Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying my first mandolin - Which of these options should I buy?

Default Buying my first mandolin - Which of these options should I buy?

Hello Mandolin Cafe,

Buying my first mandolin, for my guitar and piano playing girlfriend, and want to keep it under $200. Have found a bunch of options via some of the sponsor sites here, as well as Amazon and eBay. Was hoping to get your expert/friendly advice. Here are the options:

- Rover RM-50 (155 Elderly)
    - Gretsch G9300 (199 Elderly)
    - Flinthill FHM-50 (149)
    - Ibanez M510 (130) & M615 (179)
    - Hohner HMA-VSB (169) & HMA-TR (174 w/ case)
    - Washburn M1SDL (149), M1S (179), M1SG (179 w/ case)
    - Mitchell MM100VS (199)
    - Michael Kelly Solid A-Style (199) & Legacy Plus (199)

A good number are from Musician's Friend, and was wondering if they do setup on their mandolins. I know Amazon obviously doesn't, but figured I'd see if you all know if they do.

Taking into account that the Michael Kelly and Mitchell options are likely a little better because of the higher price, if you can let me know your thoughts on the others as well, that'd be awesome, so that I can make the best decision possible.

If anyone happens to know of another option in that range, and have a link, feel free to let me know. Thank you all for your help

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Default Re: Buying my first mandolin - Which of these options should I bu

If you want to spend a little more $250.00 this would be the best to get comes with a setup
    http://elderly.com/new_instruments/n...el--KM150S.htm
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Look to The Mandolin Store - great set-up, honest feedback on the instruments, and tremendous prices.

Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

One of the Rover RM-50 mandolins from Elderly has free shipping, and would come well set up. Go for it. I bought one for my son a couple years ago, and after a good set up it is very playable. This would keep you well under your budget, and leave a little dough for a clip on tuner, or some extra strings, or a copy of Mandolin for Dummies by Don Julin.

The Musicans Friend instruments will not come with a set up. Elderly's will.

The advice above to spend a little more than your limit for a Kentucky KM 150 from Elderly is good, but even better is to take advantage of Elderly's Black Friday sale which goes on until Monday. 269 gets you the KM 150, case, and accessories, even a pretty good lesson book. Everything you need. It's quite a bargain. That Kentucky will beat the pants off the Gretsch, which is solid mahogany but pressed not carved. The KM 150 included in the Elderly Outfit is carved maple and spruce, the best tonal combination for mandolins. And build quality is quite good,mas opposed to the Rover which can be a little rough. Good luck! If you want to get that deal it's only good through Monday. NFI.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Thanks for the info so far everyone. I had checked many of the forum threads before, and saw the recommendations for the Kentucky, but I just can't go over $200, so unfortunately that's outside my price range at the moment. Appreciate your recommendations and thoughts on the other options.

Also, thanks for letting me know Musicians Friend doesn't do setup, had that feeling, but appreciate the confirmation.

I bought a KM150 from Elderly about a week ago for $212.50, setup and delivered. You must have just missed that sale. I know that is over 200, but barely, and would be worth it. You might want to hold out and see if they do it again, either during the holidays or just after.
    -Jim

If you're not in a hurry , you can look for a used mandolin, could get a better mandolin , and it would hold its value if you want to sell it later
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster

Looking to get it for my gf as a christmas present, so can't wait too long. I had been checking most sites recently, so must have just missed the sale on the Kentucky.

I heard back from one of the places I contacted, regarding the Michael Kelly Legacy Plus, and they do set it up, and I believe it is all solid wood and carved, although you guys can clarify that if I am wrong. Thoughts on that as a possibility?

"Ham sandwich!!"

Well, not completely, because Wisey did mention "another option in that range," but I'd think the first thing we should be doing, is evaluating the eight possibilities offered, before we say, "What you really should get is a Kentucky KM-150!"

Of the choices set forth, [1] I'd buy from Elderly rather than from the other sources, because Elderly does shop set-up, and that can cost you $50 or more -- if you don't do it yourself -- if you buy from Musician's Friend or off Amazon. Now, shop set-up is not a complete guarantee, since a beginner may need the action lowered below "standard" until fingers toughen up, but at least the bridge should be in the right place.

[2] Of the choices from Elderly, I'd give the Rover a slight edge; both it and the Gretsch are all-solid woods, pressed top, rosewood fingerboard. The Rover has maple back and sides, the Gretsch mahogany, and while the difference isn't major, maple is the "traditional" wood for flat-back mandolin construction. You'd probably do pretty well with either.

[3] You're saving about $45 by buying the Rover from Elderly, and the difference can go into a decent case or gig bag (no problem buying that from Musician's Friend), plus a tuner, picks, other accessories.

The other suggestions above will, no doubt, get you a better mandolin than the Rover, at a higher price in most cases. But if you want to keep it under $200, and get some other things you'll need -- yeah, you need a case -- I think the Rover's the best choice of the ones you came up with.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

11. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Wisey 

Thanks for your response Allen, definitely helpful insight. Still considering my options, and when looking at the Legacy Plus ad I found, I feel like it is identified incorrectly, and wanted to see if I am correct and what it actually is.

http://www.musicgoround.com/p/160510...herry-sunburst

I feel like it looks like an A-Plus, not a Legacy Plus, but thought you would all know best.

Yeah, the other sellers listing a Legacy Plus show it as an F-model mandolin. I think the MusicGoRound ad is mislabeled.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

Rover RM-50 (155 Elderly) These are quite decent sounding Mandolins and play well, with a good setup. As Mr. Hopkins said this leaves you enough money for a gig bag and a tuner.
    Jim Richmond

15. The following members say thank you to Jim for this post:

Appreciating all the feedback so far everyone. Looks like at the moment, I'll more seriously consider the Rover and also keep an eye out for a used Kentucky.

I stumbled across a used Loar LM 590, and was wondering what you guys thought of that compared to the others. I know it's an F Style, and all the others I listed are A's, but figured I'd get your thoughts on it.

The Loar 590 can be a good one properly set up. It is all solid carved wood. The aesthetics a a bit simple, satin finish and little bling. But the basics of good tone are all there.

The thing about buying anything used is, has it had a proper set up? If the previous owner had it done at some point that probably means the nut and frets are ok. Maybe then all you will need to do is put on fresh strings, tweak the truss rod, and set the bridge height for proper action. A member here named Rob Meldrum has written a free e book on mandolin set up. It will tell you what to check. Used can be a great option because just like cars someone else eats the initial depreciation. But there are things that have to be checked.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

18. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Wisey 

I have a loar 600 love it ,i have played a few 590 and i liked everyone,the only better sounding acoustic mandolin i have is my new J Bovier F5T and my vintare Ibanez almost sounds as good
    Kiso Suzuki V900,

Implied .. to some extent Who you buy from , a store that does setup to every instrument they sell
    before they display it for sale, Ideally going to such a place, and playing several for their sound

will let you compare feel and sound , rather than brand names..

My 1st decent Mandolin was bought seeing a Card with a for sale Note on the student Union in UVT,

I dint go to the school ..I was traveling thru.

The seller & I worked out a deal so I could settle in (to Boston) and make the money to buy it.. in a few Months ..

this was 1972.. way before the Buy it Now! internet.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Rover RM-50 (155 Elderly) These are quite decent sounding Mandolins and play well, with a good setup. As Mr. Hopkins said this leaves you enough money for a gig bag and a tuner.
    I would just like to add, the Rover RM-50 is a solid carved top and back, not pressed. The Gretsch is pressed solid mahogany. I've owned both and both are pretty good for the price, IMO, though the Rover is a bit cheaper. Personally, I preferred the Gretsch Supreme, but mostly for appearance. Sound was comparable and with set-up, both play well.

22. The following members say thank you to Pete Summers for this post:

I keep hearing good things about the Rover. Just don't confuse it with Rogue!

Seconds on the KM-150 recommendation. Secret hint: Go to the Guitar Center site, do a search on "mandolin," and when the mando page comes up you'll see a lot of stuff which you can safely ignore but if you look in the left-hand column there's a list of options. Click "Just Arrived." Occasionally you'll find a good deal on a like-new instrument pop up, sometimes a brand that GC doesn't normally carry. That's how I got my KM-150 for $99. They still make good on their 30-day guarantee, too.

This past weekend I saw a Mid-Mo/Big Muddy M2W on their site for $299 (retails $700+); but someone scooped it up before I could get my itchy MAS-addled fingers on it.

24. The following members say thank you to Petrus for this post:

Wisey 

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Summers View Post
    ..Rover RM-50 is a solid carved top and back, not pressed...
    Right you are, my error. The specs say "hand-carved," which would surprise me, at that price point.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wisey View Post
    Hello Mandolin Cafe,

Buying my first mandolin, for my guitar and piano playing girlfriend, and want to keep it under $200.
    As a general rule, roughly speaking, mandolins are twice as expensive as guitars, for roughly the same build quality. So, to set your expectations right, think of a $100 guitar.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Thanks to this forum we were able to jump on the Kentucky deal this afternoon. Thanks!!! First mandolin for the wife.

I think I've whittled it down to a few contenders, and will try to buy one of them in the next week or so, keeping an eye out for used or seconds that may pop up online somewhere. Below is my remaining options:

- Rover RM-50
    - Michael Kelly Solid A-Style
    - Used Kentucky KM-150
    - Used Loar A/F Style

If anyone sees anything that might be of interest, feel free to shoot me a line, would definitely appreciate it.

There is a loar 520 For $189.00 buy it now on ebay
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Loar-Man...item1e96062660
    Kiso Suzuki V900,

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    I keep hearing good things about the Rover. Just don't confuse it with Rogue!
    Hah! I had shunned Rovers for a long time because I mixed them up with Rogues. Then tried a Rover for the first time last week and was pleasantly surprised. +1 vote for the Rover or Kentucky.
    I've lost my sheep