrument to someone that has this specific experience. The repair should be virtually undetectable when completed, and will not effect the value or integrity of your instrument. On the other hand if the repair is not done well it can degrade the value of the instrument and make it much more difficult for the next person to make the repair.

Hot hide glue for sure, and if you warm the instrument the glue will have an extended open time. Then there is the clean up which must be done shortly after the brace is clamped and before the glue hardens. Hide glue is a really tough substance, especially if is someplace it shouldn't be.

A dry run must be done for figuring our how to clamp and get glue in place, and then how to clean everything up with the clamp in the way and leave no marks. See what I mean?

Thanks everyone. I think I'll configure the clamping setup and run through a bunch of practice routines to see if I'm happy with my speed and solidness of clamp. Then I'll probably decide to bring it to an experienced repairman, since I'm not set up for HHG. I know that's the preferred glue, but thought for this sort of repair that the Titebond would be okay.

I've done repair and maintenance of the family's instruments for years and get so nervous handing them over to someone else. So, we'll see. I appreciate the sage advice.
    Blow on, man.