Thread: Yonde Mountain String Band New Years (Without Jeff Austin)?

Default Yonde Mountain String Band New Years (Without Jeff Austin)?

Is anyone going to see Yonder Mountain this New Years Eve in Boulder? What do you think of Jake so far? While the mandolin playing of Jeff Austin was very polarizing, he has departed with the band and they are appearing with some great guests. Andy Hall is going to be there rocking dobro with Andy Falco, John Popper, Shawn Camp, Dave Watts and Joey Porter, Jennifer Hartswick and Natalie Cressman. That is a whole lot of guests this year. More than any run I have seen... What do you all think? Also whats up with the run with starting on the 31st? I think I like that but am unsure what to expect!

Default Re: Yonde Mountain String Band New Years (Without Jeff Austin)?

I saw YMSB with Jake Jolliff last summer. I think he was the strongest player of the whole band, and he had just joined, at least temporarily! It was my introduction to JJ, but I guess he was already known to aficionados, playing on Grisman's Tone Poets album while pretty young and appearing on the cover of the final (sigh) Mandolin Magazine. I think he would be among the highest eshelon of today's mandolinists and has many years ahead to become only greater. Austin was excellent, but not quite in the same level IMHO. I would like to see JJ sometime as a headliner of his own band, doing his personal favorite stuff.

I was thinking about going, but I had some other things come up. I would not hesitate to go see this lineup, I saw them last year and it was a great show. I have also heard several live shows with Jake that were amazing.

The band is not as tight as they were with Jeff, and I think Jake is locking in but you can't suddenly replace a band member of so many years and think they will be as tight as they once were. If anything Jake's timing is too good, since the rest of the band are used to playing with Jeff they are used to the mandolin rushing!!!
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

Have not seen the new line up. Was not happy with Jeff's leaving but you could see it coming.
    Have seen Yonder many times going back to about '07.
    Hopefully will get to check them out this summer when they come to the north east.
    Has anyone seen Jeff's new band?
    Merry Christmas all

I too think Jake is the best instrumentalist in the band, but lets be honest, YMSB has never been about pure instrumental virtuosity. They write catchy tunes and have a very enthusiastic, energetic live show. I haven't seen the new lineup in person yet (they are coming to Chas in Jan or Feb) but the shows I have heard sound great. I also really like Allie on fiddle. I hope Jake stays with the band, and this isn't a "Bruce Hornsby Situation."
    Northfield Artist Series F5 (2 bar, Adirondack)