Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Humidipak - WARNING

Default Re: Humidipak - WARNING

So sorry to see this! Yet, also glad D'Addario is quick to serve their customers.
    I've been using Humidipaks for years in both guitar and mandolin cases. Haven't had any issues so far.
    Wishing you the best.
    Kimble #220
    R. Taylor Style 2 Sinker Redwood/Madagascar Rosewood

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Doland View Post
    I can't believe those things are still on the market. I had a Larrivee guitar that was ruined by those humidipaks a number of years ago. D'Addario made good on it (and paid for me to replace the instrument), but you would think they would have totally pulled the product by now.
    Wow, surprised to hear they replaced the instrument! Didn't think their liability would go that far. They must sell enough of these things to pay the occasional claim and still come out ahead.....

Let me weigh my options........greasy, stained wood or cracked wood? Or just take a chance and do nothing like they did in the old days......

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Just an additional thought. I've used Humidipaks for a while with good results.

I never put the packs inside the instrument and I always position the pack such that with the mando case in its usual storage position, any leakage will run AWAY from the instrument.
    May be hard to do in some cases, but always worked for me.
    But still, I've never actually had any leakage.

Just a thought for consideration.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Shredded Cheese Authority Emmett Marshall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Wow, surprised to hear they replaced the instrument! Didn't think their liability would go that far. They must sell enough of these things to pay the occasional claim and still come out ahead.....

Let me weigh my options........greasy, stained wood or cracked wood? Or just take a chance and do nothing like they did in the old days......
    I'm not a lawyer, but if the proper/intended use of someone's product ruined my instrument for good, I'd think it would be very reasonable to expect them to replace my instrument. I've been using the humid packs for several years without incident, and I'm pretty careful about it. I would never travel with them though because I think changes in altitude or pressure, or knocking them around, is just asking for trouble.
    Weber F5 Bitteroot Octave - "...romantic and very complicated."
    My instruments professionally maintained by...RSW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UmUX68KtE

Just an average guy who likes stringed instruments, but I keep seeing and hearing all these red flags -- yet, people seem fine with using the product, knowing the risk..........................I'm a little confused to say the least.

Reminds me of the various prescription ads on tv, where they list the disclaimer/side effects at the end of the commercial, some sound quite deadly to me, yet people seem to require the supposed benefit in spite of the warning............

My dad died of skin cancer 8 years ago, yet my sister is addicted to going to the tanning booth. I personally don't think it even looks good, but that's another story. I asked her what's up with the tanning booth thing, she confessed, "ya get a buzz from it!"
    Didn't know that.........................

Anyway, sorry to get off topic. I guess a ruined guitar is not as bad as skin cancer, but why ask for trouble?

Shredded Cheese Authority Emmett Marshall's Avatar

Just an average guy who likes stringed instruments, but I keep seeing and hearing all these red flags -- yet, people seem fine with using the product, knowing the risk..........................I'm a little confused to say the least.
    I'd wager that the percentage of people having issues with this product is quite minuscule. More often than not, for every one person who comes online and reports a negative experience, there are thousands more who have not had that experience. In the light of that, my experience has been positive and I expect that it will continue to be. I do believe that it is possible to take a product like this and easily increase the likelihood of having problems. Whoever manufactures this product would have probably discontinued it by now if they had to continually eat the cost of numerous, expensive musical instruments and humidors full of expensive cigars.
    Weber F5 Bitteroot Octave - "...romantic and very complicated."
    My instruments professionally maintained by...RSW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UmUX68KtE

Anyway, sorry to get off topic. I guess a ruined guitar is not as bad as skin cancer, but why ask for trouble?
    Do you REALLY think that if I had seen or heard about issues of leakage prior to this experience I would have used them in my 20+ yr old Martin?
    David Mehaffey
    -------------------------------
    ...I wonder how the old folks are at home...

8. The following members say thank you to David M. for this post:

Has anyone had issues with dampit?
    Amateurs practice until they can play it right.
    Professionals practice until they can't play it wrong.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

Quote Originally Posted by David M. View Post
    Do you REALLY think that if I had seen or heard about issues of leakage prior to this experience I would have used them in my 20+ yr old Martin?
    Exactly my point. Reminds me of these late-night lawyer commercials about class action lawsuits concerning a variety of products, often weight loss products that messed up peoples' heart valves resulting in death -- I often say, yep, I remember that infomercial, but don't remember the part about it being dangerous......

Another legal question would be where does the liability of a product end if used according to instructions. Or, how about if used incorrectly? Hard to say, IMHO. Should the purchase of a $5 product entitle you to a new guitar, if it leaks? Or simply a $5 refund?

OTOH, a quart of whiskey will kill you if you drink it all down in an hour, but most people know not to do that. A bottle of rubbing compound will ruin your car's paint job if used incorrectly -- but, should they buy you a new car? I personally don't know the answers or the logic involved. Fair is fair, but how do you define fair? This issue has me confused, because if it were my company, after the first guitar refund, I would put an end to it. Unless, like I say, there are selling so much of this stuff, they are still coming out ahead........same strategy used by the big car companies, etc.....

Exactly my point. Reminds me of these late-night lawyer commercials about class action lawsuits concerning a variety of products, often weight loss products that messed up peoples' heart valves resulting in death -- I often say, yep, I remember that infomercial, but don't remember the part about it being dangerous......

Another legal question would be where does the liability of a product end if used according to instructions. Or, how about if used incorrectly? Hard to say, IMHO. Should the purchase of a $5 product entitle you to a new guitar, if it leaks? Or simply a $5 refund?

