Thread: Looking for your opinion on this Breedlove

Default Looking for your opinion on this Breedlove

The mando is pictured below. It's a prototype American Series FO with k&k pickup. Hard case included. Price: $750

There seems to be very little info out there about this Breedlove, especially since it's a prototype.

I guess I'd like your opinions on this. Is it a good mandolin? Is the price right? FYI, this will be my first mandolin, I'm an old guitar picker.

Thanks to you all, I love this forum!

Rick

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	breedlove.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	124858

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Default Re: Looking for your opinion on this Breedlove

I dont like the scroll
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

first, based on market, provided its in working order and no issues, proper neck angle, string break, neck width acceptable, etc
    seems with a K and K its a good price. I would characterize it as a more than decent mando for a starter, at least, and it may be wonderful.

as a first mando, I think you would be happy. Breedloves I have played have nice fret work.

I have played breedloves in GC from time to time. They are thinnish to my ear, ie a bit trebly and a not too much mid or bass, but play nicely and intonate fine. The O may be more bassy. It appears to be a rather 'plane jane' type of model and the neck joints at the 12th fret, normal for an o style. this will mean more old time and celtic sound not so much BG. As a very plain model ie no binding or inlay and as best I can tell, satin finish, its indeed Spartan.
    I would think it would be a fine starter. I don think you would find better value, provided you like an O style hole. Os are described, rightfully imho, as a bit tubby in sound. with a shorter neck, you will find comparatively to an Fs longer neck, quicker note decay, ie less sustain.

I would not buy it if you cannot examine and return it, period. You must be able to determine if its is intonated well, is to your liking sound-wise and in feel. You are close to 1000, and you may do better used, ie an Eastman or even a weber A.

you didn't ask, but I kinda like the design. FWIW, as for resale, I think it would be a bit more difficult, as , above post, not everyone is cool with the looks.

I know its hard when youre starting to know what to do. if you haven't played a few, I would -even if you have to pay a bit more later.

4. The following members say thank you to stevedenver for this post:

Rabid1 

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid1 View Post
    I guess I'd like your opinions on this. Is it a good mandolin? Is the price right? FYI, this will be my first mandolin, I'm an old guitar picker.
    Getting beyond aesthetics, which are a matter of personal taste, I would say that the Breedlove is a good mandolin, especially with its wider nut and bigger frets for a migrating guitarist. And the price of $750 is a good one, as used Breedlove F models usually go for $1000 and up and one would be hard pressed to name another trusted American builder who could give you a solid wood F model at that price point. The only question then becomes intended application, as this mandolin with its nontraditional styling and oval hole might not make for the ideal instrument to take to your traditional bluegrass jam.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

6. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Rabid1 

stevedenver & pheffernan, Thank you for taking the time to offer your informative opinions! I'm more inclined to play (real) country & bluegrass than anything else. The non-tradional style of this mandolin is what is giving me pause. Perhaps I'd be better served by a Kentucky or Loar?

I'm more inclined to play (real) country & bluegrass than anything else. The non-tradional style of this mandolin is what is giving me pause. Perhaps I'd be better served by a Kentucky or Loar?
    If you're drawn to bluegrass, then I would at the very least recommend something with f-holes.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

9. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

That instrument is very similar to my go to instrument. I like mine very much indeed. I play lots of Old Time and some Celtic and it kills for both. Nice, well rounded, lovely tone and plenty loud too. Very consistent up and down the neck and comfortable to play to boot.

I am a bit puzzled by the prototype label. If it is a prototype how did the seller get hold of it? The biggest differences I see from stock are a contrasting truss rod cover and a strange custom looking tailpiece instead of the standard one. Usually in excellent condition these go for 1000 or a bit more so 750 seems a steal. If I had the opportunity I would definitely jump on it. The pickup adds more value.

