Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: D'Addario EXP74CM "Chris Thile Gauges" Now Available

Default Re: D'Addario EXP74CM "Chris Thile Gauges" Now Available

Quote Originally Posted by shane8002 View Post
    I can notice a diffrence, mostly in the tension on this set.
    Thanks for the feedback, Shane. Can I ask you,
    1. What strings are you replacing prior to these (IE. are you going up or coming down in tension), and
    2. How old/played were they at the time of the change?

Roland White mentioned in a seminar a few years back that he used the 75/74 combination being discussed. I like the combination, but it works a lot better for Roland than it does for me. Looking forward to trying the coated set.

Quote Originally Posted by mandopixie View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, Shane. Can I ask you,
    1. What strings are you replacing prior to these (IE. are you going up or coming down in tension), and
    2. How old/played were they at the time of the change?
    I came down from the j75 and I change strings every week since I gig a lot .

4. The following members say thank you to shane8002 for this post:

Default Re: Video: "Chris Thile Gauge" G Strings On The J75 Set

Consumer demand was the reason we created this set. The only way to get those gauges previously was to buy a set of EXP74 and a set of EXP75 and combine them, or try to find a store that carried EXP singles, or order the singles online. None of those options are optimal or readily available to everyone. If these are your preferred gauges, or you are just curious to try them out, you can now buy them in a single set. It's really no more devious than that...

Quote Originally Posted by mandopixie View Post
    Yeah..no, I'm still none the wiser for having watched this CT on D'Addario strings video. The reasoning behind creating (essentially) a whole new version of J75 with a .040" G escapes me - unless it's a marketing thing. "Chris Thile Picks This Set", like when Grisman's name was on the *J74 set. If my memory serves me correctly, I started using J74 just before that, and there was a change at that time, upping the G from a 'puny' .039"! *I could be wrong. I tried a lot of string sets in the '80s and early nineties.
    Maybe someone at D'Addario could shed some light.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tom Spaulding For This Useful Post:

Look at you selling out and caving in just to give the consumer what they want. Whats the world coming to ?

(can't wait to try them)
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Astro For This Useful Post:

I have had these on my J bouvier F5 Special for about a week, and they are pretty great.
    I hated coated strings in the past, but these don't feel like they are coated to me.
    I have no issue with the coating.

The tone on the E and A are significantly cleaner with the slightly heavier gauge.
    They are really bell like in tone.
    Also I like the firmer feel of the E and A as you can dig in hard without pulling them out of tune.

At first the tension difference between the top and bottom courses of strings was odd, but now it feels normal.
    You can really chop at these things are they shoot the sound out.

It does make my mandolin more clear but there is a bit less "atmosphere" in the sound of the E and A.
    I know that is a vague term, but with the J74s there was a little more reverb openness in the tone of the E and A.
    My mandolin sounds tighter and you really have to play accurately as the clarity of the strings really points out flubs.
    Maybe it just needs more breaking in.

The good thing if you play bluegrass is that it made my mandolin sound more "dry and woody".
    It is very Thile-esque in the clean "Pop" in the attack.
    It takes getting used to, but I think the heavier gauges are overall a good thing for me.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CWRoyds For This Useful Post:

Just got my set yesterday. First of all, I have only used regular J74s before. This is my first time using "coated" strings and I can't even notice a difference. I can notice a little more tension on the A and E strings and they sound louder with more pop. Overall, very balanced to my ears. I don't see myself going back to regular J74s. But I would like to try some DR mediums.....

12. The following members say thank you to bbaker2050 for this post:

I'm going to have to try some of these. I normally play the "Ricky's" on my bitterroot but I am currently trying a set of Elixers that are the same gauges as the 74s. These are a little too slick for me on the wound strings and actually seem to get sticky/sweaty on the unwound strings faster than the d'addarios. The contrast is a bit annoying and I find myself wiping the A and E strings all the time to get the get the grime off.

Is it worth checking the truss rod or neck relief when coming up (or down) in tension? I used to play the "Ronnie's" J75s on another mandolin of mine (a km 150s) and I believe that they did pull the neck down over time. I guess they added enough volume and tone that I got over it. That mandolin was always a bit tough to play and there may have been other factors contributing to the neck bowing as well.

I tried them on my ellis yesterday. And even used them in a jam. I haven't had the exp75s on this one in awhile, but as far as I remember, the tone is very similar. The major difference is that these strings stayed in tune a lot better. I put them on and took my mandolin to the jam. Normally that would result in a lot of tuning issues, but these were rock solid
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

15. The following members say thank you to LongBlackVeil for this post:

Very happy to see this. I look forward to trying them out. I have long pondered a mixed-and-matched set but got too lazy to go through the trouble.

Love ya, D'Addario.
    Amanda

-2007 Duff F5
    -2001 Stiver F5
    -Blueridge BR-40T Tenor Guitar
    -1923 Bacon Style-C Tenor Banjo

17. The following members say thank you to Amanda Gregg for this post: