Thread: The Beatles for the mandolin

Default The Beatles for the mandolin

Since I've only been playing the mandolin for about three months now. And this is the first instrument I've tried playing in all my 36 years on this rock. I am, by no means a professional or one who would be a very good critic on how it "should" have been done. For me anyhow, it has been very fun. Reading the notes on the staff is still a challenge but I am glad there is tablature just in case I'm having trouble. The only thing this book is missing is the harpsichord solo ( I've since learned that it's actually a piano being played, only sped up) from the song, In my life. Otherwise after three months of music theory, practising scales, chords, and fiddle tunes it's really great having this around to keep playing fresh if you will. Hal·Leonard company if you can hear me please release a Led Zeppelin for the mandolin and if you feel like throwing in a Northfield Model-M for me to play it on that would be very much appreciated!

Default Re: The Beatles for the mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewsaga View Post
    The only thing this book is missing is the harpsichord solo ( I've since learned that it's actually a piano being played, only sped up) from the song, In my life.
    I've read the same thing; George Martin played/recorded that solo at half speed on piano and then doubled the speed for the final mix giving it a harpsichord-like sound an octave higher. That's a wonderful solo and it lays out nicely on mandolin in the key of D. I learned it from the big white "Complete Beatles" transcription book (iirc).

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

That's awesome! Thanks for the help I'll keep an eye out for that. I'm sure it's available on amazon.

As a side note that has nothing to do with your thread----------I saw the Beatles in concert in 1966 !

5. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    I saw the Beatles in concert in 1966 !
    You must be really old....

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

ps Harry Truman was president when I was born

7. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by lenf12 View Post
    You must be really old....

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

ps Harry Truman was president when I was born
    Harry Truman ? Well, I have a true Truman story that I just know you want to hear ! I was born in 1947 and my mother took me on a train to Independence, Mo to visit her aunt Rose who just happened to be a neighbor of the Truman's. Harry, being President, was in Wash D.C but Rose spent more time at her home instead of the White House so Aunt Rose took my mother and me over to the Truman's home and Bess Truman held me as a baby ! I think I remember Bess whispering in my ear that someday you will grow up and play the mandolin !

That's awesome! Thanks for the help I'll keep an eye out for that. I'm sure it's available on amazon.
    Here it is at "only" $85.00....

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/...5JEaAtpg8P8HAQ

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Here it is at "only" $85.00....

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/...5JEaAtpg8P8HAQ

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    whoa!? Only 85? Man I should have picked a cheaper addiction! But I when I heard that sweet melody it was like that scene in The Jerk with Steve Martin. "This music speaks to me!"

whoa!? Only 85? Man I should have picked a cheaper addiction! But I when I heard that sweet melody it was like that scene in The Jerk with Steve Martin. "This music speaks to me!"
    It is an expensive book (and addiction) but it's got everything in it, including that piano solo. If you need to learn something from a Beatles tune, that's pretty much the authoritative source to learn it from. Their music speaks to me as well. BTW yankees1, I am only 4 years younger than you so I'm really old too.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

12. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

Blog Entries

There's also The Beatles for Mandolins book, it's great. Has standard notations & tabs. I bought that book before I bought my mandolin.
    I think, therefore, I pick.

14. The following members say thank you to Richard J for this post:

I'll have to check it out. I see that it's only $15.00.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Worth every penny!!! I've gone through many Beatles song books and they all fell short, but "The Beatles - Complete Scores" is the real deal. Been using it for years now. Everything is in the right key so you can play along with the recordings. It's got the right chord voicings. Every part is laid out in detail so you can see how all the pieces of the jigsaw puzzle fit together. It's got guitar tabs too...but not transcriptions of guitar solos.

The only downside is that with so much packed into the score, you'll need to do ALOT of page turning and the book is heavy and 3-inches thick so it doesn't exactly fit on a small music stand. However, it is hardbound so it does lie flat. The font is also small, get your progressive lenses out! You'll want to make copies/scans of you favorite songs, enlarge pages to 8.5x11 and print them out and tape them together for performances.

17. The following members say thank you to jmp for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Google it. I'm seeing it in several places for $50-55, including amazon and eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    I saw the Beatles in concert in 1966 !
    Never saw them, but I saw The Byrds in 1965. So, yeah, I'm old.

I was born during the Truman administration, too, by just a few months. Sometime in my tweens I read up on him and he was my hero for a while. I sent him a birthday card one year, and got a very nice letter in return. Probably standard issue, Typed by his secretary, but signed by him. It's somewhere ...

Of course, he spent a lot of time down here. The Little White House has been restored and turned into a museum. It's pretty nice, as these things go. Rt. 1 through the downtown area is named Truman Avenue (it's Roosevelt Boulevard beyond the historic district), and Margaret Street intersects it. Yes, yes, and there's a laundry so-named on the corner.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Margaret-Truman.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	127599
    Last edited by journeybear; Dec-13-2014 at 3:06pm. Reason: the oopsies stop here
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

19. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Listing via Bookfinder. I just ordered for ~$45 including tax; the seller appears to have more copies at this price. Described as "Used, like new."

