Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oval hole suggestions....

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Default Oval hole suggestions....

My venerable oval hole is quite a beast. I could get a new fingerboard on it (it needs one) which would save me a heap of cash... but it got me thinking...

I like the full sound of an oval hole, but really don't know what I'd get from another maker if it came to it. I'm open to thoughts on scroll-y and non-scroll-y types...

Ideally, I don't want to wait ages for a build (though I'd love a shippey as he's local to me)... so as a UK guy I've of course checked out Trevor's shop.

So candidates broadly in my price range seem to be Collings MTO, Old Wave, Weber - but I've never played any of these and it's a four hour drive to Brighton which is quite an undertaking.

I like a wide nut, I hate those really cramped fretboards with the exaggerated D shape necks.

I can get a new build from Phil D, he has one on the bench now, but I'm opening up to possibilities and some of the aforementioned makers offer a less customised (less ££) alternative I should definitely consider.

I write more celtic flavoured stuff, love the picking sound on an oval. Drop in the odd klezmer signatures too. I'm not a bluegrasser, though I love how it sounds.

Your considered thoughts gentlemen & ladies
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Default Re: Oval hole suggestions....

I'am really enjoying my new Breelove KO Legacy .
    Has all the items you mentioned as being desirable .

A second vote for Breedlove. I love my FO. Webers are great, I own one, but it's an F hole. Never played one of their ovals. Would like to though. But their standard neck is a pretty slim soft V. Wide nut is special order on those. The wide nut is the normal nut on Breedloves.

You used to be able to get Breedloves two ways, sunburst and natural. On the new ones they only come one way,most of an orange looking burst that I don't care for. Glad I got my natural while I could. The flame on mine is outrageous, the wood they use now is kind of plain unfortunately. I guess some people like the new look.

Never played a Collings oval so no comment there. They do have a beautiful look.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

it'll come up sooner or later. . . do you want the neck joint at the 12th fret (ala Gibson) or the 15th fret (14 by some builders - ala Collings)? The non-12-fretters being considered, "Hybrid" models.

I'd look for a snakehead Gibson. I mean their pricing is similar to what's being currently made - $2 to $3K will get you a sweet oval hole Gibson!

Never played an Old-Wave. Would love to though.

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Well since I started this, I've been given a very very interesting idea by a forum member and option I'd not considered.

I have a breedlove f hole - I must nab it back of my friend to have another play some time - I always rather liked the neck on it.

I'd have to try their oval one really.

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    My band's website

Old Wave by Bill Bussman in New Mexico

This maybe old information, if so discard it. There are two basic types of oval hole mandolins: short neck and hybrid. For those new to the mandolin, the short neck attaches at the twelfth fret while most hybrids attach at the 15th fret. The result is a very different tone and playability. The tone of the old A oval tones have been described as tubby. Not all short necks have that "tubby" sound. I noticed it on a A4 that I had, but not as much on my sold Gibson F4 and none on my current Hester F4. There is a sweet tonal quality, for lack of other descriptive works. For a moment the opposite of the spectrum is an f hole F5 with the sharp attack. The hybrid due changes in the bridge placement have some of the qualities of the F5 while attaching a softness of the oval hole. Thus, the descriptive term hybrid. There are some makers who will make a short neck, Old Wave, Hester and Gilchrist to name a few. Quite a few makers make or will special order hybrids such as Collins, Ellis, Gibson to name a few. On the playability issue, the short neck is fine, if like me, you play mostly at the nut. But for the Chris Thilles of this world, the body of the instrument can be a bit constrictive when playing up the neck. Chris could probably play in an extraordinary way with a toy mandolin. I hope this helps. I am no authority. Any cafe members who are aware of any errors in what I have written please correct.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Mike Black makes a fine Oval A.

9. The following members say thank you to Tim Griffin for this post:

I sure like my Breedlove Quartz 00

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Sawchyn or Coombe.

