Thread: Learning Notation: Joe Carr & Deborah Chen

Default Learning Notation: Joe Carr & Deborah Chen

Hi All,

I have decided to take the plunge and begin learning how to read notation after playing tab for longer than I would like to admit.

Has anyone worked with Joe Carr's "Reading Standard Notion for Mandolin & Fiddle" or Deborah Chen's "Standard Notation for the Tab-Addicted Mandolinist"?

I've heard that both are any good. Has anyone compared the two?

Thanks!

Default Re: Learning Notation: Joe Carr & Deborah Chen

I'm also eagerly looking forward to the replies as this has been on my mind for a while. I'm interested in hearing what people have to say about Deborah Chen's book.
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

I was excited about Chen's book and went into it with absolutely zero knowledge of notation, theory, etc. It was way over my head and I couldn't even get started with it. Sold it off a few days later. That was years ago (and I still cannot read notation). YMMV.

Registered User Mike Steadfast-Ward's Avatar

I started with a simple book meant for children. Simple and took it one stage at a time.
    Not instrument based at all.

"FACE in the space." That'll get ya halfway there. (Unless you're in the bass clef, and what the heck is a mando player doing down there?)

Blog Entries

Get a beginner beginners violin book. I am serious. Do the exercises. Fingering is the same.

What you want is the connection between where the note is on the staff and where your finger goes, the name of the note is nice, but not the first priority. By working the exercises in the beginners book, you work the connection until it sticks.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

+1 on the beginner/children's violin book. Once you get going, this site is good practice (you do need to be able to see the relation between violin fingering tapes and mandolin frets, but that is not too hard to figure out):

http://www.violinflashcards.com

I took a few lessons in classical mandolin (I live in a college town) and it came pretty fast. MMc

I am new to the mandolin and this is actually my first instrument. I originally started with a teacher that was a classical trained musician and then turned to the dark side. We started using The Modern Simplified Guitar Method by John Brown. They are paper back and in a series and best of all they are inexpensive. You need to find the correct mandolin fret position otherwise they are easy and I think good.
    Second is Mandolin For Dummied. I have this but when doing lessons was working with the above book and did not have time to work through both, but look great and gets very good reviews. I just started with a new instructor and we will be using this.
    Third is - http://www.amazon.com/Edlys-Music-Th...+Third+Edition
    I just ordered this book based on a thread here and the other reviews. Have not looked at it yet so can not report.
    Hopefully that gives you a few options.