I hope the comments about the scroll and the non traditional looks are tongue in cheek. As a Breedlove owner comments like this drive me nuts. There are plenty of makers out there that do not follow the Loar aesthetic formula. Whether a scroll has a button or not, whether the finish is sunburst or something else, what the headstock is shaped like, whether someone has audacity to use an inlay of something other than a vine or a flowerpot...none of this makes one iota's worth of difference to the tone and playability. I happen to like and embrace the different looks. I wish more folks worried about things that truly matter in a mandolin and that they would stop dwelling on purely cosmetic issues. Why does every mandolin have to look like a Cremona brown sunburst 1924 Gibson F5?
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Thanks Don! Good perspective. I am not really concerned that much about aesthetics, but much more about playability & sound.

I'm not sure about how the seller got the prototype, but he owns a cleaning business in Bend, Oregon, where they are made. I suspect he has a personal relationship with someone in Breedlove. I will certainly ask him if I buy his mandolin.

Dang! This mandolin buying process is confusing

Blog Entries

If you want to bluegrass jam, get an f hole Breedlove. If not, this one aint a bad price.

Mine plays easy and has satisfied me (of model, a style f hole) and with the addition of a tonegard is plenty loud for a loud jam.

13. The following members say thank you to Markus for this post:

Rabid1 

Blog Entries

That price is good if the mandolin is in good shape. At least with the quartz models, the oval holes, in general, were better received than the f holed ones. This mandolin breaks tradition for looks. If you like it, great. If not, pass on it. You should be able to resell it for about what you put into it.

I wouldn't use an oval hole mandolin for a bluegrass jam. I mainly play oval holed mandolins - I just don't play grass.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

15. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

Rabid1 

Is the F hole tradition in Bluegrass a rule or a tradition? I play a Breedlove Quartz OF for Classical, Celtic and MOR but not Bluegrass. It's really good. Play what sounds right to you. Perfect your tone, tempo and tuning. That's all there is to it. "All!!!????". Ha! Ha! That will take up a few years of your life.

17. The following members say thank you to RichardF for this post:

Rabid1 

Blog Entries

Richard, f hole mandolins do much better projecting the sound out so you can be heard over the banjo and fiddle and thus are favored in bluegrass.

19. The following members say thank you to Markus for this post:

Rabid1 

Blog Entries

Kim Breedlove was usually directly involved in the building of the prototypes. I have a guitar he released after using it at one of the NAMM shows... it is hands down a fantastic instrument and is my 'go to' next to my 1950 D-28..... my guess is this could be a very fine mandolin. As for oval holes not being "bluegrass enough" Bill managed to record the original of 'Big Mon' using one...

Food for thought.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

21. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Rabid1 

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    Richard, f hole mandolins do much better projecting the sound out so you can be heard over the banjo and fiddle and thus are favored in bluegrass.
    Good point.

Thanks to all who helped me! Now...drum roll please, I just won this Kentucky KM-380 on eBay for $200 + Shipping. The info gleaned from this thread was actually the driving force in my decision. While I'm sure the Breedlove is a fine instrument, I decided to go more traditional, and I couldn't pass up this deal on the Kentucky, which included HSC, Strings & strap. I'm pretty sure it's been setup, but will take to my luthier to make sure it's right.

Can anyone identify the year of manufacture?

Thanks again guys!

Name:	Full.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	241.0 KB 
ID:	124936

Name:	Label.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	124937

Can anyone identify the year of manufacture?
    I'd guess 2001 based on the number on the label.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

stevedenver & pheffernan, Thank you for taking the time to offer your informative opinions! I'm more inclined to play (real) country & bluegrass than anything else. The non-tradional style of this mandolin is what is giving me pause. Perhaps I'd be better served by a Kentucky or Loar?
    You would probably be better off to look for a F hole model

26. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

Rabid1 

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

The FF models sell used, often with pickups, for around $1k, and the oval variation of this one is pretty rare, especially in
    the natural finish. It's priced well below market, so if you like it, I'd say it's a good value.

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

28. The following members say thank you to steve V. johnson for this post:

Rabid1