Thread: A-50? Help with the year and worth please.

Default A-50? Help with the year and worth please.

Hi, new poster here.
    I recently picked up this old gal for a song, couldn't pass her up. Now I'm trying to figure out what I've got.
    11 1/8th" wide, 14 1/2" scale.
    I'm a working musician with an F-2 for my primary instrument, an A-3, both 1919, and other vintage Martin and Gibson instruments.
    There's a strange exterior cleat on the back, just below the neck heel. Fleur de lis on the peghead, and individual Nick Lucas type position markers.
    EG-5745 is the number stamped on the back of the peghead.
    I've got this mandolin pulled apart, cleaning her up. Tuners are sealed KLUSON DELUXE.
    Thanks much for any info you can give.
    Here's a couple of pics:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1109141707b.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	126267

Name:	IMG_3690.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	126268

Name:	IMG_3693.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	126266

Default Re: A-50? Help with the year and worth please.

well, it's a 1939 A something but need more of a full photo to get the model right.

1939 A-50 - that's the only A mandolin Gibson made in 1939 with that body size, fleur-de-lis & NL fingerboard inlays. The cleat is weird. Not sure why someone would put it on there.
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

4. The following members say thank you to pfox14 for this post:

Here's a couple more pics...

Name:	1109141706.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	126272

Name:	1109141707a.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	126273

@pfox14, You know, come to think of it, I saw another similar mandolin at Elderlys a number of years ago with a similar exterior cleat. I can look inside of mine and there is no damage under that cleat, I have no idea of it's purpose.
    Would you know of where I can get a vintage bridge to match this mandolin? And, I see that you don't make pickguards for this year mandolin. Any idea where I could find one?
    Thanks for the year info!

That back has some real alligator dentistry going on. Is this the wide body model that you can't get into a normal sized case?

If it is indeed a 1939 model those tuners aren't original.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

8. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Mike... Yep, so wide it won't fit anywhere but it's own case. Fortunately it's case is in good++ condition, faux alligator.
    Thanks for the tuner info!

Nice one, fiddler56! I did a quick Google search, typed in: Gibson mandolin with fleur dis lise. I know my French is bad, but if you spell it just like I did and click images on Google you will see two just like yours. One is a 1939 and the other they are calling a 1940.

11. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

It looks to me like they might have been trying (and possibly succeeded) to get to the neck joint without removing the back. I can't think of any other reason for that patch (I hesitate to call it a cleat).

If you've ever spent any time inside a manufacturing plant you would see this sort of thing all over. rather than take apart a large machine or section of duct work they would just cut a hole big enough to get through and rivet a panel back over it when it was done. A friend of mine that came from that world asked to borrow my Saws-All. I asked him what he was working on. He was replacing his washing machine motor. Apparently just laying the washer on it's side or removing 10 or so screws was too much trouble. He just cut a hole in the side and patched it when he was done. I'm pretty sure he's never had a mandolin in his hands.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    It looks to me like they might have been trying (and possibly succeeded) to get to the neck joint without removing the back. I can't think of any other reason for that patch (I hesitate to call it a cleat).

If you've ever spent any time inside a manufacturing plant you would see this sort of thing all over. rather than take apart a large machine or section of duct work they would just cut a hole big enough to get through and rivet a panel back over it when it was done. A friend of mine that came from that world asked to borrow my Saws-All. I asked him what he was working on. He was replacing his washing machine motor. Apparently just laying the washer on it's side or removing 10 or so screws was too much trouble. He just cut a hole in the side and patched it when he was done. I'm pretty sure he's never had a mandolin in his hands.
    The Mike E Method at 69 stories.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

15. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

so you know you got a '39 A-50 wide body. Value if all original and without issues would be $2000 dealer price and more like $1000 to $1300 realistic price. In this condition with issues and some non original parts a dealer price more in the $1500 range and realistic at $750 to$900. These models I have found have neck issues hence the need for the brace at the heel. Neck likely pulled up and that's the only way they knew how to pull it back but I bet it didn't fix the problem totally and it's still hard to fret and play. The sound on these generally are loud in compairsion to the smaller body A50 but it seems to lack the sweeter tone. Different bracing inside. I consider these wide bodies kinda like when Ford came out with the Edsel. Nice idea, just didn't work so they quit making them.

17. The following members say thank you to f5loar for this post:

@f5loar
    That's what I was figuring. At $400 out of pocket for the A-50 I figured I couldn't go wrong. I've got 4 frets grooved deep and need to be replaced, even then I'll still be ahead of the game. It was strung up when I got it, and so played it for a bit. Loud like a crow, the action at the bridge was adjusted up due to the fret wear.
    I was looking for something with volume that I didn't fear taking on the street. The city contacted me about booking me to play old time tunes and songs in touristy outdoor areas here next spring and summer, and I didn't want to use my 1919 F-2. Fiddlewise, I've got a closet full that I fix up for new students, and so won't need to bring my performance violin.
    Thanks much for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by fiddler56 View Post
    @pfox14, You know, come to think of it, I saw another similar mandolin at Elderlys a number of years ago with a similar exterior cleat. I can look inside of mine and there is no damage under that cleat, I have no idea of it's purpose.
    Would you know of where I can get a vintage bridge to match this mandolin? And, I see that you don't make pickguards for this year mandolin. Any idea where I could find one?
    Thanks for the year info!
    I have a template for the wide body A-50 pickguard and can make one for you. Just send me an email: info@fox-guitars.com
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards