Thread: Blue Night Tab

Default Blue Night Tab

Anybody have the tab for this tune. I especially like Lou Reid's version. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Blue Night Tab

I have covered Monroe's break to this via webcam lessons with Compton. You might try that route.

Here's TAB to the Hot Rize version by T. O'Brien, this one is an Adam Steffey break, not sure whose recording of the song it is (probably says it somewhere on the TablEdit file). You'll need TEFView to view them, downloadable here for free.
    Mitch Russell

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

I'll never quite understand what people are asking for when asking for TAB for a song. Which key do you sing it in? Do you want a bare-bones outline of the melody (if you can sing it you csan play it) , an embellished variant or a truly take-off solo? Most examples here seem to be in B. Monroe recorded it in C and his solo has some passages that work in that key only, e.g., a triplet move from the low g to c, and alternating d's and e's on the top two courses. But why would anyone want to play somebody else's solo?

Quote Originally Posted by ralph johansson View Post
    I'll never quite understand what people are asking for when asking for TAB for a song. Which key do you sing it in? Do you want a bare-bones outline of the melody (if you can sing it you csan play it) , an embellished variant or a truly take-off solo? Most examples here seem to be in B. Monroe recorded it in C and his solo has some passages that work in that key only, e.g., a triplet move from the low g to c, and alternating d's and e's on the top two courses. But why would anyone want to play somebody else's solo?
    For the same reason a classical musician would want to playa Mozart, Bach, Beethovan, Bartok, etc solo? Because they enjoy it, want to also play it, or possibly as a learning experience?
    If I miss one day’s practice, I notice it. If I miss two days’ practice, the critics notice it. If I miss three days’ practice, the public notices it.
    Franz Liszt, 1894

Also, not everyone who can sing a piece of music are at a point in their musical development that they can play it. I had played piano for years before I found out I could actually pick out a pop tune from the radio note by note on the piano and then practice it and actually play it, and add harmony to it. And I didn't realize that until I attended a music camp and attended a session where one of my fellow classmates played by ear all the time and our instructor turned the session into a play by ear lesson. We then proceeded to pick out "Alone Again, Naturally". (And now, I am really dating myself )
    If I miss one day’s practice, I notice it. If I miss two days’ practice, the critics notice it. If I miss three days’ practice, the public notices it.
    Franz Liszt, 1894

In my case, I'm really starting to try to play songs in keys other than G and A. Most versions of Blue Night seem to be in B. I had a version I was working on based on my own playing, but I was not entirely happy with my own version. I wanted to get a handle on how others play it. I want to thank Onassis for the two versions he provided. One was Tim Obrien's and one was Steffey's. Both totally different from one another. Obrien's seemed to be simpler version, wherein Steffey's version was note-ier. Both versions have given me some good ideas. I use tablature as an outline. Yeah, it would be great to learn those two versions note-for-note, but then it wouldn't be me playing Blue Night. It would be my rendition of Obrien or Steffey's version.

Blue Night is a fun one to do and it seems to showcase the mandolin in hip ways. The reliance on the 5 note against the open flatted 7 really makes the mandolin sing. Ashby Frank gets some cool moves.