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch.de...id=5Nv03vHgBCI

21. The following members say thank you to issuenumber1 for this post:

Ok, the saying "you're only as old as you feel" is sooooooo much truer than most people think. I ride in a bike club (as in pedal pusher road bikes) where some of the members are 80 years old, and although they don't ride as fast as me, they can ride further and longer than me and when I am huffing and puffing and taking a break, they pass me by with a wink in their eye and possibly even a tiny little smirk.

I think I'll go with the amazon because it's prime eligible. So free shipping. But I didn't know about bookfinder so that's a nice resource for future reference.

If you are just looking for a beatles like sound without getting hung up on the exact notes - generally the Beatles Fakebook is pretty good. There are missing parts here and there, but the chords and melody lines can point you in the right direction and listening to the source (i.e. recordings) can show you what's missing (and provide a good ear training opp).

The cool thing about a lot of Beatles music is the melodies often line up exactly in the chords so playing a chord melody piece is easier than with many other groups IMO at least. Below are some of my favorite Beatles tunes for mandolin:

+ Here comes the sun
    + Eleanor Rigby (either in Em as the recording or Dm as Wes Montgomery did it)
    + Norwegian Wood
    + I've just seen a Face
    + In my life
    + Rocky Raccoon (mostly because the chords are really easy and it can be funked up nicely)
    + Michelle
    + All you need is love

I might have some mandolin transcriptions of these tunes if you want.

It is an expensive book (and addiction) but it's got everything in it, including that piano solo. If you need to learn something from a Beatles tune, that's pretty much the authoritative source to learn it from. Their music speaks to me as well. BTW yankees1, I am only 4 years younger than you so I'm really old too.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmp View Post
    Worth every penny!!! I've gone through many Beatles song books and they all fell short, but "The Beatles - Complete Scores" is the real deal. Been using it for years now. Everything is in the right key so you can play along with the recordings. It's got the right chord voicings. Every part is laid out in detail so you can see how all the pieces of the jigsaw puzzle fit together. It's got guitar tabs too...but not transcriptions of guitar solos.

The only downside is that with so much packed into the score, you'll need to do ALOT of page turning and the book is heavy and 3-inches thick so it doesn't exactly fit on a small music stand.
    I second all of the above, the book is well done with minimal inaccuracies. Most parts you can read along with the recordings. Not all the orchestral parts are there, obviously, but enough of the string and brass parts are there that even a keyboard player can have a lot of fun.

26. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Paul

Weber Custom Vintage A
    Alvarez A-100
    '82 Fender Bullet (USA)
    '55 Harmony Master Model
    '62 Harmony Tenor Guitar

28. The following members say thank you to Paul Merlo for this post:

One of the best things to start with is just playing the correct chords to the songs. The melody for most of the tunes are typically right there for you. This works for any tune - but the Beatles are one of those groups where most of the tune happens within the chord tones. Here's what I'd do:

Start with playing the chords as written including embellishments and extensions (i.e. play the Amaj7 rather than subbing A, play the Bbm7b5 rather than the Bm etc)
    Then play arpeggios of the chords (in time or not, your call - in time is better but harder).
    Then play the major scale for the piece (or minor if it's a minor tune)
    Then play the melody - ideally, I'd try to pick it out by ear first.

If you do that, you'll not only be able to play the tune well - you'll have some great solo options

I also like changing up the arpeggio to add the 3b and 7b (so it'd be 1 3b 3 5 7b) - it really helps during solos to have those notes under your fingers.

30. The following members say thank you to mbruno for this post:

Wow thanks for all the feedback! I'm definitely going to get the big white "complete Beatles" transcription. Off topic but has anyone used the Mandolin pickers Facebook?
    Last edited by brandnewsaga; Dec-18-2014 at 12:09am. Reason: typo

I got the Beatles Complete Scores last Christmas - I forget how much it costs. The print is kinda small but it's got everything in it. Each score includes guitar, piano, bass, drums.

Yet one more vote for the Complete Scores when you really want to dig into the details, but for everyday quick reference or a group singalong and whatnot, I really like the Beatles Complete Chord Songbook.

Name:	Beatles.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	127818

It's nicely laid out with the correct chords in the original keys (unlike many of the earlier piano transcription books), and the type is big enough to read while the paperback book itself is small enough to manage--almost all of the songs are one or two pages. Here's an example:

Name:	Hard Day's Night.png 
Views:	164 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	127819

No melody, hook, or solo transcriptions/notation/tab, but I can usually dig those out of deep memory once the song is rolling--or go to the big bible when needed.

Check your local music/book store first, but Amazon has it, too, of course.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

34. The following members say thank you to Paul Kotapish for this post:

I also have The Beatles for Mandolin which is a blast...

36. The following members say thank you to Eddie Sheehy for this post: