Thread: Matt Flinner & Sims Delaney-Potthoff workshops in Cleveland, OH

Default Matt Flinner & Sims Delaney-Potthoff workshops in Cleveland, OH

Hi,

On Saturday November 8th, Mechanic Street House Concerts in Cleveland, Ohio will be hosting 4 hours of workshops with Matt Flinner & Sims Delaney-Potthoff. There will be workshops on topics ranging from bluegrass to an introduction to classical mandolin to playing gypsy jazz. That evening, there will be a concert with Harmonious Wail (Sims’ gypsy jazz group) & the Matt Flinner Trio.

See mechanicstreetmusic.com for more concert info or here for workshop info. Please email us at mechanicstreetmusic@yahoo.com to reserve your spot for the workshops or concert.

About the performers & instructors:

“Flinner continues his reign as perhaps the most exciting and creative mandolin player on the scene today.”—Jazz Times

Matt Flinner is a Winfield Mandolin Championship winner and member of Modern Mandolin Quartet, as well as a great composer and instructor. Since its inception in 2006, the Matt Flinner Trio has been forging new pathways for the standard bluegrass trio. Flinner, guitarist Ross Martin and bassist Eric Thorin cover a wide variety of musical styles—all with the common ground of American roots. Bluegrass, jazz and Celtic music are all present here, but not necessarily overtly or in a contrived sense. Call it Americana Music, or New Acoustic, or Chamber Grass, or just call it Great Music; whatever label you put on it, it is guaranteed to be fresh and original, and definitely something you’ve never quite heard before.

"You’ll be smiling from the moment [Harmonious Wail] starts to play…[their music] is strangely reminiscent of Frank Zappa’s celebrated and just-as-jazzy Mothers of Invention … As a matter of fact, if this CD doesn’t set your toe to tapping and a smile on your face, you should probably get medication." - Folk & Acoustic Music Exchange

Smoldering vocals laced among the jazzy mandolin and guitar; an infectious blend of continental jazz, swing, gypsy music and melodic vocals …how DOES one describe the sound of Harmonious Wail? The Wail has caught numerous listeners by total surprise during its more than 20-year history. Sims Delaney-Potthoff, Harmonious Wail’s founder, leader and mandolinist , credits Jethro Burns with the band’s unique, enticing style of mandolin-driven gypsy-jazz. Sims studied for seven years with Burns, the legendary jazz mandolinist, laying the foundation for Harmonious Wail’s acoustic string sound. He furthered his studies with Matt Glaser at Boston’s Berklee College of Music, honing his skills while immersing himself in the “gypsy” music of Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappelli.

I hope you can join us!

Joel
    Mechanic Street House Concerts
    Cleveland, Ohio

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Matt Flinner & Sims Delaney-Potthoff workshops in Cleveland,

My my my! I haven't seen the name Sims Delaney in more than fifteen years. Back in my music journalism days, Harmonious Wail drove all the way out to Falcon Ridge Folk Festival one year, just to play in the New Talent Showcase. That's a freebie, three songs in fifteen minutes, the prize being a performing slot in the following year's festival. They drove 1000 miles to do it - and then turned around and drove right back because they had a gig. Now, that is a remarkable example of dedication and belief in one's self. I don't remember whether they won the contest, but they had my vote. But I do remember liking their album, enough to put it on my list of the best albums of the year that year. Now, this is a dubious honor, since in order to make the list you had to be pretty obscure, but anyway, they earned it. What I'm saying, in my roundabout way, is that it's good to see they're still at it, and this is bound to be an excellent event.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Default Re: Matt Flinner & Sims Delaney-Potthoff workshops in Cleveland,

i made my reservations for both the concert and workshops.....looking fwd to it!
    just groove, baby!

I still need your string labels!