Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strap insights

Default Strap insights

After paying nearly $5000 for my first mandolin I don't want to take a chance on getting it dinged with the wrong kind of strap. Mine is an "F" configuration so the strap fits over the scroll. I'd be very grateful for any ideas/suggestions

Default Re: Strap insights

I have a strap from Lakota Leathers and I really like it. Very soft and they have a bunch to choose from.
    Jacobson #24
    Kentucky KM-620
    Michael Kelly
    Fender
    Gold Tone Banjo

I use a Levy's mandolin strap. Works great and is only $20.00.

10 or more years ago, Brian Aldridge turned me on the the kangaroo straps. Those braided ones with the loop end...
    I have never used another since.

The Long Hollow Softy is very nice, with super-soft all leather construction.
    Blow on, man.

Rather than the I got an [X] brand these things always turn into ..

If the strap has no Metal in it the dinging your mandolin from interaction with the strap wont be an Issue .

Cotton Webbing is Good too * though you see a lot of braided/rope straps , since Bill Had one.
    shoelaces braid nicely if you are willing to put in the effort ..

*I had a crafts person weave a cotton strap on a simple Belt loom , she left a hole in one end ,
    and made a loop in the other , I told her how long i needed it .. it is very Nice.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

7. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Waltham View Post
    10 or more years ago, Brian Aldridge turned me on the the kangaroo straps. Those braided ones with the loop end...
    I have never used another since.
    Ken,
    Where can one get a kangaroo strap? I had a pair of kangaroo football cleats when I was in High School and those were the best pair I ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    Ken,
    Where can one get a kangaroo strap? I had a pair of kangaroo football cleats when I was in High School and those were the best pair I ever had.
    Perhaps our member AlanN.. he used to have them. Carmel Music is another place that has them.
    I have used these on all manner of Loars and Ferns, and they are safe, efficient and comfortable.

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

+1 on the Long Hollow softy. Great strap!
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

+1 for the Kangaroo braided. More expensive than the others, but it is made in Australia. I've tried couple of the above mentioned ones plus others not mentioned and Ken is spot on. The Roos rule!!!

AKA Billgrass

Lynn Dudenbostel's wife makes wonderful straps when she has the time. Worth the wait for her next batch.
    Daily joy - morning noon and night:

The ones at Carmel look like the one I got from a friend
    when he brought a few back from down under a few years ago.

Look no further than Alan Gelman. Strap works of montana! Seriously, these are the finest straps by far. Nfi but I think they look way better than any other option. The loop design and the quality of the strap itself sets them apart

They also have more adjustability than the braided style straps. Cost about 50 bucks but very worth it.
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

Hartz Mountain dog leash, cut the snap off cut a slit in that end, there you go! Or go get a pair of reins at a tack shop sew a loop in one end., slit the other there you have it. It's not so hard.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I made a strap from an old dog leash. Every time I'd pick up my mandolin "Buster" would get real excited. I thought he liked my playing until one day I realized that he thought he was going for a walk.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phil-D For This Useful Post:

Neotech mandolin strap for my Eastman 315 . Lightweight and versatile .
    Guitar straps on my other mandolins cause they all have two strap posts .

You can't go wrong with a Long Hollow Softy or a Lakota.

roos straps .. made by a sheep farmer in australia and sold at carmelmusic.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1182403321_6dd7e43812.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	126361  
    Last edited by mtucker; Nov-14-2014 at 11:01pm. Reason: great photo courtesy of D Greiser

I've had a Long Hollow Softy on my mandolin for a while now and recently ordered a handmade Bailey strap for my OM. I'll be ordering a Bailey strap for my mandolin as the are wonderful. http://www.thebaileystrap.com

Enjoy the journey!
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

I've been making my own straps for many years now. I prefer a flat, braided leather strap with the rough-out side down, so it's not too slippery. The hardest part is finding good thin, strong leather nowadays. I like bison, but cowhide is fine. Once you have the leather, Google "mystery braid." Easy to learn, and you'll end up with a strap that's braided in the middle, but with several inches of flat strap on either end. You can punch the exact size hole you need for your endpin, and use a simple "slit braid" on one end for making a scroll loop. Much easier than it sounds, cheap, free labor, and it'll last just as long as any $50 strap. Nice looking too. As Mike E. often posts on strap threads, an extra tether from the strap around the underside of your tailpiece adds a large amount of security. Frank
    FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by Billgrass View Post
    Lynn Dudenbostel's wife makes wonderful straps when she has the time. Worth the wait for her next batch.
    Lauren Dudenbostel is Lynn's daughter.

I have tried a few.
    - The Long Hollow Softy feels great and is really nice. I tried it for a short time and sold it because I did not trust it. I had the front come undone and I looked at the video and did it exactly as shown. I think you could remedy that easily. But where they punch the holes for the button they make long slits on the bottom side of the hold. It just did not seem secure to me and did pop off more than once.

- I also had a Lakota leathers braided round strap from elk. I really like the round strap as you never had to mess with it to get it to lay right. Felt secure and just had a hole punched for the button. I did have the strap pop off but was better than the softie. The only thing I would be concerned about was the ends of the strap seemed soft and stretched easily. On a heavier F style mandolin I would wonder about the durability?
    - I purchased a mandolin and it came with a strap, I believe it is a Bailey as the link above will direct you. It is a flat braided and is very nice. The front is looped one piece leather it feels secure but would have liked two. What I really like is the single loop for the button end. It loop it over the button and slide the know until tight. By far the most secure fit/feel of the three I tried.

A too-large opening with the slit/hole combo can be remedied. Punch a few small holes on either side of the slit, stitch it, but don't pull it tight until you put it back on the endpin. Pull the stitches tight, tie a knot that is secure, and you've got a strap that fits tightly, but will still swivel. I still recommend a backup tether tied to the tailpiece for backup. Frank.
    FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata

You can make your own 'more than adequate' strap if you can buy a strip of leather about 60" long. Here's the one i made for my "A" style mandolin. I simply made the loop that goes under the fingerboard extension (your 'scroll' loop),punched 2 holes through both sides of the strap & fastened them togather with some round leather cord.I cut the strap to lenght & punched the hole for the strap pin (end pin) though the other end. It cost in US terms around $8.00 & took all of 20 minutes to make,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0003.JPG 
Views:	162 
Size:	327.0 KB 
ID:	126416Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0002.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	141.7 KB 
ID:	126417
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Registered User Sven the Impaler's Avatar

I use Lakotas on both a mando and a 1/4 ton Gibson banjo. Feels good, looks good, smells good, and made by Native Americans (of the Lakota tribe in South Dakota).
    A mandolin, a jug of beer, and thou...