Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Northfield Model M

Default Re: Northfield Model M

The imported A master model is fully appointed though, with full ivoroid binding, etc. So it seems like a bare bones domestic model couldn't be a big jump in price.

I really love the look of the master models...so if the master has all the bling and the varnish finish, etc, then I'd be hard pressed to not buy the master for the same price if the sound is similar.
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

My choice this past Fall was to buy the varnished A that was offered or their F2s oval hole. I bought the Northfiled oval hole F that my dealer had which was cheaper and a good compliment to my F5s.

I'll be interested to see the actual pricing scheme and where both the M and the import A that dealers will be selling will fall in their overall pricing structure.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by 9lbShellhamer View Post
    The imported A master model is fully appointed though, with full ivoroid binding, etc. So it seems like a bare bones domestic model couldn't be a big jump in price.

I really love the look of the master models...so if the master has all the bling and the varnish finish, etc, then I'd be hard pressed to not buy the master for the same price if the sound is similar.
    This was my exact reasoning for getting that New-Old-Stock varnished KM900.

Oh it should be here Wednesday of Thursday!
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

The clips on the Northfield page sound wonderful. Very fine-looking instruments, too. It's also great to see another company putting resources into a quality A5. As everyone else says above, the pricing of these is going to be very interesting.

rm

That varnished KM900 is going to be sweet. It's a score to find a varnished model.
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

6. The following members say thank you to 9lbShellhamer for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by 9lbShellhamer View Post
    That varnished KM900 is going to be sweet. It's a score to find a varnished model.
    Yeah I am excited to say the least!

Also very interested in these NF Model M and their price point.
    Waterloo WL-M

Based on the videos posted it has a bright modern sound rather than the richer tone of an Ellis or Pava A5 mandolin. It all depends what one wants from the tone of a mandolin.

I like the fact they have done lots of research and it is made in Michigan USA.

I like also that it goes away from the sunburst style of finishing (to reduce cost). It is more in the style of Peter Coombe's mandolins made here in Australia.

I wish Northfield every success with the new model M.
    Nic Gellie

Mandolin & Mandola maker

Interesting. Sounds quite nice, brighter than mine, but they do use brighter sounding strings. Don't care much for the modern shape, but that is just me. I started that colouring of my maple mandolins probably around 15 years ago, not to save money, but because that is how I like them. It certainly is similar to the Lyon and Healey's. The light top brings out the silking of quarter sawn Spruce, and the back has more of a violin look to it. Gilchrist also uses similar colouring in his Junior models. I was very surprised when I saw his first junior model, we seem to think alike. I just wish I had a microphone like that one in the video, and the mandolin playing skills!
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gellie View Post
    Based on the videos posted it has a bright modern sound rather than the richer tone of an Ellis or Pava A5 mandolin. It all depends what one wants from the tone of a mandolin.
    Very much so. There are distinct "family relationships" between different makers, and even "generational" relationships, i.e. X-braced Gilchrists vs. tone bar models, or Dave Harvey era Ferns vs earlier periods. Certainly so in the case of Ellis/Pava. The Northfields do not sound like any of the above, they seem to have something of their own going on which to my ears is quite distinctive. Lots of volume and "cut", tending toward to the "dry" end of the spectrum. Nicely balanced. I rate them very highly, though there are such a wide range of tonal "families" available these days in high grade mandolins, that you could argue until the cows come home about "best" and "better"! It really is down to personal preference once you get up to a certain level. My view is it makes no difference where something is built. If the skills are there, the materials are good, and the consistency is there, all that really counts is the instrument that emerges at the end. So today, we have a better choice than ever of very fine instruments from the US, Canada, Australia, Europe and China. Take your pick... and be happy there are so many to use it on!
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

Northfield finally got back to me, and this is what they said:

"Hi Thomas,

Thank you for contacting us and showing an interest in our new Model M. We have had an overwhelming response to the launch of this model and appreciate your patience with us getting back to you.

Here are the details that you have requested:

Pricing for the Model M will be $1799 for the instrument only, and $1899 with case.

Because this is our entry level mandolin and we have chosen to standardize this instrument, we are not taking any custom option requests at this time."

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tommcgtx For This Useful Post:

I got their reply also. Very pleasantly surprised by the price point, and am working hard to tell myself that I don't need one.

15. The following members say thank you to Clement Barrera-Ng for this post:

Wow.. Such a great deal!
    Waterloo WL-M

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tommcgtx View Post
    Pricing for the Model M will be $1799 for the instrument only, and $1899 with case.
    Do I win something?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Babasin View Post
    Emory Lester's demo is pretty good as well, with chording and picking. The mandolin has nice sound and projection and looks great also! Wonder about price-point...
    Emory and I have been working on this very song....sounds like he has it....ha!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TYeljEIoxp0
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

19. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

Just curious, has anyone received a Model M yet and what do they think of it?

According to the response I got from Northfield, the first batch of Model M will be completed and ready for shipment around March 2015. I was told that they will accept a $300 refundable deposit to reserve one now.

Wow that's pretty interesting. Can't say I want one much but kudos to northfield for really stepping out there with something different. I would expect this to be a big seller if it's as good as it seems.
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by itstooloudMike View Post
    According to the response I got from Northfield, the first batch of Model M will be completed and ready for shipment around March 2015.
    Did they happen to mention when the first one would turn up used in the classifieds for roughly 70% of the street price?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Anyone know exactly what color of stain they are using on the top? I'm really considering this shade for my next build.