Thread: Questions from fiddle player learning mando

Default Questions from fiddle player learning mando

I play fiddle in a Celtic and a country band, and I'd like to know what to spend my time practicing for being a Mando band member (a few leads, but mostly rhythm) in those genres:
    left hand: do I need to learn 3 string bar chords or can I just play chords using the fingerings I know from fiddle, which often involve open strings?
    right hand: strum patterns or picking? How do I get the kind of sound the mando player has in the Pogues?
    Thanks for any help, I've been using online lessons but there are so many choices its overwhelming.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Questions from fiddle player learning mando

Well ..... A few lessons from a mandolin teacher that is there to tell you a few what to and what not to do things will get you started a bit more surely than one direction video lessons. Not that it can't be done that way. It is just a bit more difficult and may take more time. The choice of most Irish music mandolin players is an A style oval hole mandolin rather than a F style with F holes or even a A style with F holes. It's a tonal choice. Yes to three string chords but don't limit yourself to only those. Two and four string variations are useful in filling out structure. I don't know the specific setup The Pogues mandolin player uses so I can't comment on that. A loose wrist and 1.2 mm pick or thicker to get a good tone from the mandolin. Don't over grip with your noting hand. If your mandolin won't note cleanly with reasonable down pressures either set it up yourself using Rob Meldrum's book, available for free here, or have it set up professionally. Look up Marla Fibish ... I know she teaches and has video lessons both. Luck... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I am a fiddle player mostly, also, but play mandolin enough for some stage work. If you're familiar with double stops, it's sort of like playing both the high register and low register double stop both at the same time. That is if you wish to strum all four strings at once, to voice the chord. Go to jazzmando.com and look for FFcF (stands for Four Finger closed Formation).
    As far as the right hand. It's a different muscle group for bowing than the pick. I'll be honest and tell you this is my weakness. I've settled on being a fiddler that also plays mandolin, rather than the other way around. You see few that can do both in expert fashion, like Sam Bush, Tom O'Brien, & Ricky Skaggs. You may be one of the lucky few. I am not. Best of Luck, FJ

I also came to the mandolin from violin first (classically trained) and then guitar (self taught). Learning chords (2, 3, 4 finger and full barres) in multiple positions has helped my mando playing a lot, and also improved my fiddle playing. Knowing where the basic triad is in a various positions for a given chord gives you the option of playing the chords, picking an arpeggio, walking a voice-leading line, etc. And you can transfer these skills back to the fiddle as well. Learn the left hand chord fingerings. Learn to chop strum and pick the chords with your right hand.