Thread: Can centering the bridge effect volume?

Default Can centering the bridge effect volume?

Yesterday I changed strings and as usual I was happy with the new strings volume and brightness. I actually noticed specifically more volume out of the A and E courses which I was quite happy about. The only thing was that the lowest of the G strings would hit the beveled edge and slip off when fretted at the 4th and up. So I moved the bridge ever so slightly to center up the strings. It fixed the G string issue but I swear I lost that volume on the E courses. Why would this change? Did I move them off of the hot spot on the top or something?

Default Re: Can centering the bridge effect volume?

Yes, I have experienced different tonal response by repositioning the bridge. You might check for any obvious gaps between the bridge feet and the top. It may also take some time for the bridge to get used to its new location.
    When 'good enough' is more than adequate.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Can centering the bridge effect volume?

Moving the bridge can affect volume (and intonation). A properly fit bridge matches the feet to the top where it is placed. If moved, the feet may not have full contact with the top and you may lose volume. Also, if you reposition it, you may skey the intonation for the instrument by changing the scale length.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +