Thread: Forgot How Beautiful F4 Mandolins Are...

Default Forgot How Beautiful F4 Mandolins Are...

Hey all,

I was nosing through the Classifieds and came across an F4. I never really considered these to be as nice or pretty as the F5 is, but after looking at that one, and some others that I Googled, boy I was wrong. Those F4 mandolins are so beautiful. I really like the oval hole, isn't that what makes it an F4?

Anyway, I think there are some other makers that have F4's now, but I am pretty sure they are out of my range. Maybe one day I'll get one. I would LOVE to have a vintage Gibson like the one that caught my eye.

Just wanted to see how many other F4 fans there are here and if you have any pics of yours, how about posting them so others can enjoy them too.

Nalajr

p.s. I have nothing to do with the seller of that F4 in the Classifieds. I just thought it was a really pretty mandolin and wanted to ask others what they thought of this style too. That's all.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Forgot How Beautiful F4 Mandolins Are...

You should see the THREE point oval hole! Hans Brentrup made the best (most stable) modern version.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

3. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

I have long held the belief that the F4 is perhaps the most beautiful mandolin design ever created. Tonally, I admit to preferring the F-hole sound, but I revere the aesthetics of the F4.
    Last edited by RichM; Nov-02-2014 at 8:58pm.

Have a look at the northfields. I played one and really loved it. I'd like to own one one day. The black one is especially nice looking

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    You should see the THREE point oval hole! Hans Brentrup made the best (most stable) modern version.

Jamie

What do you mean by most stable? Is there something inherently unstable about the three point design?
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

If we go all the way back to the model F, we see Orville Gibson's design more-or-less as it started. By the time of the majority of F-2 and F-4 mandolins, the design had been modified and standardized for production. There were a few compromises for production, and the scroll was somewhat misshapen after the removal of the third point, but the proportions were pretty good and the design was coherent, for the most part. By the time of the F-5, the body shape was 'chiseled in stone', so to speak, because aluminum (I think) forms had been made and were in use for production building, so the body shape was not adjusted when the longer neck was added, and the proportions suffered, IMO. There are other imbalances that were introduces when the elevated fingerboard showed up and the top carving changed without a corresponding change to the back carving. I think that is why the F-4 (and F-2) appear more pleasing than the F-5 to so many people.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nalapombu View Post
    Just wanted to see how many other F4 fans there are here and if you have any pics of yours, how about posting them so others can enjoy them too.
    I've played F5s and A5s for years now, but I've always loved the looks of vintage F4s, especially the red sunburst model Gibsons. Here is my 1918 F4 next to my 1917 H4 mandola. Quite a matching pair!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F4-01.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	153.1 KB 
ID:	125755

Quote Originally Posted by RichM View Post
    I have long held the belief that the F4 is perhaps the most beautiful mandolin design ever created. Tonally, I admit to preferring the F-hole sound, but I revere the aesthetics of the F4.
    You know, I got into teens Gibson models because I was primarily seeking vintage oval-hole sound. And of course, I've always loved the looks. But the more I look at them, the more I think that F5s look 'weird' with the f-holes on the sides and a bald spot right in the middle. Don't get me wrong, I love my F5 and it's my main instrument for a variety of reasons. But the pure aesthetics of an F4 really does look 'right' to me.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tobin For This Useful Post:

I love F-2s and F-4s!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Registered User Steve VandeWater's Avatar

I've got my eye on an Eastman 514 to complement my 515. I love the oval hole and it fits more with the style of music I want to play. They are beautiful instruments for sure.
    It ain't gotta be perfect, as long as it's perfect enough!

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlackVeil View Post
    Have a look at the northfields. I played one and really loved it. I'd like to own one one day. The black one is especially nice looking.
    I haven't played any of their oval holes but I would guess that they sound a lot different from the vintage Gibsons. These are more hybrids with the bridge positioned to give a longer neck access. I also believe that they x-bracing which would give a very different tone.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    By the time of the F-5, the body shape was 'chiseled in stone', so to speak, because aluminum (I think) forms had been made and were in use for production building, so the body shape was not adjusted when the longer neck was added, and the proportions suffered, IMO. There are other imbalances that were introduces when the elevated fingerboard showed up and the top carving changed without a corresponding change to the back carving. I think that is why the F-4 (and F-2) appear more pleasing than the F-5 to so many people.
    As someone untrained in design, I really appreciated this explanation. Out of curiosity, was any of that sense of proportion regained with the short necked F-7 / F-10 / F-12 models of the 1930's?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Blog Entries

What do you mean by most stable? Is there something inherently unstable about the three point design?
    No... Just they are older and more often in rougher shape.... also, Hans' work is so clean and good. Don't mean to ruffle feathers or imply the old Gibson 3 Points are no good... If i had my choice of one of Hans' or a Gibson one, I would pick Hans in a hot minute.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    ...was any of that sense of proportion regained with the short necked F-7 / F-10 / F-12 models of the 1930's?
    Not in my opinion (and it's all opinion).
    (BTW, i don't have any formal design training either, I've just tried to learn why I like what I like by analyzing.)

16. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Yeah, I agree with you Jamie, the old ones have been "enjoyed" and show the effect of time. It's not an issue of instability just the best part of a century of use.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Thanks for posting the pics....I'm really enjoying them.

I've been looking at the Eastman and Northfield mandos, their F5 and F4 models. They are really pretty too.

What would a 1918 F4 like the one posted by Tobin, in good playable condition, go for these days?

It would be so cool to have one of those, even cooler if I could play it like it deserves to be played. That would take me quite a while...

Lets see more pics. Feel free to post 3 points too. Lets not discriminate.

Thanks everyone.

Nalajr

What I really like about the F4's is that the colors tend to shift towards a richer reddish hue, rather than the less-saturated brown bursts that are more common on the F5s.

The F4's certainly sound beautiful as well, with a richer tone that matches their richer appearance:

--Tom

Something I've noticed. And maybe it's just anecdotal

But I notice a bigger difference between say an f4 vs an A4 than I do between an a5 and an f5.

F4s seem to sound a little bigger than their A style counterparts. Has anyone else had the same experience? I'm not really trying to speculate on WHY that is. Because I'm not qualified, but it seems to be a much more indentifiable difference in oval holes as opposed to f holes

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I really like the look of a three point will have to get one someday
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Something I've noticed. And maybe it's just anecdotal

But I notice a bigger difference between say an f4 vs an A4 than I do between an a5 and an f5.

F4s seem to sound a little bigger than their A style counterparts. Has anyone else had the same experience? I'm not really trying to speculate on WHY that is. Because I'm not qualified, but it seems to be a much more indentifiable difference in oval holes as opposed to f holes
    Interesting. I've never noticed a consistent difference between the A4's and F4's, usually just a difference between F4's and other F4's or A4's and other A4's.

It may just be individual differences between voicing, construction, etc., since they weren't as standardized as the later models.

--Tom

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RichM View Post
    I have long held the belief that the F4 is perhaps the most beautiful mandolin design ever created. .
    I admit to a strong fondness for the F4. That and the three point oval holes are really really beautiful.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Interesting. I've never noticed a consistent difference between the A4's and F4's, usually just a difference between F4's and other F4's or A4's and other A4's.
    I can't claim to have heard enough old F4s and A4s in person to be able to claim any pattern whatsoever, but the thing that strikes me about these old Gibsons is that they all have vastly different personalities. Aside from construction differences between years and models, they have all had close to a hundred years (more in some cases) to age differently, under completely different circumstances. Some have been stored under a bed for decades with no playing. Some have been rode hard and put up wet most of their lives. Some have their original parts, some don't. Some have been damaged and then repaired or restored. As time has gone by, the variables in the equation have increased to the point where I doubt any two will sound the same. It's one of my favorite things about them, to be honest!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Coletti View Post

It may just be individual differences between voicing, construction, etc., since they weren't as standardized as the later models.

--Tom
    Yeah like I said it's probably anectdotal and maybe it was just the few that I played.

That's why I was asking because i know a lot of you guys have played way more examples of these than I have

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Coletti View Post
    What I really like about the F4's is that the colors tend to shift towards a richer reddish hue, rather than the less-saturated brown bursts that are more common on the F5s.
    Then again, there are the rarer Cremona brown finished F4s. I have a friend who owns 2 both from 1921, very similar to this one dated 1922 from the archive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	68916_front.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	125814  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

i love to play this old girl. Miss Phoebe is a 1923. The tone and ease of play is a little more sophisticated and sweet in comparison to my 1913 A4 which is maybe a little louder with a more booming fundamental voicing. The two are very different but both still have that old Gibson ringing long sustaining tone as compared to Yellowbell's(my Goldrush)woody dry cutting voice.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	270.4 KB 
ID:	125982Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	185.8 KB 
ID:	125983
    "A sudden clash of thunder, the mind doors burst open, and lo, there sits old man Buddha-nature in all his homeliness."
    CHAO-PIEN

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    If we go all the way back to the model F, we see Orville Gibson's design more-or-less as it started. By the time of the majority of F-2 and F-4 mandolins, the design had been modified and standardized for production. There were a few compromises for production, and the scroll was somewhat misshapen after the removal of the third point, but the proportions were pretty good and the design was coherent, for the most part. By the time of the F-5, the body shape was 'chiseled in stone', so to speak, because aluminum (I think) forms had been made and were in use for production building, so the body shape was not adjusted when the longer neck was added, and the proportions suffered, IMO. There are other imbalances that were introduces when the elevated fingerboard showed up and the top carving changed without a corresponding change to the back carving. I think that is why the F-4 (and F-2) appear more pleasing than the F-5 to so many people.
    Well put. The proportions of the body size and the neck length, does for some reason, seem more pleasing to the eye on F-2's and F-4's than on F-5's. I also think the F style body shape looks better with the oval hole than with the F holes. Purely form a visual stand point, in my opinion.
    Weber Sweet Pea
    Morgan Monroe MMS5W
    Gibson 1914 F4
    Gibson 1921 H2
    Saga AM-10 Work In Progress

I try to play every day.
    http://iversmandolinorchestra.blogspot.com/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hester F4 018.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	126310Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hester F4 017.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	126311Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hester F4 005.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	126312Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hester F4 003 (2).jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	126313Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hester F4 016.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	126314Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hester F4 012.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	126315As many of you know I had Gail Hester make me a red replica of a 1923 F4. Some differences though, the neck while not F5 slender is more slender than the 20s necks pre-Loar or Loar. It has a truss-rod like the Loars. The tone of this beauty is simply awesome. It plays very easily and pushed tone. This is my instrument of choice for most genres outside of bluegrass. I have encluded a pictures of my baby.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to red7flag For This Useful Post:

hankTobin