(PS: Most impressive Gilchrist I've plunked on was one of his few oval holes.)

I might give the Gilchrist a miss for now...

My band's website

Blog Entries

Gary Nava springs immediately to mind.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

Hey Badger,

I would also recommend Gary Nava. Although I have never played one of his mandolins in person, I have enjoyed his pictures and sound clips that he has posted. Great looking and sounding instruments that won't break the bank either. Seems like a solid guy as well! From a personal standpoint, I would heartily recommend one of Will Kimble's oval holes if you can find one, or get him to make one. I know that he hasn't made too many, but they are wonderful if you can get one.

Good luck on your oval hole quest. I'll be looking forward to seeing how it transpires. Are you still loving your green Davidson? That one is a real looker!
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

Oh lord yes, Gary. Didn't think of that!
    Well, I alluded to this... I've had an interesting conversation with Nigel Forster... but I'll let him talk about that when he gets a moment!

DJ - Yeah, the Badgerlin is really opening up, getting on for a year old soon! I love it more & more each passing week. The tonegard's helping too. I've spent a lot of time playing it lately inevitably, it gets gigged so I've got two dings on it now, but it's minor. I'm still utterly in love with it! My playing is come along now too (wallet bigger than skill certainly...). Happy chap.

My band's website

Check out the Collings MFO video at the Music Emporium website (Cafe Sponsor) these are joined at the 13th fret so they're more F2 like but in my experience not as tubby. I have one that I'll never part with, great mandolin IMHO. The video is accurate to the sound of mine, it plays easy, 1 3/16 nut and the fit and finish couldn't be better.

Another vote for Old Wave. The finest oval hole A, and the best oval hole octave I've ever played or heard came from Bill. It's worth the 4 hour drive to pick one up from Trevor. He goes to the trouble of keeping Bill's instruments in stock for a reason, as does Mandolin Brothers. He's got the old school oval A down to an art form. Frank
    FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata

I like my Pomeroy A2

Look into Marty Jacobson here on the cafe. Marty is building some of the most innovative oval hole mandolins to be had.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
    I like my Pomeroy A2
    Funny. When I was looking for an oval hole a couple of months ago, I put an ad up on the Classifieds looking for a Pomeroy oval. We have one of his F-5's in the house and it is a wonderful mandolin. Not many replies came in, but I was offered a Kimble A-0. I had to pass on it originally, but I moved a few things around and a few weeks later we were working out a deal. I would love to try out one of Don's ovals, but there aren't that (m)any in my neck of the woods. I'd love to see pictures!
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

I love my Weber Vintage A which is an oval. It's one of the old-wood builds they were making until they ran out of that supply. Sound, fit/finish and playability are all top-notch. The neck shape is nice and comfortable, too, at least to my hands. I really doubt I will ever part with it.

I love my Brentrup A4C but I have also been impressed with a few other ovals, notably the Old Wave, Gilchrist and Kimbles I have played.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I will also vouch for Old Wave ovals. I've played Weber and Collings which have more of a hybrid sound and I prefer the roundness of the Old Wave. I bought an a C# model in the classifieds last year and I never get tired of playing it. It has very sweet bell-like highs and nice tubby lows. I play it in a Swing Jazz band and it is perfect for that sound as well as old time, Celtic and Blues. It doesn't cut in a loud bluegrass jam like my f-hole mando, but for everything else I prefer it. There is a nice model for sale right now at Bernuzio Uptown Music.

http://bernunzio.com/product/old-wave-oval-19564/

Blog Entries

I think uptown music is probably too far from the badger to be practical.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

thread tie in.. I'm supposing he is on your, GMT, side of the Pond..

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...mandolin-model

You should converse.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Check out Graham McDonald's oval holes. I won a two pointer of his a few years ago and it is a fine instrument. Peter Sawchyn makes killer oval holes too.
    Last edited by Joe Mendel; Dec-16-2014 at 7:38pm. Reason: spelling