Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mandolins cost ___?____...audience participation

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandolins cost ___?____...audience participation

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Eh? He addressed this in his post, Item 1.

This is an epic task - Herculean in scope, Sisyphean in nature - and what he needs, besides a commendation just for trying, and encouragement to continue, is contribution, not criticism.

It's not a criticism - just a statement of fact. I'm merely pointing out the scale of the omission.
    Last edited by Pete Jenner; Nov-09-2014 at 2:47am.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

2. The following members say thank you to Pete Jenner for this post:

Great start, but a book could probably be written on this topic!

Have you checked out the list at Jazz Mando? There might be some you want to add if they're not on there already (going beyond BG obviously):

http://jazzmando.com/spotlight_build..._century.shtml

4. The following members say thank you to Petrus for this post:

Keep the faith...and remember: This is not intended to be a COMPLETE guide! It's intended to be an early answer for those asking the questions: What, how much, who, etc.? And, if you have a suggestion for additions, be specific, please! I appreciate those of you who can make specific suggestions, beyond Bluegrass, particularly!

And...enjoy the journey!

Registered User Sven the Impaler's Avatar

Like it....keep it simple.

And thanks for doing it.

I think you'll realize you've bitten off more than you can chew. I've done that on various projects over the years and ended up leaving a lot of them incomplete! When you add electrics, OMs, resonators, the list multiplies exponentially.

Quote Originally Posted by Denman John View Post
    A lot of great small shop luthiers/builders are not included on this list that should probably be there...
    I would recommend you take a look at some of the builders that contribute to the "Builders and Repair" forum. Also, take a look at the Social Groups that feature specific builders. At the high end you show some great builders (Monteleone, Dudenbostel) so you should include the great builders at the lower price points, too. My recommendations?
    Howard (Sonny) Morris, Joe Mendel, Tom TJ Jessen (Cricketfiddle), and I know there are more. So many new players don't know they can get an awesome new handcrafted mandolin from one of these folks for under $5 k.

Good suggestions, Mandobart!... Would you let me know the specific price ranges for each?...I'll be happy to add them to the chart! Thanks!

Blog Entries

2) I’m a bluegrass-er and didn’t range far from “ff” holes. Easy to add to the chart, yourself, though! Send me those you'd like added (builder, model [A, F, Oval, ff], and price range.) I'll attempt to add them to the chart!... For those of you whose mandolins I’ve missed, and those of you who play classical, choro, etc. where bowl backs, oval-hole and flattop mandolins are dominant
    This can be covered by titling the chart in some way: An aid to the pricing of mandolins popular in bluegrass music in America." Something like that.

Because your "etc." above covers a whole lot of music. World wide the number of mandolinners who don't follow bluegrass is much larger than the number who do, and even in the States it is probably close if not true also.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

12. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    ...you should include the great builders at the lower price points, too. My recommendations?
    Howard (Sonny) Morris, Joe Mendel, Tom TJ Jessen (Cricketfiddle), and I know there are more. So many new players don't know they can get an awesome new handcrafted mandolin from one of these folks for under $5 k.
    Big Muddy, Jacobson, Gypsy, Crystal Forest, & prob a dozen more.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Lots of good suggestions! Thanks! While you're at it, how about going to some of these builders, finding their price range, and adding that to your suggestions! If you'll do that, I'll update the chart.

Although I've placed a somewhat bluegrass tone to this chart, I believe we could put any builder on the chart.

These are the general price points:

<.2K / .3-.9K / 1-1.9K / 2-2.9K / 3-4.9K / 5-10K / 11-25K / 26-99K / 100K>
    NEW
    USED

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    FWIW, there are mandolins for sale under $200. I haven't played any of them other than a Rogue (surprisingly, acceptable sounding) and Michael Kelly (seriously sunken top, so jury still out). But I am a little saddened to see that prices are going up, if this is any indication, and the once very affordable Rogue has suffered a 20% increase, now priced at a lofty $59.99.
    Well ..the more expensive that ROGUE gets , the better it must be ....right ? ..haha

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Big Muddy, Jacobson, Gypsy, Crystal Forest, & prob a dozen more.
    Zakly.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

I don't have any problem with the chart being bluegrass-centric. As long as it is explicitly so.

As you can tell from some of my posts elsewhere, I feel for many newbies who come innocently looking for a good mandolin on a limited budget, and are immediately shunted into arch top F-5 type instruments, thinking that is all there is. They can end up spending money (or buying perhaps less quality than they otherwise could), and maybe only because they didn't know you don't need a scroll or an arch top or sunburst or a whatever. Newbies especially, I think, need to see a the big picture of what mandolinning can be, before considering any specific recommendation, (regardless of how apt the recommendation may be).

The entire staff
    funny....

"big picture of what mandolinning can be, before considering any specific recommendation"
    1. No recommendations made on the chart!
    2. Requested that additional suggestions be made to broaden the scope [as well as my knowledge].
    3. The only additional request is that, if one adds a mandolin [say: Big Muddy, Jacobson, Gypsy, Crystal Forest] they also provide information [pricing] so they can be added to the chart!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    There's no need for any of this complicated stuff. It's all governed by one simple formula:

P = 4x + 1000.

Where P is the price of the mandolin in dollars, and x is the amount of money your spouse thinks you should pay for it.
    That one made me laugh, because it is very true....
    AKA "golfunit"