Thread: Pava Satin v Pro

Default Pava Satin v Pro

Howdy Folks,

I'm upgrading my instrument, and am looking to buy either a Pava Satin or Pava Pro. The Pro is about $1K more, and the upgrades include a James tailpiece, back and board binding, gloss nitro finish, and maybe some finer selections of woods. Has anyone played both? Do the upgrades to the Pro really enhance the tone or playability?

Thanks all!

Default Re: Pava Satin v Pro

The upgrades are really just cosmetic, except for the tailpiece. A James tailpiece is a functional upgrade that you'll appreciate when changing strings. But both models should play and sound the same. One just looks more snazzy.

Some will say the finish difference will sound different. I've never been able to hear it.

very very unlikely. The "upgrades" mentioned are basically cosmetic upgrades. Not sound upgrades.

James tailpiece - cosmetic

back and board binding - cosmetic

selection of wood - very likely cosmetic

Some folks think a more expensive bridge may help, but that too is arguable.

It is likely a fine mandolin whether you choose "upgrades" or not.

It's also possible that the less expensive instrument might sound better to you. Only one way to find out.

You will be pleased no matter which you choose.

Blog Entries

post post

Blog Entries

I kinda prefer the way a bound fretboard feels - so thats slightly more than cosmetic to me.

Any reason you aren't considering the mid model Player?

The satin is a great deal and sounds great like the other models imo but fwiw satin finish does not seem as durable as gloss finish. imo

The Pro I played sounded similar to my satin. It was sexier to say the least

Is the used 2014 Pro still in the classifieds?

Thanks all. Seems like the consensus is that the benefits of the pro model are largely cosmetic. I think I'll go for the satin and see how it feels/sounds. Your feedback was much appreciated!

Did you end up buying the Satin? I'm interested. I played both at Carter during my last trip and have a strong opinion but I'm curious to hear your final outcome first!
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    The Pro I played sounded similar to my satin. It was sexier to say the least
    That's good to know. As an owner of a satin model, I'm completely happy with the way it feels and plays. The one I have even have a one piece back, which some of the Player models may not have.

Nonetheless, I can't stop thinking about upgrading to a Player or Pro model with a 'burst finish. So even though I got the goods, sexy is apparently what I'm after....

Quote Originally Posted by 9lbShellhamer View Post
    Did you end up buying the Satin? I'm interested. I played both at Carter during my last trip and have a strong opinion but I'm curious to hear your final outcome first!
    And pray tell!

I thought the Pava Pro was the best value in the whole shop at Carter. It's hard to say anything bad about the other Pava models, but the Pava Pro they had was mind-blowing. I am dreaming about another trip a few hours south to go play one. I have an MT2 now that I would LOVE to A/B with the Pava Pro. The MT2 I scored is a real beast, loud and open and complex tone, it's older...a 2002, but I only got to play that Pava for a few minutes and I NEVER forgot it... I got my MT2 for a steal, but I still want to compare side by side with that Pava. I can't wait to play another one!
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

13. The following members say thank you to 9lbShellhamer for this post:

Yeah but the Pro model will help you sound more Professional.

Very happy with my Satin Pava. There wasn't a Player or a Pro model at TMS to compare to the day that I dropped in to the shop. I a/b'd it with a new MT and a stunning used tangerine burst Mt-2 V that were both excellent. Not sayin'n the Pava was a better mandolin than either of those, but it was the one I chose. I was able to get a cleaner sound on notes above the octave. A finger rest/pickguard would be a good add-on as the satin finish will go shiny from contact pretty quick.

Scott

Curiosity bump...........

1. Just to confirm... a Pava F5 Satin is just as good regarding just TONE and VOLUME as the higher end Pava models? Like this one?
    https://themusicemporium.com/mandolins/pava_f5_satin

2. Also I see that folks say Pava's are a GREAT value. Is the great value comparing them what?
    To other high end mandos like Duff, Collings MF5V, Brentrup, Altman, Kimble, Daley, Northfield Artist, etc? (I know tonally these are apples to oranges, but as far as... "high end" tone, volume, woody, resonating, varnish (shellac) finish, etc. qualities?

Hope I'm asking this correctly... Thanks folks.

I've had a few experiences lately that have me questioning both my view of reality and reality itself. By this I mean I think I heard a very slight improvement in sound between a Collings MF and a Collings Deluxe I played the other day, then at another store I heard a difference in Webbers. I was playing one with a wide neck and asked for one with the regular one. It was the next level up and sounded better.

I have often thought makers would be grading wood potential and diverting the best to the fancier instruments. Pure speculation on my part. Throw in the I want to like this 'cause it's pretty self delusion, and who knows? I have had instances where a lower level instrument sounded better than a fancier sibling. I just don't know how you can totally bypass your own biases, subliminal or not.

Throw in a huge dose of subjectivity and I don't know how anyone ever decides what to buy. One thing is for sure, Pava makes really nice mandolins. If one fits your needs, aesthetic, playability or tone, buy it.

A friend asked me if he should buy a very expensive guitar. He lives in the sticks and buys online. I told him he would love it, but couldn't tell him he wouldnt't like something else in a well stocked shop better.

Send me a Pava Satin, I'll love it. Send me a Collings, I'll love it.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

cosmetic differences ! Sound the same ! Go for the Pro !

Thanks y'all. Will keep checking out the Satin F5 if tonally it's just as good.

Quote Originally Posted by lespaul_79 View Post
    Curiosity bump...........

1. Just to confirm... a Pava F5 Satin is just as good regarding just TONE and VOLUME as the higher end Pava models? Like this one?
    https://themusicemporium.com/mandolins/pava_f5_satin

2. Also I see that folks say Pava's are a GREAT value. Is the great value comparing them what?
    To other high end mandos like Duff, Collings MF5V, Brentrup, Altman, Kimble, Daley, Northfield Artist, etc? (I know tonally these are apples to oranges, but as far as... "high end" tone, volume, woody, resonating, varnish (shellac) finish, etc. qualities?

Hope I'm asking this correctly... Thanks folks.
    The mandolin in the link is a very good mandolin, indeed. See it’s “sale pending;” you bite? If so, I can’t imagine you being disappointed with that one!!
    Chuck

Finish sheen itself shouldn't affect tone much unless it's applied too thick. Probably the most significant consideration is that satin finishes over time take on a sheen in the places where there is friction contact (back of neck, shoulder/top of instrument where the picking arm rubs) so they won't look consistent. Some people try "rubbing out" their satin finish which gives mixed results. In the Collings line of mandos, if I'm not mistaken, the lower tier models with satin finish also have Englemann tops which produces a quieter, sweeter tone if that's what you're after. A true nitro finish over time melts/soaks into the wood (they're chemically related) instead of just sitting on top of the wood, and takes on a more brittle, crystalline structure. This is probably behind the crazing and cracks in the finish on older instruments as the finish moves with wood as it shrinks and expands. It also contributes to that amazing clear, 3 dimensional tone that a lot of vintage instruments have.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lespaul_79 View Post
    Also I see that folks say Pava's are a GREAT value. Is the great value comparing them what?
    The great value is comparing them to dollars spent. Quality to Price Ratio. Bang for the buck. In the case of Pavas, they are Ellis shop instruments for a fraction of the cost of an Ellis branded mandolin.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5