Thread: Getting the Most out of a Cheap Mandolin - Help?

Question Getting the Most out of a Cheap Mandolin - Help?

Hello everyone. I have a cheap Mitchell mandolin. It was only about $200-300. I'd love to start implementing it in my recordings by throwing it behind some guitar, bass, keys etc. I'm having a hard time getting a decent sound however. I have an MXL 990 and an EV CO4 (An SM57 clone basically). I unfortunately don't have the capabilities to record using two mics simultaneously due to the limitations of my interface.

I'm really trying to get sounds like these:

Going to California - Led Zeppelin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxm31VqLifg
    Dust on the Ground - Bombay Bicycle Club (Starts at 0:57) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PAUerGY12Y (It's a bit faint)

Obviously, mixing isn't magic, and I know I'm not going to get much from what I have, but could anyone suggest some tips on making the most out of a cheap mandolin and basic recording setup? Perhaps there are some harmonic deficiencies that cheap mandolins suffer from that I can correct, or maybe there's some special mic placement that people tend to use. I notice that different pics have a hugely different sound, as well as how far up you pick that strings at (my mandolin seems to sound best to me when being picked close up to the neck. I don't have much experience with different strings either. Anything really that could help.

Thanks everyone

(If I should move this into another thread, I'll do so immediately)
    Last edited by Hikousen; Dec-06-2014 at 2:43pm. Reason: Wasn't sure if I posted into the appropriate thread

Default Re: Getting the Most out of a Cheap Mandolin - Help?

Bridge makes a difference, and various tweaks, but a low end mando tends to always sound like a low end mando to a degree. The recording I have no idea on.
    Stephen Perry

Blog Entries

The place where you record has a huge influence on results. So does placement of the mic. You can get very acceptable results from an MXL 990, provided both of those variables are OK. The only way to know what works, really, is to experiment a lot. Make a bunch of test recordings with the mic in various positions for starters. Then, try some different locations (depending on how portable your rig is). You can also experiment with changing the properties of your recording space, using simple things like a plywood board on the floor (if carpeted) to increase reflections, or a thick blanket/duvet behind you to decrease them. All of these will drastically change the results. You will eventually find a combination that works for you. No substitute for experimentation and experience. You will learn a lot, and you will discover how to get the best out of any instrument.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

4. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

All of this is true - and then there's what you do with the mandolin track after it's recorded.

If you use a Sm57 type mic on a mandolin, even a fine one, you lose some high end and have a certain sound due to the nature of the mic design. Save it for the snare drum electric guitar amp, etc. As almeriastrings says the MXL should work better.

Then, after you record a clean track with no clipping, you can EQ it, compress it, process it and that will make it sound more like the pro recordings you want to emulate.

"Make a bunch of test recordings with the mic in various positions for starters"

This is a great suggestion, use your ears, find the sweet spot, run a few tests as mentioned, and you'll get a better sound.

"mixing isn't magic" indeed, and you can't fix a bad performance or inferior micing in the mixing and processing. But if you get a good clean track laid down you can improve the track with appropriate, judicious processing and EQ, and believe me Jimmy Page used all the tricks to make the mandolin parts that Jonesy laid down sound even better.

Couple of things I discovered with recording my mandolin . Make sure you are picking where the neck meets the body right behind the last fret . This will help ensure a round full tone. Secondly, position your mic 6-8 inches from the bass f-hole. Lastly, a tube pre-amp and/or some post-compression can really warm and fatten things up. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by roysboy View Post
    Couple of things I discovered with recording my mandolin . Make sure you are picking where the neck meets the body right behind the last fret . This will help ensure a round full tone. Secondly, position your mic 6-8 inches from the bass f-hole. Lastly, a tube pre-amp and/or some post-compression can really warm and fatten things up. Good luck
    Good ideas - and I often use a tape saturation plug-in for that "warming" effect.

There are limits to what you can do, but if you have a DAW that gives you fine multichannel control over EQ, and you take the time to learn how to use it well you can achieve a lot. A good convolution reverb is also a great help.

Great advice above , along with all that I'd experiment with different strings they make a huge difference in your mandolins tone.
    Jim Richmond

I'm so sorry for the late replies to everyone's comments. It's finals week, and I'm a bit irresponsible with my time. Thanks so much, everyone for the help.

I did notice that it sounds better (to me at least) when I pick up near the neck. Otherwise that sound becomes thin and borderline unpleasant. I'm working almost entirely on software plugins but I'll run it through some compression and adjust the parameters to see if I can get something nice. And by the 'bass' f-hole, is that the one nearest the G strings? Thank you.

I definitely want to do that. My strings are still stock, which of course is probably the largest factor in it's current sound. I plan to pick some up around Christmas time. Thanks for the advice

Good advice, thanks. I'll follow your lead and stick with the MXL mic for now. It may not be the best mic but it's certainly capable considering it's price. I'll do what I can with the post processing, and maybe I can get something decent out of it. Thanks!

I don't have convolution reverb unfortunately, just the stock d-verb plugin that comes with Pro Tools. But to me it's good enough so long as it's not being used to drench your channel in reverb. Thanks!

You can spend a ton of money on recording equipment that will make anything sound good but you might as well spend that money on a good sounding mandolin instead and then you won`t have to worry about such things as all of those recording tricks...If you are going to record in a studio then let the tech worry about making it sound like a high dollar mandolin with your input of course....I think that every band member should have a say so in the final mix of a recording, after all they know what their instrument wants to sound like.....Good luck, recording is fun but can also drive you looney....

Willie