Thread: Bluegrass mandolin method books

Default Bluegrass mandolin method books

I was hoping people could recommend a good mandolin bluegrass course/book ?

I'm a professional guitar player and have been playing and doubling on mandolin for a few years ... mostly musicals and some sessions but I've never dabbled in bluegrass .. my reading and chord knowledge on the mando are pretty good so I'm looking for more improv/vocabulary type things ... any recommendations ?

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Default Re: Bluegrass mandolin method books

Quote Originally Posted by gtrplyr1 View Post
    I was hoping people could recommend a good mandolin bluegrass course/book ?

I'm a professional guitar player and have been playing and doubling on mandolin for a few years ... mostly musicals and some sessions but I've never dabbled in bluegrass .. my reading and chord knowledge on the mando are pretty good so I'm looking for more improv/vocabulary type things ... any recommendations ?

Niles Hokkanen (mandocrucian on the café) has excellent information out: http://www.mandolin.myzen.co.uk/hokkanen.html

I cut my eyeteeth on "The Pentatonic Mandolin". This book is much more than what you read in the title. Itīs excellent instruction.
    Olaf

You might find my free PDF book on constructing and using double stops useful. At the website below.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

This came out last year or earlier this year, got a lot of good reviews.
    Mitch Russell

Quote Originally Posted by onassis View Post
    This came out last year or earlier this year, got a lot of good reviews.

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies. Went with Mitch's recommendation ... looks like what I need and I can get it quick.

Any good DVD's to recommend ??

Thanks again ..

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Since you didnīt check into Pete Martinīs things, you might not be interested in his really good youtube videos.

DVDs are all over the place. What kind of music would you like to play on the mandolin. If itīs bluegrass, what style is it that youīre looking for. The Bill Monroe videos are absolutely essential (http://www.homespuntapes.com/Instruc...oe-two-dvd-set) but they are more than most bargain for. This is because DVD 1 is really difficult to follow even though Bill Monroe is captured late in his career and the "decomosition" of music has become more prevalent than before. DVD 2 is an excellent analysis of the Monroe style by Sam Bush. Yet this style is really complicated despite the fact that it looks easy. It is mostly about rhythm and the placement of the melody notes. More often than not the melody notes are shifted rythmically so they are not where you expect them to be (think Thelonious Monk or Turlough OīCarolan). It will do you good to study Bill Monroe on record in order to find out about his style in adition to the mentioned records.
    Olaf