Thread: Nort Indian Classical Mandolin performance on Nov 15th at NJ

Blog Entries

Default Nort Indian Classical Mandolin performance on Nov 15th at NJ

North Indian Classical Mandolin performance by Snehasish Mozumder
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10384115_10204692612852305_8701691206909398100_n.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	126207  

2. The following members say thank you to tukun for this post:

Default Re: Nort Indian Classical Mandolin performance on Nov 15th at NJ

Thanks for posting, I love Mozumder's playing.

4. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

tukun 

Blog Entries

Hi David thanks for your reply

Thanks for posting this, Tukun. If possible, I will attend.

Blog Entries

Thanks Bob

Hello Tukun,

Why not post this concert on the events calendar on the MC home page? More people would notice it there, so there might be a larger turn-out.

Bob

Blog Entries

Dear Bob thanks for informing me about events calender friend, and just I did it and hope meet you there friend.

I attended this concert and will now struggle to find adjectives sufficient to describe the experience. It was that good. To any who were there and are more knowledgeable than me, please feel free to offer corrections.

I became aware of the use of mandolins in Indian music through the Cafe only a few years ago. Since then, I have listened to a great deal of this beautiful music via the web. That in no way prepared me for the experience of hearing it performed live by such a master as Snehasish Mozumder. This is deeply moving music that, to me, seems not as melody-driven as Western music, but reaches the emotions of this listener in other profound but less familiar ways.

There was a small but enthusiastic and knowledgeable audience gathered for the concert. Many in attendance appeared to be personal acquaintances of the performer and also to have real insight into the music being performed. The concert began with a North Indian Raga, followed by a South Indian Raga, then by pieces from the Indian folk tradition. Between pieces, Mr. Mozumder spoke candidly with the audience about the music, his instrument and the mandolin family of instruments, and about Padmashree Srinivas, in whose memory the concert was held. This casual and witty repartee contributed to the great hospitality we experienced.

Mr. Mozumder played an older flat-top instrument with a large body and longer scale length, leading me to think it was actually a mandola. It was in many ways similar to a CF Martin instrument, but I do not know who made it. It sounded wonderful and he coaxed a wide variety of tones from it. It blended well with the tabla, expertly played by Shivalik Goshal, a very talented musician, and they played over a recorded drone note which added depth. How these two performers sounded so much like a whole band of musicians remains a mystery. Suffice it to say that while Mr. Mazumder exhibits a technique very different from that of performers of any genre in the Western tradition, his level of virtuosity, to my ears and eyes, is the equal of even the best of those performers. As well, I believe his improvisational skills were the match for any of the great jazz performers.

What more can I say about this amazing performance? If you get a chance to hear either of these performers, don't pass it up. I spent nearly four hours on the road to attend and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Additionally, it was announced that Mr. Mozumder will be offering lessons in that area (Central NJ) for a brief period of time beginning in February. Were it not so far, I would certainly take advantage of that great opportunity. It would be a real privilege to learn from such a master.

11. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

sgrexa 

Blog Entries

Dear Bob
    Thanks for your mail friend, now I am mailing you from Kolkata(India) just reached here after my US tour and sorry for late replying friend as I return after 2 months so didn't look on internet spent the full time with my family, now all set and yes of course I will love to play at southern NJ so if you know some places might be interested for my performance pl let me know , I am going again to NY at mid of Feb of 2015 and will be there 3 months and planing and trying for concerts and also beside concerts I am planing for some classes on Mandolin and Guitar regarding how to play North Indian Classical Music on Mandolin and Guitar on 3 months semester basis ,and I made one demo video on Guitar where I played Guitar by applying my Mandolin techniques and it didn't sound that bad but you know I am not a maestro of guitar but if any Guitarist apply that techniques on Guitar there must be a new light, and the Guitar I played that was very ordinary like 15U.S.D may be the cost and very old but if we use some good strings it might be way better,so just I am informing you very humbly that if you know some musicians friends or any music institution might be interested on that pl let me know and I am so happy that you and your wife been there at my concert at NJ and you liked my endeavor , and enthused me thanks a lot, pl inform my greetings , thanks and regards to your wife and I will like to send you the Guitar clipping and some other clippings of my mandolin performance , wish you all the best friend and I will be keep in touch, and looking forward to meet you.
    Regards
    Snehasish Mozumder
    www.mandolinclassic.com
    snehasishmando@yahoo.com