Thread: Ricky Skaggs concert was amazing!

Default Ricky Skaggs concert was amazing!

My wife and I went to Ozark Folk Center in Mountain View Arkansas Saturday night to hear Ricky Skaggs and the Kentucky Thunder and wow was it worth the 2 hour drive!! He is amazing on the mandolin. He said his little PeeWee was born in 1922 lol. He had just put new strings on it and kept having to tune it, was kinda funny. He signed autographs after, and I saw a little girl have him sign her Savannah, which he was super nice and acted like it was a very nice instrument, which was very sweet coming from the guy that had a sweet Gibson on stage. Well he closed the concert with Uncle Pen and the place came to peices lol. If he comes anywhere near you and you love the mandolin, I recommend going to see him!

P.S. I wish I had my Kentucky with me, I would have asked him to sign it!

Ruck
    Eastman MD-515
    McSpadden Mountain Dulcimer

2. The following members say thank you to Ruckmanite for this post:

Default Re: Ricky Skaggs concert was amazing!

I am jealous! Sounds like a great night. It was Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder that got me into Bluegrass and the mandolin. Saw a Youtube video of them playing "Get Up John" live, and that was it for me. Now I need to make the effort to get to a show.
    -Jim

I haven't seen him in years, but when I did he put on one fine show!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Ricky played in a nice renovated theater a year , or so ago. Of course the show was awesome . I WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED THAT THE PLACE WAS ONLY ABOUT 2/3rds full. They played a fantastic show, nevertheless. True talented professionals.

I've never had the pleasure of seeing Ricky & the band live,but as far as playing Trad.Bluegrass,when they do it right,for me,there's no 'better' band. Ricky's CD ''Instrumentals'' is a showpiece for his playing & one of my very favourite recordings of Bluegrass mandolin,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Ticket prices reflect attendance at all types of events. There are many factors that go into how something is priced and what the public is willing to pay which is affected by the economy which is not so hot right now.

I saw Skaggs about 10 years ago in a place that was about 2/3 full. After the band smoked 3 hard driving grass tunes, Ricky looked out over the crown and said, "where is everyone?" Some wise guy hollered back, "they probably can't afford the tickets." Ricky replied immediately, "we don't come cheap. You get what you pay for. You're gonna have to pay for it if you want the best.....and we're the best."

I've seen Skaggs about 10 times going back to 1984 country. Every single show, I left saying, "WOW." Sometimes I also said he could have talked less. When it comes to playing traditional bluegrass Skaggs plays it as perfect as it can be. Just my humble opinion.

Bob
    re simmers