Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: After a year...

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: After a year...

You didn't say what you ended up with. If it's better than a 1912 A I want to know what it is. Oh, and if that Gibson is just sitting there in the case and needing a little TLC let me know.

Melissa, I just had the brainstorm that there had to be some Café members in Kentucky. Here's a list of those with Kentucky as a location. There are even more using "KY" in that field. Someone is bound to be up for doing some picking or knows about jams.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I'm about 3 years in and still feel like a beginner in many ways. Actually I really feel like I'm entering the intermediate zone, but I can hang much better than before. It is a slow and steady process. I keep saying to myself in a few years I'll be able to...

3. The following members say thank you to Josh Levine for this post:

I'm almost 3 years into mandolin after 50 plus years as a gigging professional guitar player/teacher . I've gotta say that as much as I've enjoyed it thus far , I never expected it to be this difficult to get around the fretboard and get my picking hand working as quickly and smoothly as it needs to be. For the time I've invested , I am really not finding it all that much easier . For me it has been much more difficult than learning to play guitar .

I practice mandolin VERY regularly ...daily, in fact , and often for long periods of time . I gig a bit with it , teach a bit and record a lot . Recently , however , I've all but resigned myself to the fact that perhaps some folks just have a feel for this instrument ....a feel which I don't seem to have . I've lowered my expectations and enjoy it to the extent that I can . Then again....perhaps the three or four mandolins I've used in this time haven't been the right " fit " in terms of my improving ....? Dunno ...

Its all good though . I wouldn't have known this if I hadn't taken up the instrument .

5. The following members say thank you to roysboy for this post:

Hi there. I too am new to all this, and I am also at my one year anniversary and if you'd asked me two months ago I'd have said that I wasn't as far along as expected. But not long ago I got together with some other guys I met through the internet and we are having a go at forming a folk group. Talk about a boost in motivation. I feel like I'm over the 'hump' now where everything is frustrating and I can let loose and have fun. It is interesting reading other people's reflections back on their first year or two.
    Eastman MD-315

7. The following members say thank you to talladam for this post:

I've been playing for about six months, although I've had a mando for over 10 years. I tried to learn by just picking it up originally, like I did the guitar in high school. That didn't work so well. Now I take lessons, and I am seeing much more progress. Although my music teacher has been more focused on music theory, so I know more about things like blues scales, I think we are headed into more focus on mando playing now, which will be great. I bought a Breedlove Premier OF in October and that has really made it easier than my old cheap Seville (No one I know has ever heard of Seville Mandos, I think they must have gone under quickly). Its a great instrument, and I love jamming with a small group locally. It's not always pretty, but no one seems to mind if I miss a note or two.

9. The following members say thank you to Gandalfa for this post:

I've been playing 2 1/2 years but I sound like its been 6 months.

I'm aspiring to be a rank amateur which is code for saying I'd be better if it weren't for a full time job, family, wine, and a whopping dose of lazy.

But I'm having fun and thats what its about now.

Happy to hear you are too so congratulations on your mando annual and keep it up !
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Quote Originally Posted by Nashville View Post
    Congratulations! Happy Anniversary! Guess I've been playing about 9 months now. Though I've cheated on that count a tad bit. Many years ago I bought a cheap no-brand $25 mandolin and learned a few basic chords, but it was a terrible mando. Stopped playing. Then later got another cheapo. Played a little then got rid of it. Then I was given (lucky me!) a 1912 Gibson A with the most beautiful tone, but the neck was not player friendly, least not for me. So it stayed in it's case mostly. Needless to say I didn't learn much. Until last spring and I finally got a good mandolin. What a difference it makes! I haven't been able to put it down since (except when I eat, sleep & work...darn it).
    Great! Funny thing is that after learning with notation I find tab hard. BUT I haven't quite gotten deep into that section of my lesson book.
    Proud owner of a Breedlove Premier Series Limited Edition FF!

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    You didn't say what you ended up with. If it's better than a 1912 A I want to know what it is. Oh, and if that Gibson is just sitting there in the case and needing a little TLC let me know.

Melissa, I just had the brainstorm that there had to be some Café members in Kentucky. Here's a list of those with Kentucky as a location. There are even more using "KY" in that field. Someone is bound to be up for doing some picking or knows about jams.
    I'll check it out when I suck-less Steve. :-) I posted here and on FB about the new mando, but it's a 2012 limited edition Breedlove #4 of 10. Cool thinking only 9 other people on the planet have one. Found it locally at Willcutt Guitar brand new and waiting for me

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalfa View Post
    I've been playing for about six months, although I've had a mando for over 10 years. I tried to learn by just picking it up originally, like I did the guitar in high school. That didn't work so well. Now I take lessons, and I am seeing much more progress. Although my music teacher has been more focused on music theory, so I know more about things like blues scales, I think we are headed into more focus on mando playing now, which will be great. I bought a Breedlove Premier OF in October and that has really made it easier than my old cheap Seville (No one I know has ever heard of Seville Mandos, I think they must have gone under quickly). Its a great instrument, and I love jamming with a small group locally. It's not always pretty, but no one seems to mind if I miss a note or two.
    Enjoy that Breedlove!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CSIMelissa View Post
    I posted here and on FB about the new mando, but it's a 2012 limited edition Breedlove #4 of 10.
    Eh? My question was directed not to you, but to Nashville, who posted the previous post, giving his mandolin history but didn't say what he ended up with. I was addressing two separate issues with one post. You intercepted my pass! Now that old Gibson is just going to sit in its case, neglected, unused, forgotten and forlorn ...

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

15. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

It's been about 2 years now for me, and I am very pleased with my progress. Aside from lessons and daily practice, playing at jam sessions has made a big difference. I'm thankful to have bluegrass, old time and Celtic jams nearby.

Some day I hope to have as nice a mando as yours. Enjoy!
    2008 Big Muddy M-0
    2012 The Loar LM-400 wth CA bridge

"Sing joyfully; make music with the mandolin. Sing a new song; Play skillfully with joy!"
    (Adapted from Psalm 33)

17. The following members say thank you to Gary Flye for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Eh? My question was directed not to you, but to Nashville, who posted the previous post, giving his mandolin history but didn't say what he ended up with. I was addressing two separate issues with one post. You intercepted my pass! Now that old Gibson is just going to sit in its case, neglected, unused, forgotten and forlorn ...
    I'm easily confused sometimes. I used to dye my hair blonde.

Blog Entries

Progress for me never comes regularly. Its long periods of seeming plateau and then all of a sudden something makes sense and I am launched onto a higher plateau, where I stay for another long period. Sometimes I don't even notice the launch, just all of a sudden I look down and say "when did I become able to do that".

The take away is that you are making progress, even when it doesn't seem like it. Its like the progress is a secret your mandolin is keeping from you until all of a sudden its all released in a burst.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CSIMelissa View Post
    I'm easily confused sometimes. I used to dye my hair blonde.
    Well, then, there's one bullet you dodged.

21. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Blog Entries

Hi Melissa, I just stopped by to find out if you eventually took possession of your Breedlove. I remember your anticipation and wanted also to congratulate you for your patience and effort to take that step. I am watching for pictures and wonder if I missed something. I will go to the Breedlove group and see if you posted some there. Best wishes!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Just a bit past a year too. I had hoped to have learned a lot more songs by now, but I have found that the ones I've been playing the longest, I can play the best. Even if I don't play them for a while, when I go back to them, they seem better than before. Like it settles in to the back of my mind over time. So that is encouraging. It is a beautiful instrument, and while I've gone through a plateau or two, which sometimes makes me pick it up a little bit less often for a month or so, I keep coming back to it. Good luck and keep it fun.
    Gibson F4 (1921)
    Eastman MD515 (2013)

Music is definitely a journey. Playing mando or any instrument takes what ever time its going to take for you to get up and play it.
    There is only one rule, have fun on the journey.
    Amateurs practice until they can play it right.
    Professionals practice until they can't play it wrong.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

It's comforting to know when you've got the perfect instrument for yourself, it makes you want to play more. My Breedlove FF is a keeper for sure.

I'm about 25yrs into this journey, and although I feel like I should be further along than I am, I'm glad for those quiet times when I can play my favorite tunes over a cup of coffee in peace - and hopeful for the next time I can find a group of people who can play along and have some fun.

A friend and I were just talking this week - he is a black belt in Karate several times over, and he reminded me - a black belt is not the end of the journey, it is the beginning. A black belt is when you are considered a serious student. I think we all here are striving for the day we get our black belt in Mandolin-arate - but its a journey and there is much much more to come if we stick with it!
    Robert

-2011 Stiver F 322-3-11 (Photos)
    -1990 Kentucky KM-160

i reside in the orlando metro area(Ocoee) to be more specific.

my year anniversary is coming up soon(march) it has been one of trial,error,peaks, and valleys.i have been doing half hour lessons every saturday since october.i was practicing with Rocky Top tabs. it was good but SLOW.i began to look at the chords for the song and started strumming sans pick..."guitar style" and all of a sudden BAM! it was like i was "playing".i shared my "discovery" with my teacher. he was impressed and i had found new motivation.i am presently continuing my tab picking/strumming. am able to play more songs quickly with the chord music.i am not a "trained " muscian...cant read notes,etc.i guess im coming in through the "back door" in my quest to conquer the mandolin...BUT i am having fun and playing!!