Thread: Tailpiece for Bowlback mandolin

Default Tailpiece for Bowlback mandolin

Hi everyone.

I was searching for tailpieces for a bowlback mandolin, but I can't find sellers or stores where I can buy those parts. I found a seller on ebay that has tailpieces for bowlbacks (like the one in the picture attached). But I'm trying to find other options, and I can't find any. I looked Does anyone know any store or seller that has tailpieces for bowlback mandolins?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tailpiece_bowlback.JPG 
Views:	616 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	127106

Thank you in advance!

Default Re: Tailpiece for Bowlback mandolin

Check out Dave Hynds.

I have already checked his website.
    Although it has a quite a few models, it doesn't have any tailpiece that I like.
    But thank you Jacob for your help. If you remember other sellers or stores, please tell me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ABM.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	127115

ABM Mueller (click on products, then Banjo/Mandolin) makes these.
    AllParts is ABM Mueller US distributor, but doesn't list these in online inventory

Your best bet in replacing bowl back tailpieces is likely eBay where folks often sell tailpieces and tuners from old instruments, I agree that most modern ones don't look quite right. But I think if you follow ebay for a couple of weeks you will find something you like. That is generally how I replace parets on my old mandos, I actually have a couple of non-woirking bowlbacks but I am not interested in selling parts.

Of course DIY fabricating is the Ideal way to get something just like you want.
    have a metals artist make one. if its not your thing..

I know these forums are more about links to sellers of manufactured things ,
    but I though I'd put in .02 for hand made things.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I believe that most regular tailpieces should work on a bowlback. What exactly are you looking for? In addition to the seller you found who I believe is in Canada and the German sites that Jacob mentioned, there is also an eBay seller in Germany called Franks Music, I believe who occasionally sells tailpieces.

BTW I would avoid the Taiwanese sellers. In my experience the tailpieces are not well-constructed.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I had seen the 1410 model in some mandolins and I had found this model quite interesting. But I never found any seller or store that had this model. It is exactly what I was looking for. The only problem is that this model only appears in the catalog of ABM Muller, and not on the products section, as you told me. But I sent an email to ABM Muller to know if they still sell this product.

Thank you for your help Jacob.

I searched on ebay and I found some interesting models, and I consider them as an option if ABM Muller doesn't sell the tailpiece anymore. Another is option is to make my own tailpiece, like mandroid said..

Thank you Bart, Mandroid and Jim for your help.

I am not sure why you say ABM Mueller would not sell it. I found it in Products>Banjo/Mandolin> then clicked on the thumbnail below. You should be able to buy it from them.

BTW are you building a bowlback or just trying to find a TP fort an existing one?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1