OTOH, a quart of whiskey will kill you if you drink it all down in an hour, but most people know not to do that. A bottle of rubbing compound will ruin your car's paint job if used incorrectly -- but, should they buy you a new car? I personally don't know the answers or the logic involved. Fair is fair, but how do you define fair? This issue has me confused, because if it were my company, after the first guitar refund, I would put an end to it. Unless, like I say, there are selling so much of this stuff, they are still coming out ahead........same strategy used by the big car companies, etc.....
    Well, I imagine there's a liability disclaimer, in the warranty, usually not read or understood by the consumer. Sometimes not valid due to certain laws, such as magnusson moss. But otherwise, if a five dollar product ruins your five k guitar, when used as directed, you bet. Because something is the foreseeable result is why. And of course, what it takes to make the person whole, i.e. A new paint job, not a new car.

As the guy that has written these warranties, I can say simply, they are written to protect the company, while giving a consumer a good feeling. Big difference between limited warranty and unconditional, legally, less so on a fancy printed piece of paper that looks great and offers little. Even martins warranty does not protect against cracking wood under any condition.

Fwiw, I wish daddario had made some effort with me when it's micro tuner dissolved varnish on my brentrup headstock, despite an explicit statement that it was safe for finishes. I posted this long ago when it's new micro tuner was touted on this board.

I just keep one of those silica sachets in my case, they come free with shoes n stuff :D seems to work
    http://pauliewotsit.wordpress.com/ my blog

"No, it's not a Ukulele, it's got twice as many strings and needs four times the talent to play!"

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBills View Post
    I just keep one of those silica sachets in my case, they come free with shoes n stuff :D seems to work
    good god, don't do that! they are designed to remove moisture, you need the opposite.

1935 Gibson A-1 Wide mandolin
    Late 1800's Unbranded German fiddle

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBills View Post
    Maybe Brampton is one of those damp and misty places we see in the old Sherlock Holmes movies.

15. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

I used to maintain numerous case and sound hole humidifiers during the winter. It's tedious and takes too much time. This year I bought an evaporative room humidifier that holds 4 gallons. It keeps the room where I have my guitars and mandolins at a safe humidity level and I only need fill it every few days. It was quite liberating and the instruments are happy.

You know, one of those micro tuners from D'Addario ate the finish on the headstock of a Maingard guitar I had a few years ago. Not safe at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JosephRomano View Post
    I used to maintain numerous case and sound hole humidifiers during the winter. It's tedious and takes too much time. This year I bought an evaporative room humidifier that holds 4 gallons. It keeps the room where I have my guitars and mandolins at a safe humidity level and I only need fill it every few days. It was quite liberating and the instruments are happy.
    Exactly. Manage the environment that the instrument lives in most of the time and you will be OK. Traveling musicians on the other hand, that's another story. For them it would seem an in case humidity management system would be required. Since Humidipak goes "both ways" its an ideal solution as long as it does not leak. My fingers are crossed since I use the Humidipak system in my travel cases.

Quote Originally Posted by lloving View Post
    Since Humidipak goes "both ways" its an ideal solution as long as it does not leak. My fingers are crossed since I use the Humidipak system in my travel cases.
    Hard to argue with such a loyal fanbase.......

Or to rephrase it another way -- tobacco is the greatest, up until you get lung cancer....................or mouth, brain, etc....

Hard to argue with such a loyal fanbase.......

Or to rephrase it another way -- tobacco is the greatest, up until you get lung cancer....................or mouth, brain, etc....
    So.... The Humidipak is going to leak in your opinion. Its inevitable, so to speak, so should be avoided?

I think you should do your own due diligence and decide your own level of comfort. I'm sure the percentages are in your favor that nothing will ever happen, probably about equal to dropping your mandolin accidentally on concrete. I probably obsess too much, but that's what makes it a good hobby, isn't it?

Good call Jeff, it is up to every individual to determine what every individual instrument needs. I use the human comfort theorem, am I comfortable? It's has worked for me for years, the one time I had a problem was when I was out of town and had left my mandolin wit ha friend at his store. The furnace went move and caused a very small crack ( I was really peeved, he never offered to have it repaired!) it has been stable for twenty five years so far and I do look at it from time to time. I get mad and then say, "it was what I thought I needed to do at the time." Anyway, find,your comfort level and accept what happens or, constantly fuss with things.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Blog Entries

I sincerely appreciate the heads up, but have had no problem for several years using these and they last a fairly long time. Good investment to protect a very valuable and precious item.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

I am helping a friend sell a guitar she inherited seven years ago. She did what she THOUGHT was the right thing by putting a gel pack humidifier in the guitar. Now she owns a formerly fabulous 1955 J-185N with a massive problem due to leaking of the gel pack. The chemical leaked through the upper treble bout, entirely permeating the maple side. It has migrated to the top and side, and also into the lining of the original Lifton case. The finish is gone, refinishing will almost certainly be ineffective with the who-knows-what chemical that is now present in the wood, and the side has swollen to the point that the top and back are being forced apart. Needless to say, we are sick about this.

"AS LONG AS IT DOES NOT LEAK" You got that right. (replying to lloving)

I've been using Boveda Humidipaks for years. I also have them in the humidipak saddle bags. Zero problems.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Anything can fail, but like Mike, I have not had issues in normal use. Again, good general advice, it's prudent to check things now and again. From the leaks that I have actually seen, they'd just burst and leak all at once, but they leak over time. In most cases I think you'll be fine if you check them once in a while.

One other point, these need to be in the case, not the instrument. Even though they make pouches to put them inside instruments, I have not found that to be necessary in order to humidify the interior of the case and therefore the instrument. I don't frequently need in-case humidification, but when I do I put Boveda packs or damp sponge in the accessory box of the case.

Here are a couple of graphs from my test.