Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gibson as a workplace

Default Gibson as a workplace

Saw this on another forum and thought it might have some discussion relevance here.

http://gawker.com/gibson-guitar-ceo-...-da-1661598680
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

Default Re: Gibson as a workplace

Oh come on... You can't blame him. After all, Thanksgiving and Christmas and the like are all just a bunch of humbug. Employees asking for a bit more coal for warmth or a day off to spend time with family? Also humbug. Maybe he'll be visited by the Ghost of Gibson Past and Orville will teach him a thing or two about love and compassion and those neat Style U harp guitars that nobody makes anymore for some reason.

--Tom

...not even gonna cook it...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	popcorn.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	126718

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spruce For This Useful Post:

Lockdown coming in 3...2...1....

Before that happens I just had to say I haven't laughed so hard in a long time!
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Blog Entries

Hey if you have electricity over thanksgiving you know someone is working.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

ill give my 2 cents as an employment lawyer , for over 20 years. I am the guy that often helps companies write their handbooks and policies. I have done this a lot. Really a lot.

While I did not buy Henry's 'stuff' regarding the raid and the illegal wood. I have dealt with raids by the feds, and he carried not one jot of cred with me in that situation.

But this time, I think Henry's right. And the link is ....biased.

It is typical for companies not to allow folks to be 'sick' or otherwise bow out for a day or so around paid holiday, ie an excuse to stretch the weekend holiday.
    Simply, the company has created conditions that it requires for a paid holiday-(which is not required by law btw). You meet them or you don't qualify. That usually means working the scheduled work days before and after.

More so, for a manager, as one who sets an example for the rank and file-and do remember, Gibson is a factory, not a shop full of Keebler elves making goodies. If everyone 'took off' the Friday after T -Day, well you can imagine how that might really slow down a factory operation.

Might not sound 'fair' but its extremely common. The overall 'philosophy' is equal application of the workplace rules. That includes disgruntled managers. Gruntled managers, not so much. LOL

8. The following members say thank you to stevedenver for this post:

Luckily, the CEO, management team and craftsman at my company always seem to agree on when we work and when we take time off. Nice to be past "Corporate Wars".

With 20/20 hindsight, this seems about right --

Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

10. The following members say thank you to Steve Sorensen for this post:

timv 

I don't think the problem has reached the mandolin division and David Harvey because such beautiful instruments could not have been built by oppressed craftsmen and women.

So, hands up everyone whose boss is not a psychopath? Mine is, and I work for myself.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to OldSausage For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hudmister View Post
    I don't think the problem has reached the mandolin division and David Harvey because such beautiful instruments could not have been built by oppressed craftsmen and women.

Name:	080328104302-large.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	126720

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SincereCorgi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    So, hands up everyone whose boss is not a psychopath? Mine is, and I work for myself.
    I too work for myself.
    It is enough, at times, to make one psycho...............
    problem with business, is...clients and customers. LOL

Blog Entries

Dave Carey said there is a support group for people that don't like their job. They meet every Friday at the corner bar.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by Hudmister View Post
    ...such beautiful instruments could not have been built by oppressed craftsmen and women.
    You betcha!

Name:  untitled.png
Views: 1019
Size:  49.2 KB

*Oh, s-corgi already did-

Quote Originally Posted by SincereCorgi View Post

Name:	080328104302-large.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	126720

--Tom

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom Coletti For This Useful Post:

It's well I known that Henry is the largest single problem at Gibson.

Looking at the expression on the CEO's face,i get the impression that the article is a joke - at least i hope it is !!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Looking at the expression on the CEO's face,i get the impression that the article is a joke - at least i hope it is !!,
    Ivan
    No, it isn't a joke.

What struck me most about the complainers was that most complainers had no clue as to proper English usage and peppered their comments with language which did damage to their claims.

There is such a thing as an awful boss. But when the complaints suggest that they have a language problem (or a class problem) then the complaints carry much less weight. The moral is: If you are going to complain about your boss make sure you can at least speak or write proper English.

Quote Originally Posted by bart mcneil View Post
    What struck me most about the complainers was that most complainers had no clue as to proper English usage and peppered their comments with language which did damage to their claims.

There is such a thing as an awful boss. But when the complaints suggest that they have a language problem (or a class problem) then the complaints carry much less weight. The moral is: If you are going to complain about your boss make sure you can at least speak or write proper English.
    I'll bet you could get a management job at Gibson. Just don't call in sick the Wednesday before thanksgiving.

I don't think the grammar of the rank and file augments or diminishes any claims.

BTW, I read nothing in the article or the CEO's email or his response that supports a claim that Gibson is a bad place to work. May or may not be true but nothing was revealed here except an exec being called out for trying to skip out of working when everyone else had to. Then the exec copied a private email to others trying further to stir the pot. If I were CEO, I would have given that guy permanent time off.

And if I were editor of that cheezy magazine, that article would never have been published. No wonder Rolling Stone wouldn't touch it. To take that letter as the only evidence and then run with a headline implying Gibson is a bad place to work is tabloid-esque sensationalism.

Looking at Indeed.com, Gibson currently has 60 job openings. Many of the reviews posted are not complimentary for what that is worth. Management jobs do seem to have a high turn over if you can believe the reviews posted. Doesn't surprise me that its been tough there working through the recession and all American factories competing globally with huge factories in China, SE Asia, and Mexico.
    http://www.indeed.com/cmp/Gibson-Guitar/reviews

On the bright side, American factory jobs in Breweries and Liqueur seem to rate highly as good places to work. Hmmmmm......
    Last edited by Astro; Nov-23-2014 at 10:29am.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post

And if I were editor of that cheezy magazine, that article would never have been published. No wonder Rolling Stone wouldn't touch it. To take that letter as the only evidence and then run with a headline implying Gibson is a bad place to work is tabloid-esque sensationalism.
    That's what Gawker does. It is, after all, called Gawker. Their strapline is "Today's gossip is tomorrow's news", in case there was any doubt.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldSausage For This Useful Post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Right. Exactly what I was thinking - consider the source. In my (admittedly limited) experience, gawker.com is a gossip site. I have a friend who sends me stuff from it now and then, usually of an elbow-in-the-ribs, check-this-out, Beavis-and-Butthead nature, the soundtrack for which is "heh-heh-heh, you said _____ ." So anything I see from this site is bound to be colored by this impression.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

While I am no fan of Henry's management style I think we don't have the whole story, and the fact that the person felt the need to share this with the whole world makes me wonder. First of all, I get the feeling that this person, who is being chastised, is a member of management who is supposed to be upholding the rules, not breaking them. As Steve says, if the rules are outlined and everyone knows them, no one, especially a manager, should be making an end run around them.

Actually sharing internal communications will generally get you fired.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

30. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

What ever else may go on at Gibson, days off at Holiday time usually need to be requested far in advance and people, leaders or not, can't just take off whenever they want. Have to to follow policy too.
    Jim Richmond

And this all has what to do with the price of tea in China?
    Corporate politics are an evil unto themselves and need not be poked like a a sleeping dog or bear.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

well, since the OP asked for discussion,
    and Gibson has favored nation status round these parts, with most,

discussion IS relevant, don't you think?