Thread: NTM '83 Flatiron 1N

Blog Entries

Default NTM '83 Flatiron 1N

Am enjoying a new-to-me '83 Flatiron 1N this week.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141209_044953.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	192.1 KB 
ID:	127526

Thanks Franc Homier Lieu!

Cheers,
    Coop
    1983 Flatiron 1N - Pancake/Army-Navy
    2011 Eastman MD-315 - F-style
    Rover RM-50B - A-style

2014 Satin Cherry, Gibson USA 120th Anniversary SGJ14
    Godin Guitars' Art & Lutherie "Spruce" 6-string dreadnought. Hand made in Canada.

Default Re: NTM '83 Flatiron 1N

Sweet. Have you seen this epic thread?

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

I'd be curious to learn what kind of armrest that you have on there. I bought a McClung pancake style but couldn't get it to fit on my 1N, ended up installing it on a Mid-Missouri that has since moved on to greener pastures.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Blog Entries

Hi Pheffernan, What is the best tool used to tighten the McClung on the mandolin? They are a very nice armrest and I want to make it snugger. There must be a trick to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    I'd be curious to learn what kind of armrest that you have on there. I bought a McClung pancake style but couldn't get it to fit on my 1N, ended up installing it on a Mid-Missouri that has since moved on to greener pastures.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    Hi Pheffernan, What is the best tool used to tighten the McClung on the mandolin? They are a very nice armrest and I want to make it snugger. There must be a trick to this.
    Doug Edwards includes a small, cylindrical piece of wood with a piece of wire extending from it. When I send one to a friend, I hide one in an egg carton which is functioning as part of the shipping materials. If it has disappeared, conceivably a needle or small kitchen skewer could be used to rotate the holes in a clockwise direction until the armrest sits snugly on the edge.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

6. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

That is a McClung that I bought for a Kentucky KM-172 I owned briefly. It did not fit the 172 but did fit the 1N.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Franc Homier Lieu For This Useful Post:

I just received a 1/2 OTP (over tail piece) from Doug that he made for my 1N. He asked for a photo to make sure that he knew what it was going on. It seems to fit ok.

Coop, enjoy your new 1N. They sure are fun to have around.

Note: The photo was oriented correctly in my iPad. What did I miss that caused it to take a quarter turn?

Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	127527  
    "I yam what I yam"

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biologyprof For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

The armrest would seem to me to be made for the 1N shape-wise. However, and I don't know, it might be tightened as far as it will go.

I slipped it off easily enough (it's snug but not loose nor does it have a death grip on the mandolin) and the sleeves don't turn by hand, so I assume they're at the end of the threads.
    Rover RM-50B - A-style

Godin Guitars' Art & Lutherie "Spruce" 6-string dreadnought. Hand made in Canada.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Franc Homier Lieu View Post
    That is a McClung that I bought for a Kentucky KM-172 I owned briefly. It did not fit the 172 but did fit the 1N.
    I had brought home two different new KM-172 from the Folklore Ctr a couple or few years ago. Was not at all impressed with them. I brought the first one back due to blemishes or lifting finish and a knot in the top plate that were not visible in the light at the shop and I brought the second one back for for similar problems with the finish.
    Rover RM-50B - A-style

Quote Originally Posted by theCOOP View Post
    I had brought home two different new KM-172 from the Folklore Ctr a couple or few years ago. Was not at all impressed with them. I brought the first one back due to blemishes or lifting finish and a knot in the top plate that were not visible in the light at the shop and I brought the second one back for for similar problems with the finish.
    Yeah, I gave it a try but while the playability and fit and finish were good, the tone never did it for me. Anyway, I will find one of those little McClung tools and drop it in the mail to you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Franc Homier Lieu View Post
    Yeah, I gave it a try but while the playability and fit and finish were good, the tone never did it for me. Anyway, I will find one of those little McClung tools and drop it in the mail to you.
    Yeah, I didn't like the tone. To me it just sounded like I was playing a 2x4, like the top plate was too thick or something. Maybe they weren't set up properly, I dunno. I didn't want to mess around with them any given the problems with the finish.

If memory serves me correctly, they came to over $400 with the tax and this included just the mandolin and the cardboard box they shipped in. When I mentioned the blemishes and/or problems with the finish, the owner said "this is to be expected with these cheap import (something or others)".
    Rover RM-50B - A-style

Blog Entries

Doug Edwards includes a small, cylindrical piece of wood with a piece of wire extending from it. When I send one to a friend, I hide one in an egg carton which is functioning as part of the shipping materials. If it has disappeared, conceivably a needle or small kitchen skewer could be used to rotate the holes in a clockwise direction until the armrest sits snugly on the edge.
    Pheffernan, I just happen to have something exactly like that tool you described! I found it, though initially I didn't recognize its purpose. Thanks and my Mid-Mo thanks you!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

16. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

often a paper clip works on these armrest screws.

nice pancake!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Blog Entries

been having trouble getting the A strings tuned in unison - it always seems to be the A strings. I think I read something about this once, other people mentioning A strings going out of tune more easily or general problems with A strings (not specifically on Flatirons)?

Anyway, I went around the mandolin with a phillips screwdriver and all the mounting screws and machine screws took the tiniest bit of a gentle turn without overdoing it. It sounded quite a bit better and a little buzzing I was experiencing went away as well. Not quite perfect so I loosened the strings and got the pencil-graphite in the nut slots. The slots were pretty rough feeling against the pencil but smoothed right out.

Both A strings tuned up to pitch nice and smooth and are in unison. So I think I'm all good

Favorite trick so far is the pencil-graphite-in-the-nut-slot trick
    Rover RM-50B - A-style