Thread: More praise for the Pava

Default More praise for the Pava

Could not resist just one more purchase after hearing the good buzz and watching the "we should build mandolins" video. The good folks at The Mandolin Store delivered a brown satin, #85. What a fine instrument it is - the pictures/videos/sound clips don't do it justice. Just wanted to thank Tom Ellis, Pava Knezevic and everyone at the shop for building mandolins.
    -Jim

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: More praise for the Pava

Congrats on your purchase, Jim! Join us in the Pava social group: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=265.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Congrats, Jim-

I love my Pava, too.

Blog Entries

Congratulations! Fine instrument indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by jclover View Post
    Could not resist just one more purchase after hearing the good buzz and watching the "we should build mandolins" video.
    Same here. I'm glad I took a chance on the hype. I've had opportunity to play other fine mandolins since and while they were excellent in many ways I would chose the Pava again with hindsight.

I'm considering having the Ellis shop install an ebony finger-rest but enjoying it too much to send it off for weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    Congrats on your purchase, Jim! Join us in the Pava social group: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=265.
    Thanks, I will do that!

I was playing last night, trying to single out what made this mandolin special. Pretty sure I reached a trance state and elevated my consciousness in the process. This thing has mojo!
    -Jim

6. The following members say thank you to jclover for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

For those wanting to join the praise party, The Mandolin Store has a gently used mint 2014 Player model in stock for $600 off of retail: http://www.themandolinstore.com/scri...idproduct=9730.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I am really floored by this Pava. When I was playing guitar, I spent decades trying to find "The One", and bought nearly 2 dozen guitars trying to get there. Granted, I did not have much money then so most were not very expensive, but that is still quite a few guitars. I basically gave up, and just figured it would be the same with mandolins. Keep a couple good ones, and switch around as the mood strikes. Worked well with my F9 and MTO. But then I got this Pava...and it is "The One". I was not even considering selling off my other mandolins less than a week ago, but it seems almost inevitable now. The Pava is all I want to play! Of course, different strokes for different folks and all that, so YMMV. But this is an outstanding instrument.
    -Jim

I recently had the great fortune to be abe to buy a 'used' Ellis "A" style. I have read on here about the great similarity between the Ellis mandolins & their 'stable mates',the Pava's, & i can only congratulate the Pava owners on their choice. If they are as similar as i've read,then you've got a mandolin for life - brilliant !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    I recently had the great fortune to be abe to buy a 'used' Ellis "A" style. I have read on here about the great similarity between the Ellis mandolins & their 'stable mates',the Pava's, & i can only congratulate the Pava owners on their choice. If they are as similar as i've read,then you've got a mandolin for life - brilliant !,
    Ivan
    I would love it if someone had the chance to compare a Pava with the Ellis. (Tom might not want that, but still!)

When I finally can muster up enough gumption to buy a multi-thousand-dollar mandolin, it's the Ellis that's first on the list. But the price of a used Pava might just make the decision that much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by terzinator View Post
    I would love it if someone had the chance to compare a Pava with the Ellis. (Tom might not want that, but still!)

When I finally can muster up enough gumption to buy a multi-thousand-dollar mandolin, it's the Ellis that's first on the list. But the price of a used Pava might just make the decision that much easier.
    I can only compare an Ellis F5 to the Pava (as I own both), so it may not be as true a comparison as you'd get with an Ellis A. But I've said it before and I'll say it again - Pava mandolins are a true bargain for what they are. They are made by the same hands, in the same shop, with the same tools and processes as the Ellis mandolins. Pavas and Ellises are literally built side by side. There are some physical differences with respect to options like tailpieces, binding, woods, neck profiles, finishes, etc., but Pava mandolins are every bit as good as Ellis mandolins where it counts. The quality is outstanding on both brands and they have similar playability and tone. They will develop different tone over time, due to the physical differences (especially with wood choices and such), but there's nothing about the construction or attention to detail on the Pava that would be considered 'lesser' or 'inferior' to an Ellis, in my opinion. Their intent with the Pava brand was to provide Ellis quality at a price that's more reachable, and they have succeeded.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tobin For This Useful Post:

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

Well, Tobin, that's extremely helpful.

It also makes for a more difficult decision!

I feel like, if I'm gonna jump in with two feet and get something that's measurably different than my Collings MT, I thought I definitely would have to go the Ellis route. The water, unfortunately, is a bit more muddy. Was hoping the difference was greater.

But when the time comes, I still think I'll probably go with an Ellis.

One Cafe member who recently visited the UK & who had the chance to play the Ellis & Pavas at TAMCO UK, remarked to me in an e-mail that the 3 makes that he liked most & that sounded the best to him,were the Ellis,Pava & the Girouard instruments. Tobin's remarks above,seem to bear the opinion on the Ellis & Pava's out. I wonder if there will ever be a Pava "F" style ?. Now wouldn't that be a sight to 'hear' ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

15. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post: