Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Punch Brothers Album

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New Punch Brothers Album

Going by the 'Tichenor Paradox' this single is due to top the charts in sales http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/en...st-Alex-Trebek

What if we re missing the joke? "I was going to write and arrange another intricate bluegrass/classical/alternative fusion piece, but I blew it off, and here is what I did instead."

Quote Originally Posted by Delaware View Post
    What if we re missing the joke? "I was going to write and arrange another intricate bluegrass/classical/alternative fusion piece, but I blew it off, and here is what I did instead."
    This seems more like reality than Thile going pop -- I mean, isn't that what he didn't like about Nickel Creek, the loss of creative control and the making of music he wasn't passionate about?

Also, the guy just got married to a supermodel actress, some of his best stuff is deep dark and emotional but allowing a little hint of some pop music in isn't necessarily a bad thing. Deceiver was a bit of an albatross, but I really like the direction he took and where he ended up in the end. In this case the chorus isn't exactly what I expected either, but at this point I feel Thile has earned a little creative space and I am content to listen and see what happens.
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

4. The following members say thank you to dang for this post:

I like it. But then I'm not welded to the belief that plinkety-plink mandolin stuck in a 1950s bluegrass groove is the only mandolin music worth listening to.
    Last edited by Ron McMillan; Nov-20-2014 at 11:25am.

Just listening to them now. Definitely poppy, but not really surprised. There's a market for it and it's still well written music albeit not the style I'm really in to. they are playing in my neighborhood soon and I get the album free with the ticket purchase. I think it comes 2 weeks after I buy the tickets.

I did get through the whole song though.

Quote Originally Posted by dang View Post
    This seems more like reality than Thile going pop -- I mean, isn't that what he didn't like about Nickel Creek, the loss of creative control and the making of music he wasn't passionate about?

Also, the guy just got married to a supermodel actress, some of his best stuff is deep dark and emotional but allowing a little hint of some pop music in isn't necessarily a bad thing. Deceiver was a bit of an albatross, but I really like the direction he took and where he ended up in the end. In this case the chorus isn't exactly what I expected either, but at this point I feel Thile has earned a little creative space and I am content to listen and see what happens.
    Exactly. The word that sums it up for me is relaxed. It's a very breezy composition and the more I hear it, the more I keep humming that chorus later. Pikelny used to complain that he didn't have a life because he had to rehearse this outrageously complicated music. So relaxed is good. Maybe the energy is directed to something awesome on he album.
    It has burrowed into my subconscious. Ripped it from Youtube, put it in a playlist with Blind Leading the Blind #4 (my all time favorite Thile composition), New York City, Flippen, and This Is The Song and it fits well and works. Anxious to hear more. Good for CT and the the other PB.

To me it sounds more like a Nickel Creek song than a Punch Brothers one.
    Without music life would be a mistake. ~Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    Well why not?

Tune doesn't bother me....I hear shades of Beach Boys and Paul McCartney in there. Rest assured Da Brother's can tear up the TRAD at a moments notice.
    I also think I may hear a tinge of the Eagles in this one. Not much, but a tad bit here and there.

Actually, I'd really like to hear PB play some early Eagles stuff. Take it Easy, Midnight Flyer & the like.

--Tom